It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2007, 01:08 PM   #1
(female)

littleninja HB User
Unhappy Does Atenolol cause hair loss?

Hi. I'm new and this is my first post.

I've been on atenolol 25 mg since November 2006 and was wondering if it causes hair loss or hair thinning. Has anyone had any experiences with this?

Just wondering. Thanks.

Old 01-19-2007, 04:00 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

nuttygirl HB User
Re: Does Atenolol cause hair loss?

I too am taking atenolol 25mg and have had thinning hair the entire time - since 1998. At first I was on 50mg twice daily and the hair loss was minimal, maybe twice what you would normally lose daily so I just lived with it. Well, in the last year since dropping down to 25mg once a day my hair has REALLY become thin. Every time I shower it's everywhere, like a handful. I talked to my doc and she said she highly doubts it's the atenolol at this low dose and said it wouldn't have become worse after decreasing the dose. Well, whatever is causing it better be found out quick with all the blood work she did last week - I'm afraid I'll be bald at 37! Hopefully it's something easily corrected. But yes, atenolol can cause hair loss for 1-5% of people who take it. It's just weird that dropping my dose caused the thinning to worsen that's why my doc thinks it may be thyroid, anemia or hormones.

Talk to your doctor if it's a problem, we need to keep our hair!

Good Luck,
Tori

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
(female)

littleninja HB User
Re: Does Atenolol cause hair loss?

Thanks. I'll talk to my doctor but it seems like some of the other bp meds are worse. I don't want to go bald at 39 either.

Is there anything I can do besides quitting atenolol to keep my hair from thinning?

Cheri

Closed Thread