It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2008, 04:22 PM   #1
(female)

confused78 HB User
Unhappy Hair Loss----PCOS??? Help please!

Hello,
I have noticed that my hair has been thinning for about a month. I normally have very, very thick hair, but I can now see my scalp through my hair especially at the front.
I am almost 30 yrs old. I don't have any other symptoms of PCOS, except a couple of months ago I had some irregular bleeding between periods. My dr did an ultrasound and saw the "strand of pearls" around my ovaries, which made him utter PCOS. He didn't really seem too worried about it since I'm not trying to have a baby yet. It was almost like he ignored it. Since then I;ve had a physical and all of blood/thyroid levels are completely normal.
Is this PCOS? I just got on the pill, but have read that it can cause more hair loss! What do I do???? thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2008, 11:54 AM   #2
(female)

confused78 HB User
Re: Hair Loss----PCOS??? Help please!

Anyone? Advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2008, 01:04 PM   #3
(female)

Solange3000 HB User

Hello, I have PCOS but never really had big problems with my hair, my hair falls a little when I brush it but nothing to be alarmed about. On the other hand, I had excessive hair on my chin and side burns, I say "had" because I took care of it with electrolysis. I took the pill for many years and I didn't have any problems with my hair. Keep in mind that not all women with PCOS have all the signs of PCOS, every woman is different. I'm not a doctor but I still can't beleive your doctor is not too concerned with PCOS. Not to scare you but infertility is only one risk you face with PCOS, you also run the risk of getting high blood pressure and diabetes which cause heart attacks and strokes. So PCOS should be taken very seriously. Maybe you should go to a different doctor so they can run more test. I changed doctors 3 times until I finally found someone who properly diagnosed me and was concerned about me. Sorry I wasn't much help about the hair issue, I just never really had any problems with my hair.
Good luck to you.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:08 PM   #4
(female)

confused78 HB User

Thanks for the response! Is it also possible to have PCOS and have regular, monthly periods? I have always had a period every month for the past 18 years...
Also, what do you do to treat PCOS if you're not trying to get pregnant? Nothing? I know that the pill only masks the symptoms

Old 07-09-2008, 11:26 AM   #5
(female)

Solange3000 HB User

Yes it is very possible to have periods even with PCOS. The only reason why I have my period every month is because I lost weight and I'm taking Metformin everyday and I have my blood sugar and cholesterol controlled. Two years ago before I started dieting and exercising and taking metformin, I did not have my periods on my own, I had to take the pill to have them. There isn't really a cure for PCOS, the only thing you can do is keep it controlled and managed and live a healthy life.
If you have PCOS and don't use protection you can still get pregnant even without trying. There have been women who thought they could not get pregnant because of PCOS but did. My option to prevent pregnancy was the pill. But if you don't like the pill, maybe the depo shot, or a intrauterine device, female condoms, regular condoms. There are many options but I would suggests talking with you doctor about what choices you might have.

Closed Thread