It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2008, 10:44 PM   #1
(female)

erin8826 HB User
Exclamation 19 year old female with receding hairline/hairloss.. please help

Over the past 6 months I have noticed a change in my hair.. The hair on my scalp is much thinner and it's as if my hairline is receding. My hair has never been this thin before and I'm so frustrated. I don't know if it is genetic or if it's the fact that I've been way too stressed over the past few months. I had a bad breakup with someone I loved very much, and I just worried too much about everything.
Also, I quit taking my birth control pill back in October so I wonder if the change in hormones had something to do with my hairloss. I havent really been stressed about anything lastely and so i am hoping that my hair will get back to normal..
Why do you think I have lost so much hair? Will i be able to grow it back out if my hairloss was due to stress?

Old 02-04-2008, 07:48 AM   #2
(female)

erin8826 HB User
Re: 19 year old female with receding hairline/hairloss.. please help

anybody?..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2008, 12:45 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

CaringMom HB User

It very well could be stress, but then again it could be something else. Unless you have this looked at by a professional, I can't say for sure either way.
I know stress can do horrible things to the mind and body. My sister went through something similar to you when she was finished with college. She had a very large bald spot on the back of her head. After going to doctors, she finally went to a counselor. It took some time, but her hair did grow back.
I would personally see a doctor to be on the safe side to rule out anything else being the cause.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:49 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User

It can also be from the bc pills. You are at the perfect age to start developing symproms for PCOS. Please visit that board for more info.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:35 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

Yes, birth control pills can cause hair loss while you're on them. They deplete zinc, and a zinc deficiency can cause hair loss. Some pills are also high in androgens (male hormones), which can be bad for the hair and cause it to fall out. Going off the pill can also cause your hair to fall out because of the sudden drop in hormones, much in the same way that a woman loses hair after delivering a baby.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:15 PM   #6
(female)

erin8826 HB User

so IF the hairloss is because of stopping the birth control pill in October, when I should expect new hair growth in the spots that it fell out?

Old 02-04-2008, 07:28 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

Usually the 'dread shed' (as it's sometimes referred to) from stopping the pill, stops after about 3-6 months, I think. It should be slowing down soon and hopefully you'll get some new hairs coming in soon. If it was falling out while you were on it, though, it might take a little more time. There's a lot of info on hair loss from the pill over on the Birth Control board, you should check it out. Which pill were you on, if you don't mind me asking? I've read that Yaz is well known for causing hair loss.

Last edited by kittywitty; 02-04-2008 at 07:36 PM.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:18 PM   #8
(female)

erin8826 HB User

I was on Ortho Tri Cyclen..I think my hairloss might be because I would get on the pill, then stop after a while, and then get back on. I was originally put on it to help clear up my acne but I wanted to get off of the pill just incase that was what was making my hair fall out

Old 02-16-2008, 12:51 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Hair loss can be due to stress but it's best to get a thorough check up as there are other things which cause hair loss in women.

The most common causes are anemia or long term low iron. I would get a full iron blood test and make certain they test your Ferretin levels. A lot of people who have low Ferretin find that one of the symptoms is abnormal hair shedding. It can also cause early onset of Alopecia to occur if you are predisposed to getting it in later life. If it is iron related it can be corrected, you just have to get your ferretin levels higher. Often doctors dont care so long as your test result comes back 'within range'. My test results were within range for approx 5yrs but i was losing hair and now that my ferretin levels are on the way up my hair has noticably decreased shedding for the first time in 7yrs.

When i was in the middle of my hair loss years i came to this board and learnt that it could be due to low iron levels. This is why i make the trip back to this particular section of the board to let as many people know about the connection between iron levels and hair loss.

It could also be thyroid related. Your thyroid can also be 'within range' yet you can suffer symptoms. If it's thyroid related it, your hair can grow back, the loss wont be permanent.

Sometimes it's due to insufficient amounts of a certain vitamin or mineral. When my doctor gave me a full blood test he included some things i had never been tested for and which i thought were unnecessary and then i was to find out i was extremely low in vitamin D and Iodine in particular.

It could be due to BC pills, but i would get a full check up just incase it's not.

Hope you find out soon as it's very emotionally distressing as a female to be losing ones hair. Best of luck and keep us posted

Closed Thread