It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2006, 12:28 AM   #1
(female)

scooby coo HB User
hair loss and low ferritin levels

Help I m so stressed my hair is falling out big time it has been for a few months now at first I thought it was stress as I had just started up a new business also I knew I was in need of iron as I was getting all the usual symptoms being tried ,pale very dizzy etc .About a year ago I saw the doc due to the same symptoms (not the hair loss though )after a blood test he gave me a course of iron tablets as he said my iron stores (ferritin)were as low as they can get .Now I am experincing a lot of hair loss, my hair is everywhere after looking up my prob on net it said that low levals of ferritin can cause hair loss .Im due to see doc tom but was wondering if anyone has had the same or a simular experience .thanks for looking julie

Old 07-31-2006, 12:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lindsalou HB User
Re: hair loss and low ferritin levels

Hi there,
I have the exact same problem with low ferritin and hair loss, its really depressing. Im currently having yet more iron infusions to try to get my levels back up again.
Im having indian head massages twice a week and ive also invested in a product called nioxin thats supposed to help to encourage re-growth (ive only just started using it though).
My hair loss is mainly thining at the top of my head, so i use thickening products on my hair to try to make it less noticable, but i get really paranoid about it.
Post back if i can help you in anyway or just to share experiances.
Linds

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2006, 12:47 PM   #3
(female)

jandk7195 HB User

My ferritin level was at 1.2 and I too had been losing my hair in larger quantities then normal. I have been going once a week for intravenous iron. I have had 11 treatments and am feeling so much better and my hair isn't falling out like it was - just the typical hair loss when brushing.

Old 08-01-2006, 02:05 PM   #4
(female)

scooby coo HB User

[ Hi Linds,
I,m SO sorry you are experiencing the same problem as me. While on one hand its comforting to know I,m not the only one ,I still wish no one else had to suffer. Well I saw my doc yesterday and she has sent me for a blood test (the norm stuff b count ,b12 ,ferritin ,thyroid and a few other).
She said that my last level of ferritin back in dec 05 was 4 and for hair to grow normally it has to be 70 ,Need I say anymore ?
So I,m taking a multi vit with iron till I get my results on Mon ,I must say I am feeling a little better already my hair is still falling out but not as much .
I like you am mainly thining at the top well thats where its most noticable and I hate it I have just dropped two dress sizes and was looking forward to dressing to kill this summer and heading out on the town but no now I hate going out I feel like everyone is looking at me , well my head anyway .
My dear sweet hubby has been so good though he has been so supportive .And is always telling me I look good .
I guess I should have know I was in need of some Iron when I started to feel tried and when I started to crave meat (almost a veggie before ) but I ignored it, so busy taking care of everybody else and I wish now i had sorted back then and maybe I wouldn,t be in this situation now .
I hav`nt used anything on my sclap yet as I was worried it might cause what hair I have to break instead I am improving my diet exercising drinking lots of water and don,t laugh standing on my head to allow the blood flow to incease to my sclap only problem is I keep falling over but at least I,m amusing everyone here.
What is Nioxin and have you had any luck with it ?I will try anything .It would be so nice to keep in touch with you so we can share stories and advice It so nice to know I not alone thanks so much for your reply .Best Wishes Julie

Old 08-01-2006, 02:17 PM   #5
(female)

scooby coo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandk7195
My ferritin level was at 1.2 and I too had been losing my hair in larger quantities then normal. I have been going once a week for intravenous iron. I have had 11 treatments and am feeling so much better and my hair isn't falling out like it was - just the typical hair loss when brushing.
Hi Jandk wow your Ferritin level was low I thought mine was bad at 4 ,do you know your level now ?
I m so please your hair loss has stopped ,have you noticed any new hair coming through yet? yet? Also I was wondering was hair loss the only symptom you had or did you have any of the norm you know being tried ,dizzy ,brain fog etc .hope you coninue to feel better kind regards Julie

Old 08-02-2006, 04:27 AM   #6
(female)

jandk7195 HB User

Hey Julie

My ferritin level as of 8/1 is at 77. I also had other symptoms like extreme exhaustion, dizzy, eating 8lbs of ice a day, brain fog. It is hard to tell if my hair is growing back. I had a ton of hair to begin with so although I was losing a lot of hair it wasn't noticeable. I still have 3 more treatments then they are going to do an iron challenge test to see if I can even absorb oral iron. Otherwise I will be on maintenance IV iron forever. Have they considered doing Intravenous iron with you to get your iron stores up quickly? Best of Luck Kim

Old 08-02-2006, 05:25 AM   #7
(female)

scooby coo HB User

Hi Kim ,
Wow you have done well .To go from a 1.2 ferritin level to a level of 77 after only 11 treatments is brilliant I,m so please for you .
I hope you continue to feel better how do they do an iron challenge test ?I have never heard of this before .
I had a blood test today and will get my results on Monday .I am very keen to get my levels up as I have thin hair (unfortunetly) and my doctor said that we need a level of 70 for the hair to grow properly .
I am going to ask my doctor about intravenous iron as I am felling so tried all the time and very very dizzy .Also I have two young children one has just broken up from school for 6 weeks and the other is only 3 .so I need to get some energy back .
Did you take anything else to help you get your levels up so quickly ?I have been improving my diet I have started to eat red meat and be alot more healthy I have even tryed drinking stout as it is mean`t to have a lot of iron in it but I can bearly keep it down .well my best wishes to you Kim I hope you continue to feel better do let me know how you get on with your test ,kind regards Julie

Old 08-02-2006, 06:05 AM   #8
(female)

bella31 HB User

July 2005 I was losing tons of hair,My doctors thought it was stress.Finally in September 2005 they checked my ferritin because I was still losing alot of hair eating ice and had heart palpitations and shortness of breath.My ferritin was at 5.10 months later and 2 iron pills a day,my hair is still falling out.My doctor checked my ferritin and it went only up to 30.He told me to continue the iron pills.I am still tired and losing my hair.I want to know why its taking so long to get my ferritin up.If this continues I will have to make another appointment.

Old 08-02-2006, 10:01 AM   #9
(female)

scooby coo HB User

Hi Bella ,So sorry you are stll having problems .My doctor did say it takes a long time for your ferritin level to incease maybe you should see about having intravenous iron Im going to push my doctor on this as I like you am losing hair and its horrible I so despartly wont it to stop and grow back but I think we have to be very patient as my doc said that for hair to grow well your ferritin levels need to be 70 .Also my hair dresser said that hair has a 3 month cycle so it will take three months before you notice a difference the lady who posted before Kim got her levels up very quickly from 1.2 to 77 in about three months (I think ) and she had intravenous iron so it might be well worth you pushing your doc on this .Do let us know how you get on or even if you feel like a chat .I feel so much better knowing that I,m not alone and just `chating` to others in the same positon has helped take care of your self Julie

Old 08-02-2006, 11:32 AM   #10
(female)

jandk7195 HB User

Julie,

With the iron challenge they will take a fasting iron serum and then send me for a bit of breakfast. Forty five minutes later I go back and they give me iron pills with some Vitamin C and about 1-2 hours later they will draw more blood so see if the numbers have changed. This will determine whether or not I can absorb iron from the intestines or not. I have 3 children so I thought my exhaustion was from chasing them. I had a hard time getting out of bed and getting to and from work was becoming difficult. It is nice to feel normal again. Take care - Kim

Old 08-03-2006, 12:38 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

lindsalou HB User
Wink Re: hair loss and low ferritin levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby coo
[ Hi Linds,
I,m SO sorry you are experiencing the same problem as me. While on one hand its comforting to know I,m not the only one ,I still wish no one else had to suffer. Well I saw my doc yesterday and she has sent me for a blood test (the norm stuff b count ,b12 ,ferritin ,thyroid and a few other).
She said that my last level of ferritin back in dec 05 was 4 and for hair to grow normally it has to be 70 ,Need I say anymore ?
So I,m taking a multi vit with iron till I get my results on Mon ,I must say I am feeling a little better already my hair is still falling out but not as much .
I like you am mainly thining at the top well thats where its most noticable and I hate it I have just dropped two dress sizes and was looking forward to dressing to kill this summer and heading out on the town but no now I hate going out I feel like everyone is looking at me , well my head anyway .
My dear sweet hubby has been so good though he has been so supportive .And is always telling me I look good .
I guess I should have know I was in need of some Iron when I started to feel tried and when I started to crave meat (almost a veggie before ) but I ignored it, so busy taking care of everybody else and I wish now i had sorted back then and maybe I wouldn,t be in this situation now .
I hav`nt used anything on my sclap yet as I was worried it might cause what hair I have to break instead I am improving my diet exercising drinking lots of water and don,t laugh standing on my head to allow the blood flow to incease to my sclap only problem is I keep falling over but at least I,m amusing everyone here.
What is Nioxin and have you had any luck with it ?I will try anything .It would be so nice to keep in touch with you so we can share stories and advice It so nice to know I not alone thanks so much for your reply .Best Wishes Julie
Hi Julie,
I notice you too are in england, so the nioxin should be available for you, i get mine from my local salon. The kit i got is a shampoo, conditioner and a scalp treatment and it costs about £35 (so it better bloody work).
I laughed about you standing on your head, my falling over comes from drinking too much guiness (urgh), but i get to chill and its full of iron.
Have you got your resuts back yet?
Im having my next iron infusion tomorrow, to hope to get my ferritin up from 3.Keep in touch.
Linds

Old 08-04-2006, 08:35 AM   #12
(female)

scooby coo HB User

Hi Linds Thanks for the info regarding the Nioxin kit .I,m going to see my hair dresser on Wed so I,m going to ask her advice as I,m a little worried about putting anything on my scalp in case it makes my hair weaker .But do let me know how you get on .
How did your appointment go today ?Did you find out what your ferritin levels are now .I hope its up ,are you feeling better since having the iron infusions ?
I won`t get my results till Monday but to be honest it can,t come quick enough I am feeling so run down ,I,m sure my doc will try and give me iron tablets but I,m going to push for iron infusions .Did you have to push your doctor on this or did they offer you this treatment and how do they do it is it a jab in your arm ?.
I like you have been drinking Guinness and I totally agree its horrible ,why can,t a nice bottle of plonk be full of iron .Mind you its no where near as bad as the liver I TRYED to eat ,that came straight back up I can tell you .
Do you know what caused your low ferritin levels ? I think mine was a number of things ,I was a veggie,(no more I would rather eat a cow a day now than loss my hair ) not taking care of myself and skipping meals ,and the norm heavy periods god its sooooooooooo much fun being a women . Well take good care of your self its nice to be `chating` to you Its great to know you live in England too, you never know we might meet at the bottle bank while getting rid of our empty guiness bottles . do let me how you have got on best wishes Julie

Old 08-05-2006, 06:37 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

lindsalou HB User

Hi Julie,
I didnt have to push for the infusions due to the fact that oral iron goes straight through me (if you get my drift) so its not an option for me (they even tried the stuff the give to kids!).
Im not sure what my levels are at present, i'll find out on monday.

The infusions themselves are not very pleasant, i go to the heamotology/chemotherapy unit at the hospital and get attached to a drip full of iron (it takes about 30-40 mins). Meanwhile your sat with people having chemo who really are very poorly - it certainly gives you a different outlook on things!
Another thing i can recommend is a product called Spatone Water (sold in Boots and Holland & Barretts), its a sachet that you mix with orange juice, its an supplement that has the equivelent iron content to 8lb of broccoli and it doesnt upset your stomach, I honestly swear by the stuff, but wish they'd make a version you can mix with vodka!

My low ferritin is apparently caused by 'the joys of being a woman', but im now on the mini-pill and my periods have improved, also i dont eat a very good diet (i just cant stand veg) plus i had a c/section 18month ago and had a lot of trouble with adhesions afterwards.
Ohh to be a man!
Good luck with your results on monday, and let us know how you get on.
TTFN,
Linds

Old 08-06-2006, 06:45 AM   #14
(female)

bella31 HB User

Does anyone know if hair falls out more in the summer?My hair started to fall out last July.I been on iron and during the winter it still came out but not half as much.Now in the summer its falling out like crazy again.My iron went from 5 to 30 in ten months.I still take my iron,but when I wash my hair it comes out like crazy.

Old 08-07-2006, 09:55 AM   #15
(female)

scooby coo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella31
Does anyone know if hair falls out more in the summer?My hair started to fall out last July.I been on iron and during the winter it still came out but not half as much.Now in the summer its falling out like crazy again.My iron went from 5 to 30 in ten months.I still take my iron,but when I wash my hair it comes out like crazy.
Hi Bella ,Im sorry I don`t know the answer to your question but I am seeing my hairdresser on Wed so I will ask her and let you know .Also regarding your Ferritin levels are you just taking Iron tablets or are you trying to increase you levels by other means (diet ,etc ) also if you drink lots of tea ,coffee or fizzy drinks it could decrease your absorbtion rates .T ake care Aand best wishes Julie

Closed Thread