It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2007, 06:11 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

viktik HB User
If you've had some hair loss during peri, does it come back?

Hi everyone,

Since peri hit hard 2 years ago, I have had some hair loss near my right temple. I am blonde with fine, thin hair. Even though the curling iron and hairspray help greatly, I am bothered by the hair loss. Has anyone else noticed some hair loss? If you are post-menopause, has it grown back? Do those of you with thyroid disorders notice any hair loss?

Any response will be greatly appreciated. Have a great Sunday everyone!

viktik

Old 01-22-2007, 10:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

marian100 HB User
Re: If you've had some hair loss during peri, does it come back?

i have a little patch where my hair has thinned. and it hasn't grown back. in fact it seems like my hair is thinner than it used to be. i have had a thyroid condition for several years called hashimoto's. the hair loss started long after i was diagnosed with it. i guess you could try rogaine. good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2007, 12:17 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

deinee HB User

Hi,
I lost alot of hair when I was fighting anemia caused by heavy periods. The hair has not grown back in so far and I doubt it will. Thankfully, I have fairly thick hair so the hair loss hasn't been too noticable. I work with a lady that has lost a ton of hair since starting peri and it is so thin on top you can see more scalp than hair. She is trying Rogaine, but so far not much difference. I wish the hair would fill back in, but I think it's doubtful. One more thing that we can blame on our hormones! I think your family history plays a part in it too. Take care.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:21 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

nero HB User

I am perimenapausal and the last few months had major hair loss just as during pregnancy. I am trying a new hair spray that you spray at the roots and it is great; it gives you volume and your hair looks and feels better. My hair is blonde and thin but I used to have lots of it. I assume its hormone changes as in pregnancy but dr. did a blood test as I also have had major fatigue. Hope it is not thyroid. I am not sure about Rogaine...although it is specifically for hair loss. Remember, you can always wear hair extensions or a wig. Yeah extensions or actually pretty neat. At 47 I wear them sometimes for a party and they are quite natural and look real....afterall you only get one kick at the cat. Have some fun....nero

Old 01-28-2007, 07:34 PM   #5
(female)

Middleagedcrazy HB User

About 8 yrs ago, I started loosing a lot of hair. As my hair was extremely thick, it was only noticable to me. I started using rogaine and have used it faithfully ever since. It did stop the hair loss. The first box will cost you 19.99, but every box has a 5 dollar coupon in it, and I figured I was worth 14.99 a month.
Fast forward to now. I skipped through peri with only bitchyness and weight gain. No hot flashes, had a partial hysto in 96, so no periods. But still there are so many problems. I wish I had have went to a doctor when the hair loss started. You really need to get your thyroid checked. I just started thyroid medicine January 1st. My hands an feet are just freezing. It isn't constant, but I will just suddenly get really cold and even with 2 pair of socks on cannot get warm.
Also, find you a female doctor. In my experience, male docs are not much interested in menopause problems. I have suffered for the last two years until I changed docs. Good luck!

Old 01-29-2007, 02:12 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Isis498 HB User

The general facts; if you are peri, meno, or postmenopausal, there is a decent chance you might be hypothyroid somewhat, more so if you are meno or post. If you get that treated and your TSH 1 or under, and provided your female hormones are in a good range for you (usually), your hair loss will many times correct itself. You may not grow loads and loads of hair back, but most the of time you WILL see it stop coming out so badly, and at least some of it come back in.

Even if you've been Hypo for a while, if you're not getting enough thyroid replacement you're fighting a losing battle. Lots of Drs. tend to undermedicate.

And, of course if you need and want HRT, that works in harmony with the thyroid, too. Bioidentical, of course. JMHO

Closed Thread