It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2005, 09:35 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

woman1001 HB User
I Am A Woman...lost 70% Of My Hair..

Hello, I am a 22 year old woman and I have lost 60-70% of my hair in the past 2-3 weeks, I was wondering if any other females has had any experience with this, or if you know someone that has had an expererience with this, I am becoming very depressed about it, i hope someone can reply, thanks

Old 03-29-2005, 05:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger_girl76 HB User
Re: I Am A Woman...lost 70% Of My Hair..

I don't actually know anybody personally that this has happened to but it sounds like Alopecia Areata. The cause is unknown and it's characterized by complete hair loss in roundish patterns.

Hair loss of 60-70% within 2-3 weeks is very dramatic. Have you been to see your doctor? If not you should probably see him asap. Mind you, I'm not saying it is alopecia...just that based on what you posted it sounds like it could possibly be that.

Take care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2005, 08:04 AM   #3
(female)

Freya HB User

Hi woman1001.
Wow. I can't believe this. I just checked this board on the offchance anyone had ever experienced what I had and I came across your post.

I'm 35. About 6 weeks ago over a period of 2 weeks about 80% of my hair fell out. It started from middle of my head and worked it's way out so that all I had left was a ring of hair round the edges. It looked ridiculous. It didn't fall out from the root - it fell out and left about 2-3mm of stubble over my head - plus the stupid long bits round the edges. I went to the hairdressers and got a weird concoction of extensions on the bits that were left and wore my hair up in a bun to hide the stubble.

Got sick of the extensions and took them out, then shaved the rest of my hair down. I now have about 1cm of hair all over. It's a bit drastic (too be honest it's very drastic and I cried all over again as I was having it done) and it took a while to get used to - particularly as I had shoulder length curly hair before that. But it was the only sensible thing to do I think. And believe it or not my hubby thinks I look sexier than I did before!

I actually think it might be an iron deficiency in my case because I have very frequent, very heavy periods. Plus I'm vegetarian. Anyway I've ordered Florisene tablets for women which is meant to help with this. The other thing it could be is stress I suppose. To be honest I don't really have a clue what has caused this - I'm just guessing. I had not done anything different to what I normally do. I just don't get it. I really don't understand why it fell out so suddenly and so quickly.

It is absolutely awful when it happens. I went into complete shock during the first week when handfuls of my hair was coming out - I couldn't even cry. By the second week when it was still coming out I was in tears the whole time. I took 2 weeks off work. Refused to go out. It was hideous.

So anyway. I am not only battling acne scars (which was the reason I joined these forums in the first place) but also hairloss! Christ! What a combination!

Woman1001, has your hair fallen out from the root? Or did it leave stubble? Is your hair starting to grow back at all? Where did your hair loss start from? Was it uniform shedding all over? Has it stopped falling out now?

I would agree that you should probably get checked out by your doctor. I should probably have done that but I didn't. Anyway, I am going to make an appointment soon to see if there's anything wrong. I don't think there is unless it's iron deficiency like I said before.

It is awful and upsetting when it happens and you become obsessed with your hair (well I did and still am). But sweetheart, keep your chin up and walk tall and proud - hair or no bloody hair.

Old 03-29-2005, 09:04 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

woman1001 HB User

Thanks for responding, I did see my doctor he diagnosed me with alopecia areata.... I am just amazed at how fast the hair loss is occuring..I have one round patch at the back of my head...and hair loss around the head in other places....I am left with some short hair in the front with some long hair in the back of the head...i have small pimples about 5-6 around the head..doctor said its part of the process and suggested some topical solution colebatsol propionate for the scalp ....he also suggested rogaine but I wont be using that becasue of the numerous side effects...am also taking zinc, biotin, and other multivitamins.....everyone is telling me its hair and it will come back with time....I am 22 and was suppose to graduate this semester....now I cant study I have to delay my semester...I dont know so far what could have caused this.......i got my blood test done ...everything was fine as told by my doctor....I have lost a lot of hair from the roots but it has also broken in half in the front....I am now also putting oil on my scalp cause the falling hair before kept gettin stuck in my normal hair....i am just prayin and hopin that it stops fallin out now....I have tiny hair growth in the round blad spot on the back of my head...thanks guys for posting a reply....i am staying in right now...its tough time.

Last edited by woman1001; 03-29-2005 at 09:17 AM.

Old 03-29-2005, 11:17 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger_girl76 HB User

Woman1001,

I'm very happy to hear that you've been to the doctor and gotten a diagnosis. At least now you know what you're dealing with. The most important thing is to try and stay positive and not to stress too much. I realize that's easier said than done and my heart goes out to you.

Just concentrate on trying to remain positive and remember that you can come to this board anytime to vent. We're all here for you.

(((BIG HUGZ)))

Nicole xx

Old 03-29-2005, 12:38 PM   #6
(female)

Freya HB User

Yes - it is a very tough time but hang on in there. Well at least we know there is nothing seriously wrong. And at least you have some growth in the bald spot at the back of your head.

I'm probably not much help because I don't understand this thing myself. All I can say is I have been where you are right now. I still have little moments when I look in the mirror and see how short my hair is but I'm just thankful that it's growing and isn't falling out any more. It sounds like yours is growing too.

I take multivitamins with zinc. I also take evening primrose oil, starflower oil and codliver oil - not that any of these things actually stopped my hair falling out in the first place but they haven't done me any harm so I'll continue with them.

You know what you could do if you you don't want to cut your hair? When your hair stops coming out go to a really good hair salon that does hair extensions. A really good hair stylist can work wonders with very, very little hair you wouldn't believe. Hair extensions weren't for me but that was just a personal choice. Plus it sounds like you've actually got more hair than I had when I had mine done so you've got a better chance of looking really good.

Think about it anyway because at the end of the day you've got 4 choices honey - leave your hair as it is and stay cooped up at home; leave your hair as it is and face the world; cut it off; or get hair extensions or a wig.

You cannot stay indoors forever even though you want to - God knows I wanted to stay home forever. So when your hair stops coming out and you feel up to it go to a hair salon - and I mean a really really good one - and ask them what they can do with your hair. Ask them about hair extensions - there's so many different sorts. Tell them to go easy on your hair - you don't want anything doing that's going to pull any more hair out.

I think you'll feel a whole lt better when your hair actually stops falling out. It's just continually seeing so much hair coming out all the time that really gets you down. And not knowing if you'll get it back again. Well yours IS growing back.

You know having really short hair isn't so bad. The worst bit is facing people for the first time. After that it's a piece of cake - promise!

And your hair is going to come back, sweetie.

(Big hugs from me too).

Freya
xxx

Old 03-29-2005, 01:09 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

jojo64 HB User

Freya, your hair didn't fall out, it broke off. When hair falls out, it falls out from the root and will not leave stubble. Your situation is totally different than the original posters situation.

Old 04-14-2005, 10:19 AM   #8

Nella985 HB User

Bump Topic...

Closed Thread