It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2006, 02:26 PM   #1
(female)

curious24 HB User
Hypo and Hair LOSS?? Plzzz Help!

Hi Everyone,

I have been on 100 mcg of synthroid for about two months now, before my TSH was at 56 and FT4 <.30

Besides the 10lb weight gain I've been starting to feel a little better, though a couple weeks ago when I was home visiting my family for Thanksgiving I noticed my hair was falling out a lot more than usual. After I took a shower I literally had a large handful of hair to clean up out the tub. My mom and sister were in shock at how much seemed to be falling out, I thought maybe it would just be for that day or something, but it hasn't stopped. I wash my hair as little as possible lately because its too depressing to wash it and see the amount of hair that comes out. I had to get a haircut last night and my beautician was also in shock, saying that the amount of hair i loss during the time i was there it should take someone over a month to lose. I've always had really think hair so thankfully I had some to spare

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I'm convinced its the medication and not the hypothyroid but I'm not sure. I see my endo next week so maybe he can shed some light on it.. But any input, support that it will get better, advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Old 12-07-2006, 03:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User
Re: Hypo and Hair LOSS?? Plzzz Help!

Some insist the medication causes the hair loss. I think the illness causes the hair loss.

Either way, most seem to agree the problem will at least begin to go away by about three months after you are receiving enough medication. For most people, that seems to be about three months after you reach a TSH of 1 or 2. Some feel leveled at 2, others at 1.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2006, 03:49 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

hi im sorry to hear about your hair probs and relate to yopu ive lost way more than half and imm
hypo and ive been hyper on the meds the evening primrose oil helps it stop falling out a bit but its still not growing back mind i had really heavy periods also and my ferritin went real low and that alone causes severe hairloss so im told but get your iron checked mine is ok make sure they test your ferritin as hypos do get anemia problems unless you are menapause ????? get your good vits the evening primrose oil, your cod liver oil eat eggs somtimes oh yes and liver extract post back about what you think love from katxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 12-08-2006, 11:04 AM   #4
(female)

curious24 HB User

Thanks for the replies! Well I was hyper before RAI then I turned severly hypo.. when I was hyper I would lose hair too but nothing like this.
I've been on the depo shot for almost two years so I don't really deal with having menstural cycles though since I've been hypo I had a couple days to wear I spotted way more than normal. I'm going to ask my doctor about Ferritin and what he thinks.. He did test my iron two months ago and it was a little low, I've been taking a multi vitiman before bed but havne't noticed a difference. Ohha nd I'm far from menopause
I'm only 25, so I guess I have a long road ahead of me watching these damn thyroid problems!

Old 12-08-2006, 11:57 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

lol good job you cant hit me over the net lol for asking you about the menopause! i flippin hope its not that aat your age! so yeah if your irons been low for a while it could have took its toll on the old ferritin so it might be a good idea and the old depo can be a bit like that did you put weight on with the depo and i hated it , did you say you were hypo now yes i think hair is worse when hypo rather than hyper????? love from katxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 12-08-2006, 12:34 PM   #6
(female)

curious24 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pursie
lol good job you cant hit me over the net lol for asking you about the menopause! i flippin hope its not that aat your age! so yeah if your irons been low for a while it could have took its toll on the old ferritin so it might be a good idea and the old depo can be a bit like that did you put weight on with the depo and i hated it , did you say you were hypo now yes i think hair is worse when hypo rather than hyper????? love from katxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Haha.. Yeah lets hope not!
I never put on any weight with my depo shot, my gyn seemed shocked about it, but now I wonder if it was because I was hyper before and it balanced out.. who knows..
And yeahh hypo now and its wayyyyy worse! Its just frustrating, I mean I really like my hair! lol

Old 12-08-2006, 12:47 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

lol youre defo a mate yeah it is worse hypo than hyper i lost more round the front areas and it was thinner yuk it really is a bummer isnt it im crying with you truly my hair was long and blonde and i was a proper barbie i was thinking of a wig or hair peice as they are really accepted now, im a hairdresser so ido have a few extensions underneath and that gives me a little confidence but round the front is devastating is yours gone thinner round the front im peeed off at the age of 30 it started im now 35 so you must be p.o. yes get the ferritin checked use evening primrose oil and make sure they get you up to one or near by best of lick love from a mate katxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ps did your anxiety seem worse hypo or hyper i found the hypo was worse post bac if you canxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by pursie; 12-08-2006 at 12:48 PM.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:56 AM   #8
(female)

curious24 HB User

Yeah I find that it seems to be more around the top and front area also..
Hmm my anxiety, well it pretty much seemed the same either way when I was really hyper I just felt so depressed most of the time and would want to just cry for no reason, snap very easily... and before I started the synthroid when my levels showed really hyper I was pretty much the same.. just unhappy most of the time, stuck to myself becuase if I didn't I would end up going off on who ever was around me for no reason what soever..
Lately I'm doing a lot better though.. My emotions are more under control and I dont' nearly feel as stressed out as I did a couple months ago...

Old 12-12-2006, 05:54 AM   #9
(female)

Zuzu's Petals HB User

Hello, I'm new to this board, I wrote my story on a previous thread, but no one has responded, I guess it must be too long. I have tons of questions, but I don't want to put anyone off so I'll make this short with just a few.

I am very hypothyroid, I was put on .75mcg of levothyroxine (synthroid??) I've only been on it a few days. After reading your posts, I'm very scared...you mean my hair will fall out??? will it grow back??? ever??? I've been gaining weight over the past month, I gained 20 lbs. in about 6 weeks time, am I just going to keep gaining...and gaining??? I'm 35, and I want to have one more child, is there hope I'll be able too??? I also have a goiter now, that's about the width of my neck, so it's quite pronounced??? will this medication I've just been put on, help this?? I know some of you will probably say, ask your doctor about this, but unfortunately, my blood work came in late this past friday, and my doc called me with results that I am very hypothyroid on my answering machine, and put me on the medication asap for over the weekend. I don't see her again until tomorrow (Wed.) when I also have a ultrasound done on my thyroid/goiter.

Please help shed some light on this for me....anyone???

Zuzu

Last edited by Zuzu's Petals; 12-12-2006 at 05:55 AM.

Old 12-12-2006, 09:43 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

birchtree HB Userbirchtree HB User

Hi ZuZu - love the name!

IMO, one of the basic "rules" regarding thyroid is that EVERYBODY IS DIFFERENT even though we suffer from similar symptoms.

Please don't worry about your hair if it's not happening to you! As you review these boards you'll see many more "new" symptoms - again, everybody is different, and hypothyroidism affects people in many different ways.

I know that's easier said than done - I'm now working on getting my meds straightened out and the "what ifs" creep into my brain every day!!

Remember - You are now on the road to RECOVERY.

take care

Old 12-12-2006, 11:51 AM   #11
(female)

Zuzu's Petals HB User

Thank you Birchtree....I just wish this would all go away like RIGHT NOW!! As I'm sure others would as well....it's so frustrating...and I really don't know too much about all this yet. Thanks for your words of encouragement.

Zuzu

Old 12-12-2006, 12:46 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

zu sorry youdidnt get a reply i would have if id seen it darlin it often happens to me lol and it makes me feel sad spose there are so many threads and things going on but hi to the boards from kat and wishing you a speedy recovery and im going to pray for all of us and hope our hair grows bac but if it dosent im glad ive met all the wonderfull peps on the board .and if i hadnt had this disease then i wouldnt have found my best freind ever! here on the boards, hello and some thyroid buddiesxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx i would have been so lost and alone without them god bless katxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 12-19-2006, 12:41 PM   #13
(female)

curious24 HB User

Sorry it took me so long to reply.....

I'm not sure what everyone's idea of "very" hypothyroid is but any lil bit i think is enough!
My dr upped my meds to 125mch and I"m hoping I'll start feeling better...
I have to agree that everyone is different, everyone has differnet symptoms, my sister and aunt are both hypo and have been on synthroid.. neither have experienced the hairloss.. as far as me, its horrible and is not getting better, i'm really starting to get worried
Now its all the time, not just when I wash my hair that i notice hair everywhere.. i swept and va****** my house yseterday.. jeez! it was unbelievable how much hair was on my floor! My doctor told me not to worry that I wouldn't go bald but its at least half as thick as it was a month ago and very depressing, he said that once my medicine gets on the correct dosage and my levels get normal it should stop and start to grow back.. but i'm skeptical!
I haven't gain any more weight which i guesss I should be thankful ... its only been about 10 pounds since becoming hypo, my goiter that I had from being hyper has seemed to have shrunk which i guess is good but i think i would have kept it if it means losing all my hair!

My only advice would be to read up as much as you can and ask questions, be aware of your situation, i bought the book thyriod for dummies and the thyroid solution which has helped me understand a lot but no one seems to be able to answer your questions directly or tell you how to treat problems.. so hopefully i'll come accross something before I go bald at 25! eeekk!

Old 12-19-2006, 01:10 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

oh no it will get better take some evening primrose oil all the time it helped me alot love from katxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxx

Old 01-10-2007, 06:35 PM   #15
(female)

Mauve HB User

Hi Curious

I'm new to the board and this is my first post. I feel compelled to write to you 'cause i totally feel you on the hair situation. I've been loosing my hair for about 11 years. About four years ago I consulted with two dermatologists and they basically blew me off cause
my blood work didn't indicate anything strange and i appeared to have a lot of hair, to them anyway. So i went on suffering as i saw my hair leaving my head and me not being able to do anything about it. [/COLOR]

To make a horribly long and tragic story short, I was diagnosed with hypo about 3 months ago. I've been on meds and i have seen no difference with my hair situation, it continues its steady abandonment of my head. I can see my scalp more and more and I have a horrible feeling that i must brace myself for the worst. I get the sense, from reading other's postings, that this hypo illness is going to be a continuing, never ending struggle for balance.
I wish that the hairloss was the worst of it but unfortunately it's not for me. I'm depressed and my mind is crippled by mental fog. I however, am an insane optomist. I hope that i can one day post that my "Chakakon-like" mane has returned and that my mental sharpness and brilliance have been restored.

to a hairy future

Closed Thread