It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2007, 12:51 PM   #1
(female)

firepiper66 HB User
hair loss, how much is 2 much

hi everyone,
i lose alot of hair, my hair that use to be one of my finer assets has become course, brittle and falling out. i use a conditioner and am surprised that after i comb it when i'm dry i can take out 1/2 cup to a cup of hair, my shower is also full of hair. is this too much?

iv'e been dealing with possible thyroid issues for eight months. my tsh is low normal as are my free t3 and t4, t4 is actually at the lowest end of normal before it's abnormal.

i'm also suffering from
depression *i've always been very spunky, lively
insominia
dry skin
mouth sores
vertigo/lighteheadedness
muscle aches/pain
no energy/no motiviation
prologned heavy bleeding during menstruation
sciaticia
cubital tunnel syndrome
eye fatigue
sinus congestion /ear fullness
don't each much but don't lose weight.

i recently turned 40, mom to two boys, 6 and 7. go to my pcp tomorrow, who by the way doesn't know me from adam, have seen neuro, ortho, ent, cardio, numerous lab results, mammogram, gyn visit, nothing showing.

tsh in july

free t3 in nov. 2.7 out of 2.5 - 3.9
free t4 in nov. .90 out of .90 - 1.8
had ct of head, mri of neck and c spine with/out contrast...nothing showing.
grandma had goiter (is this hypo) cousin on same side (hypo)

what other tests should i ask for, or for that matter add to my slip once they're ordered. i just feel so unme it's sad, i can deal with muscle pain/.aches, it's the mental/brainfog/vertigo that has me going crazy.

thanks
katie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2007, 01:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User
Re: hair loss, how much is 2 much

I still think your labs are indicative of secondary hypothyroidism and, if I were you, I would keep going until I found a doc knowledgeable enough about that to either treat it or definitely rule it out.

I said that before, so sorry if I sound like a broken record.

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showpost.php?p=2819678&postcount=10

Topic starts here:

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=474766

Last edited by ErinBeth; 02-27-2007 at 01:25 PM.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:43 PM   #3
(female)

firepiper66 HB User
Unhappy Re: hair loss, how much is 2 much

hi there,
thanks for your response. why are my labs indicative of secondary hypo? i had a ct of my head and a mri of head and neck, all normal. my h/h was normal as well.

what exactly are you indicating could be a problem:? i'd like to be prepared is why i ask. my thyroid labs are normal and all tests normal as well. are their other tests that would indicate this? are you insuiniating that i have cancer of some sort?

please responds, i'm curious and want to prepare myself.

katie

Old 02-27-2007, 04:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User

Actually, I am not insinuating anything.

I am saying your labs are unusual for someone who is not taking a T3 medication. I am telling you what I would do if I had labs back like that. I am not even beginning to try to diagnose your condition. For all I know, there might have been a problem with the lab.

Even if you do have secondary hypothyroidism, I would not be one to tell you what needs to be done to treat it. You would need a knowledgeable physician to either diagnose that and treat it or rule it out.

Last edited by ErinBeth; 02-27-2007 at 04:05 PM.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:14 PM   #5
(female)

Judy Anne HB User

Make sure it isn't borderline hypothyroidism but also have a doctor check for other possibilities. Sometimes we focus in on one thing too much. It's easy for you and your doctor as well to decide you are depressed or have fibro.

Several years ago I was feeling like this. The doctor was sure I was "just depressed". Sure I was depressed after being terribly sick for two months. My husband and I pushed for more testing and it turned out from the spinal test that I'd had meningitis!

Old 02-27-2007, 04:16 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User

Perhaps some words from midwest1 will explain better than I could and help allay any fears I may have inadvertently caused you.

Please check out the following link.

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=432754

Last edited by ErinBeth; 03-17-2007 at 12:28 PM.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:34 PM   #7
(female)

firepiper66 HB User

thanks for all your help, i'm just kind of freaked right now and will take anything i here as "oh my god " what's wrong kind of thing. i know your not insuinating that i have something or not, this thyroid thing is so confusing. i'll let you guys know once i know.

thanks for your help, it's appreciated.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:15 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User

Please don't be freaked. All we really can see is that the labs don't look normal, hyper or hypo and you have hypo symptoms. If the labs are correct, it could indicate secondary hypothyroidism. If that actually is the problem, you want a knowledgeable physician. If it isn't the problem, you want it ruled out.

Fear won't help anything and, from what midwest1 says, there is no reason to be frightened. She has really studied all this, so I would be inclined to believe her if she says not to let it frighten you.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:58 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

hi pursie here ukxxxxxxxxxx
um i was diagnosed with hashis but the anti bs were low and ive always been sensitiv to thyroxine i always wondered is this a secoundry hypothyroidism in other words a pit problem or is it boderline hashimotoes ????? interesting thred is it poss that this is what i have to i ahd to come off thyroxine but have always been sensitive to a tiny amount>?????? love from pursiexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Closed Thread