It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2008, 02:09 PM   #1
(male)

Ice2Cool HB User
Please someone help me! (Energy, Memory, Hair Loss, Lethargy, Indifference)

Hey all,

First off, I apologize for the long post but I need to discuss everything so I get get some good feedback.
I am now posting here in desperation. I am suffering severely from a lack of energy, short term memory loss, lethargy, no charisma, hair loss, acne and P.E.

I have posted on here before with no success.

Some background info of me:
Im a 22 year old male vegetarian (no meat fish or eggs).
70kg/154lb
1.83cm/6ft

My symptoms started at about 17 years of age (5 years ago) and they were mostly physical in that I was only affected by a lack of energy. I firmly believed it was burn out from studying for exams because I was under alot of pressure doing alot more than I had to. After high school, I thought the problem would resolve itself, but the lack of energy continued and at 18 I had a severe loss of libido. Infact, for about an entire year I could not even bring myself to ejaculate because I had such a low libido. I should also mention that even though I was severely lacking in energy, I remained positive and jovial and used to talk alot and socialize and go out and was a generally happy person.

Since then, I have gone through and graduated from college with this problem having affected by mental state. I am now no longer positive and I am an unhappy person. I lack energy, I have trouble with memory ( I struggled to remember short term things and words), I don't talk to people because I find it exhaustive, I have premature ejaculation, my hair is thinning out (in the front only, my hairline has receded substantially).Additionally, when I was 16-17 I remember being really well defined - my muscle was tight and I didnt even use to work out then! Now I feel like I have lost my definition like my muscle seems bloated and saggy regardless of how much I work out. My body fat is about 11% which I think is pretty low.

2 years ago, my best friend passed away from an anneurism and this really affected me badly. I went to see a psychologist because I was knocked down really badly and in conjuction with my problems prior to his death, I just couldnt cope. The psychologist advised me that I had social anxiety which led to my depression and prescribed me anti-depressants. I declinded the anti depressants because I believe my problems stemmed from a physical problem. I have always been a quiet person, but not quiet in that I am shy or scared. I just always preffered to work alone and only liked to socialize with those who i was close with - im not the sort to go make small talk with strangers.

I consider myself to be extremely healthy in that I am vegetarian, eat a very healthy diet, I excercise alot and I hardly drink. About a month ago I began taking a multi vitamin with the hopes I would grow my hair back or at least stop the hair loss.

About 6 months ago I visited a doctor for blood test to see why my energy levels and memory was so bad. He reported that my blood test came out normal and that my problem was psychological and I should see a psychologist - i didnt tell him I had already been to one.

So now I come here with the hopes that someone could please help me! In a nutshell, I feel REALLY burned out! I wish I could just run away to an island for a year where there is no technology, no stress, no worries - just peace. I want to clear my mind and start on a clean plate!

My life is really taking a knock right now. Im about to start working for the first time and I want to start my career with alot of energy and I just dont feel like I can do my best given the way I feel. I should also mention, in college I used to spoke alot of marijuana mostly because it made me feel so much mentally better (although it did me no good physically). I have since stopped.

PLEASE HELP ME. I want to be the person I was when I was 16 with alot of energy and charisma and mental clarity! I do not believe my physical problems are a cause of depression, in fact i think it is the other way around. I feel my "depression" is a result of my lack of energy. Guys. Please help. Post even if you dont think it will help.

BTW, the multivitamin i am taking is called Vitathion, it is a multi vitamin and contains ATP which supposedly gives you more energy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2008, 03:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: Please someone help me! (Energy, Memory, Hair Loss, Lethargy, Indifference)

Hello Ice,

I suspect that despite your "healthy" diet, you are experiencing dietary deficiencies that are impacting your physical and mental health. I am not suggesting that you eat meat, fish, or eggs, but I would suggest you see a dietician to make sure you are eating the necessary foods.

It may also be helpful to check out the anemia boards here. Often vegetarians like yourself face special challenges getting the proper B vitamins as some are available only through animal sources.

Nutritional deficiencies can cause short term and long term problems so it would be wise to evaluate and treat your condtion as soon as possible.

Good luck and good health!

Bethsheba

Old 08-22-2008, 04:30 PM   #3
(female)

Myth HB User

symptoms of dietary deficiencies can take years to develop and your symptoms seem consistant with deficiency of protein, b12 and amino acids

most vegetarian sources of protein are incomplete and lack essential amino acids as a result
there are 22 amino acids ,8 are essential & need to be derived from the diet some are only obtainable from animal proteins such as the essential tyrosine necessary for healthy thyroid function,the other 14 can be manufactured by the body
and the only reliable source of b12 is from animal derived products ...
I suggest you do more research or seek some professional help

Old 08-23-2008, 06:05 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User

Nutrition is very important, I was going to suggest one more thing to look into in that area. A good adrenal caplet.

You should look in the thyroid thread for some answers, it does sound like you have issues with that as well.

There is always lymes too, it can present with all your symptoms too.

Good luck on finding some answers, you took a lot of time and effort into your post, it was very thorough, it's hard to write all that about yourself. Good job. Diana

Old 08-23-2008, 09:23 AM   #5
(male)

Ice2Cool HB User

Hey everyone,

Thank you from the bottom of my heart from posting. I considered anemia and b12 deficiency before - which is why i went for the blood test where the doc advised me that i was in the normal range. After reading through the anemia board as advised by youll, I realise "normal" doesnt mean anything and I should be looking for "optimal". I think I will go for another blood test now and actually get the numbers back so I can get more feedback from youll.

I sincerely believe I need to go to a doctor which deals alot with vegetarians so he understands where I am coming from. Fortunately for me, I live in South Africa where there are many vegetarians. The doctor I had been to for my first blood test was in the U.S at my campus clinic and I dont think he was very bothered to look into my case. I think this time around I will get much more luck with my family doctor who cares alot about us.

With regards to adrenal as mentioned by drs - I considered this as I came across a posting regarding it a few months ago. The symptons described by adrenal fatigue match mine closely - my problem is that I cannot find an Adrenal Fatigue supplement in south africa and am hesitant to make up my own cocktail of supplements to replicate an adrenal fatigue formula. I will bring this up with my doc who may be able to recommend me something.

I should mention - the multivitamin I take contained alot of B12, but honestly I dont feel any different. Ive been taking it for about a month now and the only affect i notice is luminous urine Haha.

Anyways,
Thanks again for your guys posts! Wish me luck.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:38 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice2Cool View Post
...I sincerely believe I need to go to a doctor which deals alot with vegetarians so he understands where I am coming from....
I think this is an excellent idea!!!
Quote:
....I should mention - the multivitamin I take contained alot of B12, but honestly I dont feel any different. Ive been taking it for about a month now...
Given the fact that your symptoms have existed for about 5 years, I doubt that a month of supplementation will show any noticable difference (especially not knowing exactly if there are deficiencies and what they are). I have read that in some cases it can take more than a year to replenish the body of a magnesium deficiency, for example. I suspect that even if you aggressively seek an accurate diagnosis and aggressively treat your condition it will take time to recover your health...hopefully, no permanent damage has been done.

Take care and do let us know how you fare. And good luck!!!!

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 08-23-2008 at 09:39 AM.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:57 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHARON1952 HB UserSHARON1952 HB User

did you get a diabetic and thyroid check i am female but you have a lot of the symptoms i have i have been diabetic for years it does not make any difference to my life i only use diet to control it that i got the underacive thyroid am only just starting to feel a bit more energy i am on medication i think it could be something to do with your blood sugar levels witch are easely sorted out by your doctor i would ask for theese tests as they are easly sorted but untreated can make you feel so bad hope you find out soon good luck let us know how you get on

Old 08-25-2008, 03:46 AM   #8
(female)

akazie HB User

You sound a lot like me, loss of energy, memory problems, loss of libido, loss of muscle mass etc I have been diagnosed with stress and anxiety, I take antidepressants. I also thought that it was a physical problem not a mental one but if you look at the symptoms of stress you will see that it fits. Maybe you should try the antidepressants that your doctor recommended.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:16 AM   #9
(male)

Ice2Cool HB User

Well, im gonna go for a B12 injection today to see if it helps things. Then if it fails ill go for the antidepressants. To tell u the truth, I was thinkin its probably adrenal fatigue. When I used to write exams i remember being on an adrenal high all the time which is why i did so well. I could smash the exams in no time. Now when I write them I feel slow and lethargic as if my adrenals aint doing their job.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:31 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

It wouldn't hurt to see if your doctor can get a hold of something to boost your adrenal function.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:13 AM   #11
(male)

Ice2Cool HB User

Hey all,

Though id just update youll - I went and got a B12 injection today - 2ml worth which I believe is around 2000 mcg. Im going to go again in 2 days. Not sure if ill need a 3rd one but ill see. Im not feeling much different to tell ull the truth - im not sure how long it will take to feel a difference.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:41 AM   #12
(male)

Ice2Cool HB User

Actually to tell youll the truth I feel horrible 2 hours after that shot like it took all the energy out of me. I dont want to move at all. How long does it usually take to feel the effects?

Old 08-25-2008, 10:34 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Call and tell them how you feel, ask if this is normal after the shot, if it is, try to be patient and let your body heal, don't be staying up if your body says rest.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:32 PM   #14
(male)

Ice2Cool HB User

I have not felt so bad in the last 6 months as I do today. Stress from work, from applying for jobs, from feeling so ******* useless is just getting to me today. Sometimes I wish I were dying so I had something to look foward to.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:23 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ice, I'd go to the thyroid board here and see what the symptoms are on the sticky post. I'm sure you'd have a ton of them. I know how awful it feels to have your thyroid wacked out. You need to do something about it soon. So many people are having problems right now with their thyroids, it's becoming a real problem. We live in a radiation rich world, much more so than years ago. Our environment is full of electricity, low oxygen and pollution. It take it's toll on this gland. You do have the signs of being off. Tell your doctor you want a full work up, not just a tsh test. Go to that board and find out what you should be looking for in the testing and what kind of doctor you may need to be seeking. It can make a big difference, you can feel like your old self once again. Diana

Closed Thread