It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

birchtree HB Userbirchtree HB User
Hair Loss - going to salon tomorrow!

I'm petrified of getting my hair cut. I'm still experiencing a good amount of hair loss...this is the first apt I've ever had while going thru a serious shed.

I'm scared - am I being a complete idiot?? I just can't bear the thought of somebody washing my hair and having my hair come out all over their hands. And then we have to talk about how dry and straw-like it is.....

My hair is half way down my back now - it may be shedding, but it's still growing!

Far, far worse things could be happening in my life, I know - slap some sense into me and tell me about your positive experience at the hair salon....

thanks
B

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2007, 02:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Hair Loss - going to salon tomorrow!

I have very thick hair, and when I went for my RAI, and had my hair done, I was sooo embarrassed of my baldspots. I warned the guy who does my hair, and he told me that he has a lot of customers much much worse.

He not only worked with chemo. patients, but there are a lot of women with very very little hair, they hide it pretty well (and he helps them!) and he said compared to them---I had tons of hair.

I made sure not to switch hair pp. until my bald spots grew in quite well (even though they are just now getting to the length of the rest of my hair over 2 years).....there are many many women out there with hair issues---I know a young girl in my neighborhood with such little hair, she's taken to wearing a natural wig (and it looks great!).

You may find that keeping it shorter actually makes it look much fuller....Keep your sense of humor, I think that helps, and nobody will see it as bad as you do! Good luck....

Last edited by Reece; 09-03-2007 at 02:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2007, 03:58 PM   #3
(female)

Pumpkin59 HB User

ive got appt this week also an im scared too..i noticed my hair was thinning since i went with out hair cut in 4 months an i have super thick hair my sides are thiner but im going with a shorter hair cut above my sholder im sure you will look wonderful an every thing will come out fine good luck !!!

Old 09-08-2007, 06:46 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

birchtree HB Userbirchtree HB User

Hi pumpkin,

Just thought I'd let you know the dreaded hair cut was actually a nice experience. How did you do?

I was so distraught when I got there my hair dresser sat me down, calmed my nerves, and told me she was more than happy to cut my hair "dry" (wet with a spritzer and cut).

She said she could tell I lost hair but that I still had "plenty"...she also begged me for advice as she is having thyroid issues as well and is tired of getting no help from her doctor. She's owner of a very successful salon and just can't afford to be tired all the time. So - we both wept a bit....

She cut about 4 inches off and my hair is just below my shoulders - I asked her to go shorter but she thought it would be too much of a shock - I think she was right.

I sitting here in front of the computer with my hair down and not feeling my hair fall all over my arms - first time in a while. I think cutting it has had a good psychological effect. I'm not stressing out as much about it because I feel like I finally have some control over it by being able to cut it - I know I'll be able to go to the salon again...and not be frightened to go! So may be less stress has reduced the hair fall. Who knows.

take care,
B

Old 09-08-2007, 09:51 PM   #5
(female)

mbbasketball HB User

Hi, I am sorry to hear of your hair problems. I know what you are going through. I lost all, every hair on my body, head after the birth of my first child. Went to every doctor for several years. Finally just resigned myself to being bald. Then after 15 years of no hair, it just started to grow back. Every once in awhile, I get a bald spot. Then I go to my dermatologist and he inject a little steroid around the bald spot. That seems to stop the process.
I know stress of losing your hair does not help, but you have stress when you are going bald.
I would suggest to all of you to have your ferritin checked. That is your iron store. It is not a test that is usually done by your doctor. I found out that my body does not absorb iron so it could have been low for years. Plus having hypothyroid, now on meds had help with the hair. Your ferritin should be at least 70 for healthy hair. Check out the anemia board, there is a lot of information about ferritin level and hair.
Considering what other people have to deal with ie cancer or such, I feel very blessed that little less hair is all I have to deal with.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:48 AM   #6
(female)

sue54 HB User
Smile Re: Hair Loss - going to salon tomorrow!

Can anyone give a reason from thier Doctors or Dermetologists re hair loss. I have the same problem.Right side,front very noticable.As far as how it looks I really don't care,just wanted to know why? MS related or what? Anyone know? I'm going to my Neuro this week.Thank you, Sue54 p.s. I am on Thyroid medication and monitored regularly, Thryoid fine on Synthroid.

Last edited by sue54; 09-10-2007 at 09:50 AM.

Closed Thread