It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2005, 05:06 PM   #1
(male)

howhorrible HB User
How does Biotin help Accutane hair loss?

I experienced mild hair loss after my 4 month 40 mg treatment. I was on a low dosage for a low amount of time. My hair is pretty much only noticible to me, and I've become quite depressed because of it. I've experienced this problem since September, but I haven't seen any improvement. I haven't seen more damage either. I started biotin vitamins and I was wondering how this helps. I heard it makes your hair not fall out as much, but does this mean I'll have to take biotin for the rest of my life in order to keep my hair on my head or just until it's back to normal??? Does it get back to normal???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2005, 05:11 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

deltoro HB User
Re: How does Biotin help Accutane hair loss?

Its just like the nioxin products, stimulates growth, and keeps what is on your head there, all nioxin products are all natural, I am sure biotin is too. Look some info up on the net, I am going to use the nioxin products as a precaution when I start accutane, it can't hurt just as a precaution

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2005, 05:16 PM   #3
(male)

howhorrible HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltoro
Its just like the nioxin products, stimulates growth, and keeps what is on your head there, all nioxin products are all natural, I am sure biotin is too. Look some info up on the net, I am going to use the nioxin products as a precaution when I start accutane, it can't hurt just as a precaution
If I get off of it though, will it all fall out without the vitamin???

Old 03-28-2005, 11:29 PM   #4

Memnoch636 HB User

If your hair loss is due to taking Acutane, Biotin will not help.

Acutane is a man made variation on Vitamin A. High levels of Vitamin A will cause temp hair loss. Natural Vit A induced hair loss will usually subside a few months after steping down the Vit A intake.

HOWEVER, Acutane hairloss is not like Vit A hairloss. Acutane has been known to cause permanent hair loss. It hapens more often than the Manuf. says.

Biotin is a natural B vitamin that is actually produced by bacteria in your intestines. Biotin has MANY different roles in the body, one of wich deals with hair production. I won't go into it, but I will just say that it can not reverse damage done by Vit A hairloss, or Accutane induced hair loss.

I am very sorry. No one knows the real percentage of people who have Perm. hair loss from Accutane.
More often than not, your hair will grow back though. Just not as fast as you might like.
Taking a Biotin supplement will help your body produce stronger hair though.

Old 03-29-2005, 12:32 PM   #5
(male)

howhorrible HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnoch636
If your hair loss is due to taking Acutane, Biotin will not help.

Acutane is a man made variation on Vitamin A. High levels of Vitamin A will cause temp hair loss. Natural Vit A induced hair loss will usually subside a few months after steping down the Vit A intake.

HOWEVER, Acutane hairloss is not like Vit A hairloss. Acutane has been known to cause permanent hair loss. It hapens more often than the Manuf. says.

Biotin is a natural B vitamin that is actually produced by bacteria in your intestines. Biotin has MANY different roles in the body, one of wich deals with hair production. I won't go into it, but I will just say that it can not reverse damage done by Vit A hairloss, or Accutane induced hair loss.

I am very sorry. No one knows the real percentage of people who have Perm. hair loss from Accutane.
More often than not, your hair will grow back though. Just not as fast as you might like.
Taking a Biotin supplement will help your body produce stronger hair though.
But you do think my hair will EVENTUALLY get back to normal right??? Especially because mine isn't that bad. I'm very OCD and self concious so I make it much worse than it really is. It's just not as thick in the VERY front and in the corners of my hairline. I just hope SOME HOW it will come back. I wish I knew someone who went trhough it.

Old 03-29-2005, 07:35 PM   #6
(male)

howhorrible HB User

Also, why wouldn't it come back? It's a shock of the system? How COULD it be permanant?

Old 03-29-2005, 08:10 PM   #7

Memnoch636 HB User

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. I just wanted to tell you that there is a slight chance that your hairloss might be permanent. However it will most likely grow back.
At one time I would compleatly describe how Vit A would effect the hair folicles, and growth or lack of.
A few months and your system sould be back to normal. Biotin will most likely not solve your problems. It wouldn't hurt either. Goood luck.

Old 03-29-2005, 08:41 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

deltoro HB User

Ok, stress won't help hairloss either! The Nioxin products I use are used by cancer patients after hairloss during chemo treatments, its not prescription so you can get it at hair salons or order it online, stop worrying yourself to death, do something about it or this will eat you alive! Life is too short, especially since you said it was not all that bad, it could be worse!

Old 03-30-2005, 02:23 PM   #9
(male)

howhorrible HB User

Quote:
Ok, stress won't help hairloss either! The Nioxin products I use are used by cancer patients after hairloss during chemo treatments, its not prescription so you can get it at hair salons or order it online, stop worrying yourself to death, do something about it or this will eat you alive! Life is too short, especially since you said it was not all that bad, it could be worse!
Correct, I just REALLY want it back! So bad so bad so bad!!! AAAH!

Old 03-30-2005, 05:26 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

deltoro HB User

I can understand you wanting it back, start trying some products and let us know how it goes! There is always Rogaine as well, it is otc now and not that expensive anymore.

Old 03-30-2005, 06:01 PM   #11
(male)

howhorrible HB User

Quote:
I can understand you wanting it back, start trying some products and let us know how it goes! There is always Rogaine as well, it is otc now and not that expensive anymore.

OVERALL: Do you all think it will eventually grow back to its accutane consistency? Also, is it true it speeds up Male pattern baldness? How can this be true if accutane leaves your system? Does that mean that I'm going to naturally lose my hair sooner than I was originally going to?

Last edited by howhorrible; 03-31-2005 at 03:07 PM.

Old 03-31-2005, 03:07 PM   #12
(male)

howhorrible HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by howhorrible
OVERALL: Do you all think it will eventually grow back to its accutane consistency? Also, is it true it speeds up Male pattern baldness? How can this be true if accutane leaves your system? Does that mean that I'm going to naturally lose my hair sooner than I was originally going to?
fd

Old 03-31-2005, 08:24 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

deltoro HB User

Sorry, I am going to take an out on this one, I am not a male so I couldn't say on something like that, but it seems everytime you are given a solution you make another problem for yourself. You can sit around forever and wonder, when, will, what and how soon, and think of 20 billion other desperate questions you hadn't considered before. Take it one step at a time, try some products, do some research and take it easy on your self. If you sit around wondering about what could happen, instead of taking action, you will never know, and time is not a thing to waste, none of us have enough of it, and you can't get it back no matter what you do!!!

Old 04-02-2005, 05:18 AM   #14
(male)

howhorrible HB User

Quote:
Sorry, I am going to take an out on this one, I am not a male so I couldn't say on something like that, but it seems everytime you are given a solution you make another problem for yourself. You can sit around forever and wonder, when, will, what and how soon, and think of 20 billion other desperate questions you hadn't considered before. Take it one step at a time, try some products, do some research and take it easy on your self. If you sit around wondering about what could happen, instead of taking action, you will never know, and time is not a thing to waste, none of us have enough of it, and you can't get it back no matter what you do!!!

I'm just so OCD and depressed that sometimes I can't help it. Sometimes I wonder if my hair even IS Thinner! Sometimes I think its all in my imagination! I am such a screwed up person!

Old 04-02-2005, 12:14 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

deltoro HB User

No your not! I had severe OCD for years, could barely get out of the house in the morning checking and triple checking, I was obsessive about everything. One day I just decided I could live like this anymore and started healing myself, I was obessing about everything because I didn't like myself, and was afraid to change that, because if I did all the things to make myself better and still didn't like myself, what would I do then? I was afraid of change and it manifested its self as OCD, but I did it anyway, and day by day things got easier, I still have my moments, but after deciding to really love myself for who I was and change the things I could and live with the things I couldn't mine has virtually disappered. I just hate that I wasted so much time i can't get back. If you are unable to control yours you should seek some medication or guidance from a doctor to get you back on track. Your fine!

Closed Thread