It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2007, 04:50 PM   #1
(female)

Jacinda HB User
Thyroid Antibodies and hair loss

Could having high thyroid antibodies cause hair loss and other symptoms (very low energy, constipation, anxiety) even though TSH is within the 'normal' range? How high would the antibodies be in Hashimoto's? My sister had Hypothyroidism, so it's in our family history.

My test results:
Thyroid Peroxidase Ab 11 (ref. range <12)
Thyroglobulin Ab 153 (ref range <34)

TSH 3.4 (re. range 0.3-5.0)

On my copy of the results sheet from the lab it states:

"Thyroid Antibodies: Levels up to 100 IU/mL can occur in normal subjects (5% of males, 15% of females - mainly elderly) and may also occur in non-thyroid autoimmune and chromosomal disorders.

Raised levels may occur in prodromal hypothyroidism before TSH elevations occur and may also be seen in thyrotoxicosis, thyroiditis, non-toxic goitre and thyroid cancer. The levels seen in Graves' Disease and Hashimoto's can vary from normal up to >1000, but are usually elevated."

If you're there Birchtree I would be interested to know what your antibody levels were when you were first treated.

All the best to everyone.
Jacinda

Old 05-10-2007, 06:59 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sparkles916 HB User
Re: Thyroid Antibodies and hair loss

Are you being treated for hypothyroidism? Your labs suggest you should be.

As far as the antibodies and hair loss, I don't know for sure, about the antibodies being at fault, but hypo can affect the hair and be related to hair loss, esp in terms of its being thin.Certian antibodies are involved in alopecia areata, but these are restricted to the hair follicle.

I complained of major hair loss since I was in my teens, now 41 and treated last year with hypo that went undiagnosed for years. I have seen no sign of it returning as yet

I have done some research on the matter of hair loss, and found that a very significant determinant in hair loss was low ferritin. Many hypo patients have related iron deficiency. Check your ferritin level. I understand from dematologist research on hair loss and ferritin, and some postings, that one needs to be above 70 serum ferritin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2007, 09:12 PM   #3
(female)

Jacinda HB User

Sparkles, thanks for your reply. No I'm not being treated for hypothyroidism because my TSH comes within the 'normal' range. My doctor said she would be prepared to treat me if it rises to 4.00, so I'm having another blood test in 3 months time.

My ferritin level was about 40 in February, which is low normal. So I'm taking iron supplements in case this is contributing to my hair loss. I'm sorry to hear you've suffered with hair loss for so long. Did you have low ferritin? How much hair have you lost? I feel I've lost half of mine, but it may not be quite that much.

Best wishes,
Jacinda

Old 05-11-2007, 08:08 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

birchtree HB Userbirchtree HB User

Hi, Jacinda,

First of all - Sparkes is right - your doctor is WRONG. The new standard for hypo is a TSH higher than 3.0. Please find a new doctor!!! You should be treated. Your TSH is too high. my humble opinion.

When my antibodies were finally tested, while I was having severe hair loss, my other tests were "normal". My antibody level was 837 (range 0-34)= hashis.

My doctor (nurse practitioner) now believes my excessive hair loss was caused by a combo of my dying thyroid/T4 depletion and the excessive antibodies. The cause of my hair loss now is probably hormone fluctuation because I just lowered my dose a month ago (this happens to a number of ladies who stop taking birth control, etc.)

My nurse practitioner just tested all my vitamin, mineral and hormone levels (love her!) I also just tested low normal iron - I will be visiting a nutritionist on May 16 to determine exactly what supplements and how much I should take.

Sorry to hear your suffering from severe hair loss - it's amazing how much you can loose and still have a "full" head of hair. Take heart - WHEN you start working on recovery, your hair will recover - it just takes TIME AND PATIENCE.

keep us posted!
B

Old 05-11-2007, 08:24 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

birchtree HB Userbirchtree HB User

Hi, Jacinta - me again!
I meant to add:
1. I have light to moderate hair loss now
2. when I had severe hair loss, I also had severe scalp burning and sores on my scalp. Still have slight burning sometimes, still get sores sometimes - does this happen to you at all? I went to two dermatologists and they ruled out alopecia and contributed it to thyroid problems. My NP thinks its all thyroid/hormone related as well.
3. Seriously - your TSH is high! Please take care of yourself...
b

Old 05-11-2007, 08:50 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

sparkles916 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacinda View Post
My ferritin level was about 40 in February, which is low normal. So I'm taking iron supplements in case this is contributing to my hair loss. I'm sorry to hear you've suffered with hair loss for so long. Did you have low ferritin? How much hair have you lost? I feel I've lost half of mine, but it may not be quite that much.
My ferritin was 18, and now 20 after supplementing for a month. Looking back at old records, I see I was 20 back in 1997.

I started losing hair in my late teens, about the time I started feeling very fatigued. Probably a combo of low ferritin even then and incipient hypo.

My sister's hair is still as it was in her younger days. Mine was the same as hers at one time. So, I use her hair as a standard for mine. Hers, I can hardly put my hand around it ---- Mine, being curly and thin, if I make a pony tail, it looks like some old 60's rocker dude's. It has gone through stages, lots of loss and distinct thinning areas esp on the sides of my head below the part and above the ear. A nice patch in the back crown area too, so I always have to make sure it is "just so" and covered. boo hoo. As far as loss, I would say at least half. It used to scare me when tons would come out in the shower, or end up in my hair brush. Now, I just try to ignore it. Incidentally, I am an early greying person, started in my teens and now probably 80% grey (I am now 41). But, I have colored it for years, so I don't know the actual amount. Too scary to contemplate!

Old 05-11-2007, 09:46 PM   #7
(female)

Jacinda HB User

Hi Birchtree, thanks for your reply. Yes I do have a slight burning scalp at times, nothing like you described though. Haven't noticed any sores there, but it does get itchy, as does all my skin at times.

As for the TSH, well my doctor told me she would be severely reprimanded if she treated me with TSH at my level. In this country they still use the old reference range. She doesn't think any doctor here would treat below 4 at least. So I don't know whether it's really worth bothering to try and find another doctor.

I see your antibodies were quite a lot higher than mine, so maybe mine are not considered high enough, I'm not sure how high they have to be to diagnose Hashis. Still trying to learn about all this. My sister who had hypothyroidism didn't live in the same country as me, so I didn't get to hear much about it at the time and she has since died. (Not thyroid related!)
Many thanks for your kind words.
Jacinda

Old 05-11-2007, 09:55 PM   #8
(female)

Jacinda HB User

Hi Sparkles, I know exactly how you feel about the hair loss, it is such a shock when you see it all falling out and can't do anything about it. I'm glad you still have hair left after starting the loss so early. I've taken to wearing hats more now and headbands which help a bit.
Good luck to you!
Jacinda

Old 05-13-2007, 10:12 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Jacinda-I'd like to ask you about whether you have made progress in getting your ferritin level up. Mine is 38 , I see your level was 40 when diagnosed in Feb. In the past three months were you able to move the level up much? Also were you told to just take an over the counter supplement or placed on a prescription drug? I am taking Slow Fe by Novartis -47.5mg ferrous sulfate it is over the counter. I have only taken it now for one month. As I had blood drawn recently, it was re-checked along with other iron tests and other tests as well.

I am bummed out about my hair. I think the untreated hypo (hashi's) hurt my hair quality, but when I started levothyroxine it fell out for about 3 months. It's not falling out so much now( at 8 months) but still some and the quality is not good. I want my good quality hair back but somehow think that there is no chance. If I get ther ferritin level up as Sparkles said -I wonder if there will be improvement.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether a hypo (hashi's) on replacement can ever get their silky hair back or is that gone for good??

Old 05-13-2007, 11:08 PM   #10
(female)

Jacinda HB User

Hi Osteoblast, I haven't had my ferritin level checked since February, as it is in the normal range ( normal:30-150) so my doctor is not concerned about this. However, as I don't eat a lot of red meat, I'm taking an over the counter supplement to get my level higher, hoping it will help my hair. However, I'm not sure about iron being the cause of my hair loss, as my ferritin was down to 22 in 2003 and I didn't notice any hair falling out then.

What was your TSH when you first started treatment? I've heard that once your TSH is down to the right level for you your hair will stop falling and grow back. Glad to hear yours has stopped falling out at least, sounds like your treatment is working in that respect, perhaps you just need some more time.

All the best
Jacinda

Old 05-14-2007, 10:25 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Jacinda-my tsh was 14 when I was first diagnosed. My t-4 was 1.1. Because I had just undergone surgery which was traumatic for me, the dr. said people in the hospital generally have elevated tsh and so maybe mine would go down without treatment. I didn't know better. I should have done research and read this board back then. I just relied on the dr. Two months later I went to an endo. at that time the tsh was 17.6 (t4was 1.3) ,I think the endo was disgusted that I hadn't been started on thyroid replacement earlier.

But, I had no hair loss until I started levothyroxine. My hair had , however, started to change quality- it lost its luster and became dry over the past few years. Now, I don't know whether that was menopause or the untreated hypo.

About the ferritin level- for the past 25 years approx. I have hardly eaten any red meat. Maybe on average 2x a year. So, I wonder if that was why my ferritin level was 38. So, I understand your desire to try to up your ferritin level with supplement only. The really good thing about the not eating meat is that my bad cholesterol is way low and my good cholesterol is very high. My new dr. said you could live a very long time , we need to get the rest of you functioning better for the long run.

Jacinda as you are taking thyroid replacement and iron , are you aware that you need to separate the two by 4 hours? My dr. didn't tell me this, I found it out through researching on the net.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:24 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

sparkles916 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by osteoblast View Post
Jacinda as you are taking thyroid replacement and iron , are you aware that you need to separate the two by 4 hours? My dr. didn't tell me this, I found it out through researching on the net.
Thats a good point, osteoblast. I found out on the web too. No dr mentioned it to me. Life is sooo complicated LOL. No iron within 2 hours of thyroxine, iron best absorbed on empty stomach, but not always tolerated, so can take with food, but not with dairy or caffeine, thyroxine best on empty stomach.

I never seem to get on schedule...

Old 05-14-2007, 04:09 PM   #13
(female)

Jacinda HB User

Osteoblast, I'm not as yet being treated for hypothyroidism as my TSH is 3.4 and falls within the normal range. Where I live they still use the old reference range. Thanks for your tip about the iron, which will be helpful when I eventually get treatment.

All the best,
Jacinda

Old 05-15-2007, 03:30 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

iona_23 HB User

i must say, yes hair loss has happened to me. and i have hashimoto's thyroiditis. my ranges are pretty high. and i've noticed that i'm experiencing alot of hairloss. pretty depressing and stressing. i don't know what to do myself. i am not completely bald. but there is quite alot of strands that do come out. i am not on synthroid and heard that causes some hair loss as well. so double whammy right there. i just pray for some sort of recovery for all of us on this board. g'luck.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:53 PM   #15
(female)

Jacinda HB User

Iona, maybe your TSH just hasn't reached the right level for you yet. Some people say their hair loss stops when they reach the right level, but I believe it takes a lot of time. How long since you started treatment?
I wish you all the best and hope things will improve soon.
Jacinda

Closed Thread