It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2005, 05:55 PM   #1

indee93 HB User
Exclamation Hair Loss, Fatigue, Dizzy Spells and bruising

I just turned 30 in July, started nursing school, work a full time accounting job and have 4 children. NOW, I know people reading this will think that my problems are due to stress, but let me explain.

Hair Loss- I lose a good amount of hair after I shower, and after I comb my hair. This is not just 1-2 strands, but many. I do also lose hair throughout the day. I had a nice thick head of hair and now i can tell it is thinning

Fatigue- I am extremely tired ALL the time. Now that just might be from staying up late to study and getting up early to go to work. But I get at least 5-6 hours a night so not sure why I am so tired ALL THE TIME

Dizzy Spells- Those started in August. Doctor gave me decongestant because she thought my allergies had something to do with them. But I had a real good allergy season. Now it is October and I get dizzy after getting up from sitting down, just standing, after I eat and before bedtime. My ears do not feel plugged and I don't feel as if I am getting a cold.

Bruising- I have noticed bruises on my arms and from what, I don't know. I have a desk job, I have not lifted anything but my backpack and children. These bruises stick around for quite a while before they start going away.

I have been told that I need to eat more protein *by my nutrition instructor* and that perhaps my iron is low. I have heard that it is stress related and the fact that I am on overload might have something to do with it. I have a doctors appt tomorrow to discuss these symptoms, but want to know if anyone else has or is experiencing the same problems and what it ended up being. I am not a hypochondriac...and the only medication I am on is Paxil CR..........

Frustrated and wondering
Shana

Last edited by indee93; 10-13-2005 at 05:56 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to indee93:
blond67 (08-29-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2005, 07:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

crabbyroad HB User
Re: Hair Loss, Fatigue, Dizzy Spells and bruising

How long have you been on Paxil? I also lost more hair while on this medication, doctor dismissed it, but have heard from others they too, lose more than the average amount a day. I could literally just put my fingers through my hair, and end up with a bunch in my hand constantly. When I first was on paxil I was more fatigued but that went away shortly. I didnt bruise easily, so you may be anemic, which could explain the dizzy spells, also your BP might be on low side.

Old 10-14-2005, 05:20 AM   #3

indee93 HB User

I have been on Paxil for a year and a half....so I am sure that is not the problem. I am leaning towards anemia since the bruising happened regularly...I have been iron deficient before BUT only when I was pregnant. And I assure you, I am not pregnant...impossible.

So, thanks for the information. We will see come this afternoon if that is what they end up telling me.

Thanks

Old 10-14-2005, 05:59 AM   #4
(female)

jzzlvr13 HB User

Have you had your thyroid checked? After a year and a half of hell and lots of reading I can tell you it can cause all of your symptoms! It's so complicated and very difficult to control so that you feel well. I have had morning anxiety attacks EVERY day for a year and a half, waking me from a sound sleep at 5:00am. I is driving me absolutely crazy. I would definitely check your levels if you haven't had blood work. It's easy to find out where your levels are and rule it out. Ask particularly for a freeT3 and freeT4 test. They don't usually check those levels and they are extremely important for knowing what meds to give.
Good luck,
Barbara

Old 10-17-2005, 04:42 PM   #5
(female)

girlcat36 HB User

I started having hair loss, fatigue, and bruising around your age. I am 40 now. The bruising and hair loss I attributed to protein deficiency, I am mainly vegetarian so when I start to eat chicken again the bruising goes away. I have had good luck with protein shakes and taking prenatal vitamins for the hair loss. I also have occasional dizzy spells, which I attribute to a busy lifestyle and lack of sleep.

Old 04-25-2007, 06:41 PM   #6
(male)

dferr11 HB User

I have been on Paxil for 8 months now and I to have dizzy spells. This has to be from the meds. I am trying to wean my self off of it. I can't stand medication. Anyone have a suggestions. Thanks

Last edited by dferr11; 04-25-2007 at 06:42 PM.

Old 04-27-2007, 04:47 PM   #7
(female)

appleseed HB User

Any chance you were bitten by a tick? Could be babesia, if so.

Appleseed

Old 04-29-2007, 05:01 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi Shana. I agree about having your thyroid checked. Thyroid disorders are fairly common. Ask to have the Free T3, Free T4 (besides the T3 and T4) and thyroid antibodies tested in addition to the normal panel. They are not usually done but are necessary for a comprehensive view.

Get a copy of your results. If you need help interpreting them, the people at the thyroid board at this site are very helpful. Sometimes even if your results are in the normal range, they may not be optimal for you.

Good luck!

Old 10-14-2007, 07:10 PM   #9
(female)

lpyoung HB User

Hi- Shana i was wondering what response u got back from your Dr on these symptoms. I am just 24 but i have the same ones. I have had problems with fatigue that started in college and was told to be the result of anemia. I was taking iron pills consistently and felt no change even though I was re-tested to be at normal levels. I was tested for mono too but that was not the case.

Lately i have become concerned with how much hair i lose in the shower, sometimes so much that it clogs the drain before I've gotten out. I have really thin hair anyway so its making me nervous. But on top of that i can consistently through-out the day run my hands through my hair and have several strands in my hand.

Also, I bruise really easily, sometimes just from scratching myself. Lately I've been noticing a lot of small bruises on my arms and legs that I have no idea where they came from.

I was trying to ****** my symptoms bc I never know what to tell a Dr. when I try to address my issues and so I never seem to get anywhere. Anyway the symptoms don't seem to be going away. I would appreciate anything you have to say/advice you have!

Thanks, LPY

Old 10-14-2007, 07:31 PM   #10
(female)

tawyna HB User

hi
have your thyroid checked.
i lost hair before being diagnosed. oh how horribly tired. i have anxiety.
i get dizzy, shaky, tired , hair loss, constipated or diarreah. and many more.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:32 PM   #11
(female)

tawyna HB User

hi
have your thyroid checked.
i lost hair before being diagnosed. oh how horribly tired. i have anxiety.
i get dizzy, shaky, tired , hair loss, constipated or diarrhea. and many more.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:07 PM   #12
(female)

georgie04 HB User

I vote for a thyroid check too - I had very similar symptoms and that is what it turned out to be. Even the bruising which has never really been explained.

Good luck - and there are many very knowledgable people on the thyroid board. If you have the tests make sure you get at least TSH, free T3 and free T4 (some doctors only test for TSH which is not enough to tell what is going on). Get a copy of your results and post them there for any insights - unfortunately not all doctors are good at knowing exactly how to tell if there is a problem, as they go on outdated guidelines (I suffered for years because of this) so it is worth doing, plus get a second medical opinion if you feel you are being fobbed off with stress/depression explanations.

best wishes
Georgie

Old 10-16-2007, 09:21 PM   #13
(female)

minx1966 HB User

i will be 41 on the 27th. i have been losing my hair for about 4 years. it has gotten so bad that i have resorted to shaving my head. i could not even cook diner without getting hair in it. it was driving my husband nuts. i am tired all the time. i have to force myself to get out of bed. i get dizzy spells all the time. and i bruse very easy. my husband is constantly asking me where i got that bruse from. my mom has thyroid desease so i get checked often. the last time i was checked was about 1 year ago when they found a tumor on my pituitary gland. they tested me and told me it was nothing. they also tested my thyroid and said the numbers were fine also. what might be normal numbers for 1 person might not be normal for another. but alot of drs dont understand that. they pick one set of numbers and say thats normal for everyone. but its not. so i will be going back to the drs and getting checked out again.

Closed Thread