It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2007, 11:15 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

birchtree HB Userbirchtree HB User
Hair Loss, Heart Palps - Peri?

Hello,
New to this board....a friend on the thyroid board recommended I stop by here and say hi.

I am 42 and am in terrible health right now. I had a total thyroidectomy Sept 06 (thought cancer but luckily no cancer) and have been trying to regulate my thyroid meds since then. I've been to a number of doctors about my inability to regulate my meds and my terrible symptoms - anxiety, heart palps, depression, disrupted sleep, night sweats, hair loss, etc.

The hair loss has been especially bad lately. I recently lowered my thyroid med for about 2 months (mistake last doc made)...I am now raising it again. In the meantime, my new doc checked my progesterone level during my luteal phase and found it to be almost non-existent (by saliva test).

My question is - why wouldn't he check estrogen as well? I think he was just testing according to the HAIR PROBLEM but I still wonder...I will ask him but I want to hear from those who have lived "it"....I still get monthly periods - 24-26 days, new cycle schedule occurred right after thyroidectomy (used to be 30-32 days and heavier). Is this why he didn't check??

I am starting compounded progesterone (pills!) in about a week, 15 days into my cycle.

Do you think the progesterone will help...or hurt? I've never felt so overwhelmed, sad, and out of control over my body in my whole life.

thanks much,
B

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2007, 09:58 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

deinee HB User
Re: Hair Loss, Heart Palps - Peri?

Hi,
Welcome to the menopause board. We all can relate to your symptoms. I have not had any hormone testing done, from what I have read and researched, I don't think it's that reliable. Hormones change so fast, it's hard to get a good answer. I tried progesterone cream before with terrible results. My periods got very heavy. I understand the heart palps very well. It's my number one peri problem. From what I've read, the palps are caused by changing hormones, mainly dips in estrogen. I went 4 months with no period then had 2 back to back. Now the palps are in full force again. I understand your fustration. We would just like our bodies back to normal again, but I worry this might be the new normal! Sorry I can't help more, just know your not alone. Ann

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2007, 10:48 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Hi Ann
thanks for your kind e-mail. It is nice to know you're not alone but it's so frustrating that so many of us still feel awful in this day and age. Why haven't they (scientists, docs, etc.) figured it out yet??
My palps are especially bad after a glass of wine (usually my limit)...same with you?
thanks again and I hope you have better days ahead...
B

Old 08-08-2007, 01:49 PM   #4
(female)

Barbz615 HB User

hello. first I would like to assure you that you are not alone! Read through the boards and most here feel that same overwhelming / loss of control feeling.
Until I found these message boards I was ready to write it off as a nervous/anxious issue.
contrary to what 3 docs told me I'm 99% convinced the symptoms I've been having are hormonal. I'm 41 and have had just about every peri symptom in the book for approx 2 yrs, I've had hormones tested and was told they are within normal range but reversed (whatever that means???), thyroid was low but not low enough for treatment ( another ???) The only fact that I did find through my own research that the first doc told me was it is very hard to pinpoint hormone levels through bloodwork, unless I want to go to the lab everyday. I'm still not convinced that I suffer from "anxiety" for no reason.
I kept track of my cycle for the first yr and found very specific symptoms occuring on/around certain cycle days. Even on medication for anxiety I get some symptoms ... much more tolerable but again as soon as I feel something I count the days and again on/about the same day usually every other month (left side ovulation, cramps on lower left side) my cycle changes every other month too, one month 3 very light days the other normal 4/5 days and this info still hasn't struck an MD as anything suspicious ???????????????? especially after yrs & yrs of a very routine cycle

with these results of my own it makes it alot easier. The fear of "losing it" has gone away now I just ride it out for a few days and as usual it goes away and I'm fine for awhile.
Sleep issues are the most recent but this month is the odd month, again, I will wait it out a few more days and it probably (hopefully) will correct itself as it has many times before

Last edited by Barbz615; 08-08-2007 at 01:50 PM.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:53 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

hi, Barbz - any plans to find a doctor who will treat with bio-identical hormones (and test thru saliva)? May help you, who knows. My regular doc certainly wouldn't bother - I want to a doc who specializes in women's hormone issues and she did the saliva tests. I'm now with a naturopathic doc who tests for the same thing...except he didn't test estrogen, which is weird!

Also - please ask for copies of your tests - you have that right - and you will be able to see what the heck "reverse" means - that's a new one on me. Please let us know!!!!

thanks for your kind response. After a horrid day yesterday I'm pretty good today - and I'm grateful for the few good days I have!!!

B

Closed Thread