It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2008, 01:27 PM   #1
(male)

christheknown77 HB User
Telogen Effluvium??? Freaking me out HELP!

ok. I'm losing my mind.

Basically I'm shedding hair from every possible part of my head.
Very very bad. I can literally run my fingers lightly through ANY part of my head and come away with 4 5 6 hairs, with dry flaky bulbs on the ends of them.
I mean, I can pull them out of the back of my neck just as easily.
It is terrifying. The shower is worse. Washing my hair, they're everywhere.
All over my pillow, in books, back of my shoulders.
All the men in my family have crazy thick hair. Two 70 something grandfathers, hair thick as a carpet. No joke.

I experienced telogen effluvim about 8 years ago when i was younger and went on a drug called accutane. YEeesh. Bad experience. I know thats a common side effect. But this time, I'm not on anything.

About 4 to 6 months ago I was going through some pretty intense job changes, travel, ups and downs etc. Also, For the past 4 5 months I've had some serious physical changes. I have been working out with a trainer intensely for the past 4 to 5 months, and started taking LOTS of protien supplements. Like, a lot. Shakes, bars, etc. Massive amounts.
My body has changed, I put on a lot of muscle weight etc, but its been a big change. Pretty drastic.

Now I know "stress" can be a reason to trigger it, but I don't know, that seems, for lack of a better description, a lame excuse to me. I mean, plently of people have much worse stresses to deal with other than job and travel, and I would imagine not all of them are shedding hair like this.

So naturally I would assume its the dietary physical changes.
But the more research I did, I found that protien and iron DEFFECIENCIES are what cause hair loss. But I'm literally doing the opposite! If anything I've been mass dosing both! So I'm pretty confused.

I want to know if there is anything I can do to help along the regrowth.
Do i need to stop working out? (and no i swear Im not on any chemicals or drugs or anything else)
Do I need to stop taking so much protien?

I want to go on propecia just in case I'm so freaked out.

My hair is changing for the worse by the week.

do the hairs falling out mean there are new ones growing underneath pushing them out??

I really need some advice. Im about to lose it.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2008, 09:53 PM   #2
(male)

acne_free HB User
Re: Telogen Effluvium??? Freaking me out HELP!

how old are you? im 21 and last year around october i was shedding so much hair its not even funny. I was freaking out but i noticed my brothers hair did the same. I cut my hair in late october. Now my hair is pretty long ,like 6 inches long and im not shedding as much hair as i did back in october. hair usually falls out when <YOU> wash it or brush it. I think it couldve been the weather that was affecting or my hair just grows out too fast . i dunno man we need more info.

Last edited by ms_mod; 03-17-2008 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Replaced text message, chat room word with the proper word. Please follow the posting rules. Ms_Mod

Closed Thread