It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2007, 04:16 PM   #1
(male)

byrdganggoonies HB User
Hair loss and flaking scalp

long story short ive been losing hair quickly since last yr. lost the temples and my hairline is higher. have diffuse thinning all over the top and sides.

i started usin nizoral shampoo at the beginning of this yr on a suggestion by someone. they told me the description of my hairloss was seborrheic dermatitis.

i had been seein lots of flakes in my hair thought it was dandruff. ive always washed my hair with head & shoulders dandruff shampoo and never had a problem before w/dandruff. upon further inspection i think its actually dead skin flakes.

recently i noticed at the top of my forehead by the temples and hairline the skin is literally peeling off, and theres sort of scab-like marks on my skin. my scalp has been rather itchy as of late too.

in addition ive had skin problems in the past couple yrs too......psoriasis on my hands, rashes all over my body, my face is extremely red and cant get rid of redness, acne breakouts

if anyone can tell me whats wrong id love to know. i dont want to lose my hair at 23 but im hesitant to take rogaine or propecia if im not losing it due to MPB

Old 11-02-2007, 10:31 AM   #2
(male)

wayne_MI HB User
Re: Hair loss and flaking scalp

I would definitely go seek a dermatologist, but I think very few dermatitis conditions can cause hair loss.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2007, 03:56 PM   #3
(male)

byrdganggoonies HB User

yea thats prolly my best bet

i saw a doctor for a bunch of symptoms ive been experiencin and when i mentioned the hairloss she didnt really say anything

what i got from peeling skin and hair loss:

Causes: Possible diseases
# Burns
# Eczema
# Exfoliative dermatitis
# Psoriasis
# Vitamin A overdose

maybe exfoliative dermatitis....ill have to look it up.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:01 AM   #4
(female)

brandy76 HB User

I was going to post about this too, my scalp gets very flaky in the same areas you have. I can literally scrape my nail on the scalp to remove all the flakes. then it scabs up.

Dandruff shampoos are so drying & only tangle my hair & make it very hard.

I told my derm about this & she prescribed me some anti itching gel, but i don't think it was meant for the scalp & it just made it more dry.

Let me know what helps you.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:27 PM   #5
(male)

byrdganggoonies HB User

that sounds like me....my hair gets real brittle too even when i use anti dandruff shampoo

the scalp under my hair is just completely peeling off......and when it peels off i lose the hair too

its gotten really bad and my scalp is itching a lot

Old 11-12-2007, 10:15 PM   #6
(female)

lynnrr70 HB User

Women should not take propecia. Rogaine or monoxodil does work on most people. it does keep the hairs from all falling out. I have been losing hair for the last year and was diagnosed with aga (androgenic alopecia). still working on the cause (looking into a rare thyroid result). .Whatever the cause is, dermatologists tend not to help you unless your problem becomes grave, or unless you are willing to get a punch biopsy, which can confirm hair miniaturization aka Androgenic alopecia. the miniaturization can be caused by a number of things. Rogaine does work as it can increase your hair growth a good amount. I had to stop taking it after 8 months due to a strong allergic reaction on my scalp, but that is not common. I recommend it if you dont mind the maintenance. when I stopped using it, everything that grew in from rogaine aka monoxodil, fell out. its a risk you take to keep some hair from falling out!

as for the flaky scalp, I have seen in myself an uncanny correlation between hair shedding and scalp irritation. I have read on med. websites that people with hair miniaturization often get to enjoy flaky scalps. nice, eh? it is not pleasant, but I feel for you, i am there too!

Last edited by ms_mod; 11-13-2007 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 11-18-2007, 04:00 AM   #7
(female)

Lilz HB User
Thumbs up Re: Hair loss and flaking scalp

has anyone here ever heard of going SHAMPOOLESS??? i just found out about this about a week ago... for about a month now my scalp has been Flaking and Peeling right around the edges... starting at the top of my Forehead and going down the sides of my Temples... but no where else... it doesnt look like Dandruff at all... it looks as tho i have been sunburned you know? it just shows up in Big Chunks of peeling skin... someone last week told me about Going Shampooless! instead of washing your hair with shampoo, you wash your hair with CONDITIONER... and you use Conditioner WITHOUT SILICONES... and never use a Regular Terry Cloth Towel to dry your hair... you need to get whats called a MICROFIBER TOWEL... i found some Online for about $20, but i also found out that people use these Microfiber Towels to clean their Cars because it soaks up water like crazy! so i went to Walmart and found one in the Automotive Section for only $6... they told me i could use these Conditioners... V05, SUAVE, or even WHITE RAIN... and you can get any of these AND the Microfiber Towel at Walmart for under $10... its only been a week for me and it does seem to be helping, so i going to keep going Shampooless and she how it goes! just make sure you rinse all the Conditioner out after washing, and dont SCRAPE your scalp... only use your FINGERTIPS... you do this Once or Twice a week only and if you wash your hair more than this, then only Water Wash it during the week... im telling you Its Working For Me! Try It! doesnt hurt to Try...

Old 11-18-2007, 12:21 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

melanie in mary HB User

Could it be scalp psorisis? I get patches, like scabs on my scalp and when I use some kind of psorisis shampoo it does help but it makes my hair a tangled mess and it still feels dry when I use conditioner afterward. I don't know what the solution is if anyone knows please let the rest of us know.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:13 PM   #9
(male)

byrdganggoonies HB User

scalp psoriasis.....maybe

i did have psoriasis on my hand.....still do. at least thats what i assume it to be, rashes on my hand. went to the doctor a couple yrs ago for that and was perscribed some fluocinonide cream. that somewhat calmed it down when i used it but it still lingers.

i went to the doctor a month back and never got it figured out. been havin all kinds of stuff wrong......had a blood test done but never heard anything about that.

i wish i could figure out what it is...ive tried everything and it continues to get worse

my face is completely tinted red and my skin literally peels off on my forehead and on my scalp. its crazy.....i dont see this as male pattern baldness. i have a bunch of bald spots on the top of my head....the side and back seem to be fine but i dont know. its completely thinning, and my hair is thin to begin with. i started shampooin less, ive heard you dont need to shampoo everyday so i do every couple days. used nizoral but that hasnt stopped the flaking at all. ive stopped usin it and use regular anti dandruff shampoo. im honestly scared to wash my hair nowadays because it falls out when i do.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:59 PM   #10
(male)

miked27 HB User

byrdman...i have the exact same thing as you...

my hair is constantly falling out from an inflamed scalp from what a doctors have called either a fungal infection or seborrheic dermatitis or MPB....

i've been to 6 dermatologists, 4 said it wasn't MPB, 2 thought it was, none of whom could help me control it...i am going to my seventh in a week or so, but i'm not sure what the point would be.

here is a list of what i have had either presribed to me, bought OTC, or holistic treatments that I have tried with very limited success:

Olux
Luxiq
Clobetastol
Nizoral 1%
Nizoral 2%
Selenium Sulfide
DHS wZinc
DHS wSalicylic Acid
Loprox
Head and Shoulders (varieties)
Neutragena TGel
Appearex
Oral ketaconazole
Biotin
Fish Oil
B Complex
Saw Palmetto
Apple Cider Vinegar

I have given each of the above at least 2 weeks to work, the best treatments have been the Apple Cider Vinegar and the oral ketaconazole.

The problem is that you can only use the oral ket. for at most for 2 weeks or risk serious liver damage. The drawbacsks from pouring ACV on your head on a daily basis should be apparent.

If anyone, ANYONE, has any clue as to how to help me, please share.

I feel like crying a lot b/c every day i see more of my hair disappear and never to return again b/c of this helpless condition that I am afflicted.

Old 12-25-2007, 06:37 AM   #11
(male)

mattspears HB User

Have you guys tried folica for treating dandruff- scaly type. I used it after my doctor prescribed it to me. I applied it overnight and it has helped me. But once I leave it , dandruff comes back

Closed Thread