It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2007, 08:05 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

anxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB User
Does scalp biopsy real tell you anything?

I'm at my witts end. I'm losing hair like crazy. All lab work has come back normal except low iron. I've been taking iron supplements for 4 weeks. No difference, yet. My derm. finally did a scalp biopsy, but I feel like it isn't going to really diagnosis the problem. I feel like they did it just because it is the last ditch answer to apease me.
Has anyone gotten a firm answer from a biopsy? And after that confirmation were you able to do something that stopped this massive hair loss?

Old 12-17-2007, 05:29 AM   #2
(female)

PSusanp123 HB User
Smile Re: Does scalp biopsy real tell you anything?

Hello, I know exactly how you feel. I noticed that my hair was thinning all over, but especially in the front, bang area. I had a scalp biopsy and the dx was "seems to suggest a non-scarring pattern alopecia, however, due to the increased number of telogen hairs the possibility of chronic telogen effluvium exists and further clinical evaluation is needed." So, I still don't have a definite dx. I am hypothyroid, though, and hairloss is a very common side effect. I changed medications to Armour, which slowed the shedding, but I am sure I need a higher dose, which according to what I have read, should stop the loss.

You should definitely get tested for thyroid disease. You need a TSH test and also a Free 3 and Free 4 tests too. Also, your low iron could very well be the problem. It will take several months to see improvement, so stay hopeful.
In the meantime, try a volume increasing shampoo.I use Pantene Volume, and Nuetrogena Clean Volume. My hair is lots fluffier after shampooing with these.
Hope this helped!

Last edited by ms_mod; 12-17-2007 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2007, 09:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User
Re: Does scalp biopsy real tell you anything?

Anxiousme -

Are you by chance taking any medications? If so, that might be the problem. There are many out there that can cause hair loss.

Closed Thread