It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2006, 05:42 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

hollandlop HB User
How much daily hair loss is normal? What is not normal?

I heard people say that it's normal to loose 100 strands of hair a day. But that's impossible! If I was to loose that much hair every day, I would be bald in a week! I am 30 years old, but I feel like I have less hair now than a couple of years ago. I remember 5 years ago I had long hair, above my waist line, and it looked fine. Right now if I had hair that long, it would look very very thin and nasty.

My situation is bad because I have fine hair. Plus, I don't have much of it. I lose at least 20 strands in the shower. I'm afraid to brush my hair frequently now because everytime I run my fingers or brush through my hair, I lose a few strands. The strands don't break off, but they fall off at the root.

Is this normal? I am very concerned that my hair will get thinner and thinner.

Old 12-04-2006, 06:19 PM   #2
(female)

aliasnewname HB User
Re: How much daily hair loss is normal? What is not normal?

It's normal to lose that much hair daily....some of us more. I spend alot of time cleaning up my hair off the bathroom floor, so there's quite the opportunity to count 'em. I have always had fine thin hair, with receding hairline starting about age 18. Now that I am in my 50's, I just don't care so much, but when I was 30, it was very distressing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2006, 07:42 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

MoonLight0 HB User

It's very normal to lose 50-100 hairs per day. Most people do, and I agree, some lose even more. It depends on the thickness of your hair I suppose.
Losing 20 hairs is not a big deal.... my hair falls out the same in the shower, when I brush it, and I find tons of them randomly all over the place. I still don't see much difference in the thickness. I have really thick hair though, it's kinda annoying.

You shouldn't worry about losing that much hair since it's very normal. Don't stress over it.

Old 12-05-2006, 11:31 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

hollandlop HB User

Thanx for all your replies.

The reason why I'm worried is because I can see more scalp now than before. My hair is just below my shoulders now. But 5 years ago I can wear it very long and it would still look great. Now, I need to wear it much shorter because it looks thin.

And some of my friends also mentioned to me that I look like I don't have a lot of hair. It is pretty depressing.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:13 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

MoonLight0 HB User

If you're taking any medications that could be the problem. I guess if you're really concerned and stressed out over it, see your doctor and figure out if the changes are natural or maybe caused by something else.

Closed Thread