It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2007, 01:14 AM   #1
(female)

Mrs_Richie HB User
Does Levothyrox cause hair loss? Please HELP!!!

Hi everybody,

I have experienced many symptoms of hypothyroidism such as chronic tiredness and hair loss. For that reason, I go to the doctor and have my thyroid test. However, the result show that my TSH and T3 are at low level of the normal range and only T4 is a little bit lower (I'm sorry for not putting the exact number of each hormone here; I will, for sure, add them later). Additionally, I have a thyroid cyst. My doctor does not think that I am now suffering from hypothyroidism. However, he recommends me to use Levothyrox 50mg/ day. I read somewhere else that Levothyrox itself can cause hairloss, which frightens me much because my hairloss is very serious now. I also read somewhere else that my thyroid test result can be interpreted that I am suffering from secondary hypothyroidism or T3 not being converted into T4 well. So please help me answer some questions as folows:

1. Am I suffering from hypothyroidism?
2. Does Levothyrox cause hair loss?
3. Do I have to take any more tests to exactly define my hair loss problems?

I'm very sorry if my post is too long to read or if it has too many questions to answer or it is posted in the wrong place. But please help me! I'm just 27 and find no effective treatment for my hair loss in my country where people do not consider hair loss an illness or hair loss says much more things than your hair only.

And please be assured that any of your feedbacks will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for listening.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2007, 01:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User
Re: Does Levothyrox cause hair loss? Please HELP!!!

hi mrs r,
this post always comes up on here and i think the thyroid prob is much worse foryour hair than the drugs mine got better but i had low iron as well do you have heavy periods from your thyroid probs its a bummer mine started at 30 and i relate as it makes us girls really bloody sad mine was awfull and it still is weird when i go out of range but it does get better if you get better and get to the right level for you sending hugs from the uk and keep us posted love from pursiexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxx

Old 03-01-2007, 01:49 AM   #3
(female)

Mrs_Richie HB User

Thank you so much pursie for your very quick reply and your "hugs from UK" and love as well I have not carried out any blood test. Maybe I will do it tomorrow and hopefully, it will tell me something about my situation. I will report my results as soon as they are available. In the meantime, please help me clarified whether Levothyrox cause hair loss.

Last edited by Mrs_Richie; 03-01-2007 at 01:50 AM.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:54 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm thats the million dollar question isnt it mrs r my hair stopped falling out when i went hyper an d i was on the thyroxine wich is the same isnt it ans what you are on a t4 drug never find i feel better on it though somehow maybe a little boost in the beggining but my hair got a bit better after having the drugs and it did getrb worse before it got better when i first went on it in the beggining???? hope thats some help hugs from the uk love from pursiexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: confused:

Old 03-01-2007, 03:42 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User

Hi Mrs R,

I'm Helen. I'm hyper. I married a marine who served in viet nam. We live in rural tennessee now. Retired and living the good life.

Thought I'd say hi and send a hug too.

Actually the Levothyrox should help with the hair loss if it's caused by the hypo. Getting hormone levels back to where they should be is the key. I often have a lot of hair loss when I'm too hyper. The hair just doesn't like having the wrong amount of thyroid hormone. It seems to take about 3 months after the levels come back in line for my hair loss to subside but it will come back.

Sorry you have to be going thru this.

Hugs,
Helen

Old 03-01-2007, 08:19 PM   #6
(female)

Mrs_Richie HB User

Hi pursie,

Not only your information but your hugs from UK help me a lot. Love

Hi accessn12,

Thank you very much for your sharing. Yesterday, I have done some blood, kidney and liver tests. The good news is that everything seems to work well. The bad reason is that I will have to experience a surgery which will make me stay at the hospital for nearly 1 week to eliminate my thyroid cyst. Interestingly, the doctor recommends me not to use Levothyrox any longer. He said that the thyroid cyst cannot result in hypothyroidism. My thyroid tests also does not reflect that I'm hypothyroidsm. So I cannot know where does my severe hair loss coming from. I have asked a question on the forums of Hair loss that "how can I know I am an androgenetic alopecia victim" but it seems that my questions is either too difficult or too silly to answer. I have received your hugs and they make me feel much better. I do hope that these hugs that I am going to send you from Vietnam by DHL will also help you too.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:53 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi again,

I appreciate the hugs too. I like not feeling alone with this.

Interesting. So you're not hypo. How long you been taking the Levothyrox? Perhaps it brought your levels up too high and caused the hair loss.

The other thing that crosses my mind is the fact that people experience a major hair loss usually 3 to 4 months after a severe illness. You weren't sick by any chance back in let's say about November were you? I thought I was going bald about 3.5 months after I had pneumonia once a couple years back.

So why so long in the hospital to remove the cyst? Here in the states, even removing the whole thyroid is usually just an overnight stay. Did they tell you what type of cyst it is? I'm a curious person. I don't sleep much either so I like to get up and ask questions. I also like to learn about how things are done in other parts of the world. So if you wanna talk, I'm usually around somewhere. I got sick when I was 24. I'm going to be 48 next week. I'm in a hyper phase right now and I'm sure the other board members will agree, I like to talk.

Take care,
Helen

Old 03-02-2007, 05:30 AM   #8
(female)

Mrs_Richie HB User

Hi Helen,

Thank you very much for your sharing. I have used Levothyrox 50mg for nearly 1 month. The doctor who prescribes it for me does not think that I have hypothyroidism (as I said before, only my T4 seems to be abnormal). Well, about the cyst. Luckily, my cyst is harmless. I myself don't know why the doctor yesterday (at another hospital) thinks that I will have to stay in the hospital for about 1 week.

I am not happy to know that you got sick when you are 24 and you have to live in peace with your illness for 24 years now. I admire your patience and bravery. Really! So, if you have anything and want to share with me, please drop me some lines. I am always more than willing to talk to you.

Hugs and love

Old 03-02-2007, 05:42 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Richie View Post
...have my thyroid test. However, the result show that my TSH and T3 are at low level of the normal range and only T4 is a little bit lower
I'm not sure I agree with your doctor based on these results. Even the sickest hypothyroid people I've seen here rarely have T4 below range. Usually, they get treatment when both T hormones are still within range. It would be more accurate for you to have your free T hormones tested; but in this case, even a below-range total T4 with low-normal total T3 would indicate hypothyroidism. And that surely would be a common cause of hair loss.

I wish you luck.

Last edited by midwest1; 03-02-2007 at 05:45 AM. Reason: oops... wrong country

Old 03-02-2007, 06:26 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi midwest

I was hoping you'd wander in with your insight into hypo land.

Mrs R,

Midwest is going to be your best resource when it comes to hypothyroid. She's got a lot of experience.

Do they have the free T4 and free T3 tests easily available over there? I have no idea what your medical system is like. I'd be really interested to hear. Like midwest said, the Free hormone levels would probably give a bit more insight.

I'm glad to hear the cyst is harmless. Did they say it was solid or fluid filled?

What kind of doctor do you see? Is it a regular doctor or an endocrinologist or someone who specializes in thryoids?

Another question: Are you vietnamese or just there for another reason? See, I've read somewhere something that had to do with persons of asian descent and thyroid problems. I'd have to look it up again but there's something tickling the back of my mind on that.

Actually the 24 years has been the length of time that I've truly known I had something wrong. I've probably been a bit hyper my whole life. I'm kinda used to it except when it gets out of hand once in a while. It was probably more of a problem for my folks when I was a kid than it was for me

I've got my appointment with the endo next tuesday and hopefully he'll finally be able to do something about this. An actual diagnosis other than "atypical" is what I'm looking for right now. Then maybe something can finally be done about it.

So what's in Singapore?

Old 03-02-2007, 07:40 AM   #11
(female)

Mrs_Richie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
I'm not sure I agree with your doctor based on these results. Even the sickest hypothyroid people I've seen here rarely have T4 below range. Usually, they get treatment when both T hormones are still within range. It would be more accurate for you to have your free T hormones tested; but in this case, even a below-range total T4 with low-normal total T3 would indicate hypothyroidism. And that surely would be a common cause of hair loss.

I wish you luck.
Hi midwest1,

I'm so happy that there is one more people interested in my post. First of all, thank you Midwest1 for listening and sharing. And as recommend by my friend - accessn12, I will try to ask you as many questions as I have. Just kidding!
Don't be afraid and don't run away, do you?

So, do you think that I am now suffering from hypothyroidism? I would like to make clear that my doctor who is considered to be specialized in thyroid does not think that I have hypothyroidism based on my results. As I mentioned earlier, TSH is considered the most important indicator showing the status of your thyroid and according to what I have consulted with my doctor, my TSH indicator is absolutely "normal"; I only have a slight problem with T4 which is, in his opinion, not convincing enough to jump to the conclusion that I am suffering from hypothyroidism. However, I have a chance to read an article related to hypothyroidism. It mentions about "secondary hypothyroidism" with both TSH and T4 are low-normal, which I deem to exactly describe my status. Unfortunately, my doctor seems not to know about it or he is not interested in my case enough to think about it. Have you ever heard about "secondary hypothyroidism"? If yes, are you willing to tell me about it? Hugs and love.

Old 03-02-2007, 07:52 AM   #12
(female)

Mrs_Richie HB User

Hi accessn12,

So happy to receive your feedbacks again.

I am a Vietnamese female, 27 years old, single and trying in vain to stop my hair loss and stimulate hair growth That is the description about myself. I will stay in Singapore from April, 2007 to (at least) November, 2008 to finish my MBA course at a Singapore-based university.

Well, you have raised an interesting question about the thyroid treatment in Vietnam. As I have talked to Midwest1, the first doctor I have consulted with is deemed to be specialized in thyroid problems. The second doctor that I talked to yesterday is a general doctor who seems to know nothing. Sorry to say that about him but that is my feelings. It is easy for us to have TSH, T3 and T4 here in Vietnam. However, the problem is that doctors are not devoted to equipping themselves with a comprehensive understanding of thyroids (I would like to quote myself as an example of this conclusion). And even worse, they are not good listeners. Surprisingly, it happens even when I go to international medical care, where I have to pay much higher than state-owned hospitals.

I am not optimistic about my treatment prospect in Singapore. You know, I am a student and the Singaporean does not allow students to work and therefore, I will have no chance to find a part-time job during my study in Singapore. It also means that I will be unable to afford treatment cost in Singapore.

It seems that I have talked too much about myself when you are the right person that really needs sharing and listening from others. I will be very happy to hear you again. And, in the meantime, please be assured that I am always standing beside you. With love and hugs.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:45 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

I've met very few doctors who know what they're talking about. Sounds like your medical system is as bad as ours.

Oh, I looked up that asian thing and it all had to do with hyper and the fact that the periodic paralysis from thyrotoxicosis is more prevalent in asian males. So I guess that's a moot point. I just knew I had run across something somewhere. I research a lot.

I like to hear about you and where you live and what you are going thru. I'm here in the middle of nowhere surrounded by people who have never been anywhere but here. I absolutely love living here. Sometimes I miss a bit of variety.

I also miss access to good medical care. We have one doctor to take care of the whole county. He doesn't know the first thing about thyroids and really doesn't have time to learn. I'll be traveling to the "big" city to see the endo at the university.

I may finally get somewhere this time. I've been beating my head against the wall for a long time with this. I have normal to high TSH and high thyroid hormones. Secondary hyperthyroidism I do believe. We'll see.

Actually I did pretty well for about 12 years with only some minor bumps in the road just taking beta blockers and staying out of the clutches of the doctors and refusing their suggestion of RAI ablation. Got bad again last May and have been trying to get medical care since then. Been waiting 4 months for this endo appointment. I'm putting a lot of hope into this appointment. I'd really like to feel well again.

Is there any chance you could post your exact lab results for some of the people around here to take a look at? There are some very experienced people who seem to be a bit more knowledgeable than a lot of doctors when it comes to interpreting labs. They need to be. They're the ones who have to live it.

Take care,
Helen

Old 03-03-2007, 06:37 AM   #14
(female)

Mrs_Richie HB User

Hi Helen,

I cannot find my thyroids tests anywhere For that reason, I cannot follow your very good idea that I copy my result to this forum so that other experienced and helpful people will help me struggling with my hairloss in a correct manner.

Maybe in next week, I will do some thyroid tests to see whether Levothyrox help me back to my hormonal balance or not. Thank you, Helen for your always standing beside me

I also hope that you will find a good doctor who has a comprehensive and updated understanding of their specialization and most importantly, he should be a good listener. Nice weekend, my friend!

Old 03-03-2007, 07:02 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Mrs. R,

I'm working on a good weekend. The sun is shining and it's supposed to warm up a bit a little later today. I think I shall enjoy some sunny warmth after a cold winter. Is the weather nice over there this time of year? My husband said it did get a bit cold in the winter time but what he remembers the most is the monsoons.

It would be great if you could get new labs and post them. I think there are a lot of people here that can help you interpret them. I'm glad you found this group cause I think you will find a lot of help and support here.

I agree, a doctor should be a good listener. I will make sure he has cleaned the wax out of his ears before I speak to him this time.

I hope you have a very good weekend too.

Helen

Closed Thread