It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2005, 04:38 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

melanie in mary HB User
hair loss due to chemical damage, HELP

I am starting to have hair loss due to chemical damage, coloring my hair with permanent haircolor. How can I help this? Besides of course stop coloring my hair, which I will. Thanks

Old 07-27-2005, 05:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger_girl76 HB User
Re: hair loss due to chemical damage, HELP

My best friend had this problem. She kept coloring her hair over and over with permanant hair color and ended up with a lot of damaged hair. What she had to do was first was stop coloring her hair..period. The stylist she went to said no hair coloring for at least a year. Then she had to have some of her hair cut off. Not all of it mind you..just all of the fried ends. After that it was all about intensive moisturising treatments. Chemically damaged hair needs a lot of TLC. My friend's case was a bit extreme because she was coloring her hair literally every week. If you stop coloring for a while and start using intensive moisturising hair masks I'm sure you'll be fine. Be sure to get regular trims to take care of dead dry/split ends and drink lots of water.

Take care!

Nicole x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2005, 11:06 AM   #3

Bardot22 HB User

Hi
I am sorry about your hair. I have been in that position too since I have been getting blonde highlights for years. Luckily I have learned a bunch of good tips after initially frying my hair.

THE BASICS
*If you absolutely must color only do the roots
*If possible, stop using styling appliances that use heat (I have to use a hair dryer but I use the lowest setting - helps a lot!)
*Do not shampoo everday if possible. There are many harsh ingredients in there. If you must shampoo everyday get one with no SLS in it.
*When you do shampoo, only apply it to your scalp and let the rest rinse down through your ends.
CONDITIONING
*Use a deep conditioner with protein once per week (don't use every day because too much protein can make hair brittle)
*Buy a good leave in conditioner (I love Redken anti-snap - I paid 17 bucks for it but it is worth every penny!)
*You can also invest in a heat cap to use when wearing conditioner. I ordered one on the internet for 20 bucks (helps the conditioner penetrate the hair better)
*Just in case - Don't use Pantene products! They only coat the hair and will not penetrate the hair like a good conditioner would - I learned this the hard way.

Once I started doing the above my hair just got better and better. Today I have minimal damage and my hair feels great!
Let me know if you want more tips. . . or more hair products that I used- I think I have tried almost everything!

Sorry this was so long. I could go on and on and on. . . .

Old 07-31-2005, 01:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanie in mary
I am starting to have hair loss due to chemical damage, coloring my hair with permanent haircolor. How can I help this? Besides of course stop coloring my hair, which I will. Thanks

I don't know if you go to a salon or color it yourself, but, in my experience, store-bought haircolor is really bad for your hair, it drys it out bad. If you color it again, get it done at a salon, it's well worth the price. However, do NOT get it done at Fantastic Sam's, they fried my hair, and burned my scalp, my sister-in-law had the same thing happen to her when she went there.

Last edited by kittywitty; 07-31-2005 at 01:17 PM.

Old 08-27-2005, 06:20 AM   #5
(female)

swtlilblonde31 HB User

If you are losing your hair due to chemical damage, you should see a lot of breakage. However if you are seeing a bulb at the end of the hair, you may have an internal problem. It is best to get to a doctor for testing just to be on the safe side. A dermatologist may also get you on a good road to healthy hair as well.

Old 08-28-2005, 07:12 AM   #6
(female)

wannahelp HB User

I agree with swtlilblonde. If you have been coloring over and over, yes you probably have destroyed your hair by stripping it of all its moisture. You will notice breakage, but not hair coming out of the scalp. If your hair is coming out of the scalp, it could be a number of things. Health problems, medications, and so on. See a doctor if this is the case. For dry hair and breakage, I recommend doing some intensive conditioning treatments. Apply it, put a bag on, apply some heat, and leave it on for at least 30 min. You also need to have regular trimmings until all the damage is cut off. Use only products for thermal styling. They will help protect the hair from blow drying, irons, ect.. Use a shampoo/conditioner for damaged hair, and use a stay-in contioner along with this. This only helps improve the look and feel of the hair. There is no cure or fix for hair that has been damaged. It has to be cut. See a professional for coloring in the future.

Closed Thread