It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2009, 11:27 AM   #16
(female)

welshgirlie2 HB User
Re: Low ferritin and hair loss

Yes sounds like a good idea about the trading of some of our weather. It was -5 here last night.

And yes your right about the drugs seeming like a good idea at the time but the truth is, we don't really know what we are doing to our bodies.

Thanks for all your advice about the wheat. I am still waiting on my results from my blood test but I will let you know what they come back as.

Happy new year, hope the year ahead is a good one for you!

Old 01-11-2009, 01:47 PM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I can't even imagine -5. We had temps in the very high 30's and then even a couple of days where it hit 42 degrees. It simply gets too much and at night it didn't cool down and there was no air when sleeping, even if you did leave the windows open.

Good luck with your test results. I'm visiting my doctor the following week for test results. I'm hoping 2009 will be the year of health

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2011, 03:11 AM   #18
(female)

Jasmine89 HB User

Hello everyone

I just wanted to share my story in case it is of any benefit to anyone. I've been an observer on this site for some months and wanted to write to you all when I thought I had a bit of value to add.

I realised I had hair loss about 11 months ago. I went to MANY GPs trying to figure out what the cause was. My ferretin was at 22 about 11 months ago and most docs except one said my ferretin had nothing to do with it and my ferretin was normal. One doctor said he has patients that run triatholons with a ferretin of 30 and its normal. And he thought my hair was normal as well - basically said that I was just anxious about nothing, and that my hair is in a different stage of my life so ofcourse its different to when I was a teenager- I'm older now and he basically said hair density reduces with age in normal people.

One doctor told me low ferretin COULD be a cause of hair loss and that she would like to see my ferretin close to 100 to eliminate that as a cause of the hair loss. Because of the mixed messages I received from GPs i stopped supplementing with iron for a while because thats what one doctor told me to do.

I went to a trichologist and he told me my ferretin has to be above 70 for 3 months to notice decreased shedding. I went to a dermatologist and he reckons I am in the very very early stages of androgenetic alopecia and that my low ferretin is contributing to the hair loss because low iron means that your hair grows slower. I read up on androgenetic alopecia and it usually starts in your late 20s or 30s and you notice it heaps after menopause. This is probably the story that I believe.

A few years back, for about 2 years I didn't eat healthy and I didn't eat meat. So that's probably why my ferretin dropped so low and what triggered the androgenetic alopecia early which runs in my family. My mum has a wide part and so does my grandma and they got it after menopause I think and the interesting thing is neither of them care! They just power on with life and it doesn't affect them at all. I guess they are much older so its not the same as having hair loss when you are much younger.

Anyway I supplemented for the past 3 months everyday with ferrograd C, took one tablet everyday. And I get my test results back and my ferretin is 123!!! I couldn't believe it. 3 months ago my ferretin was only 30. And my doctor said he didn't think I would get to 70 like the trichologist wanted me to. Well I'm at 123 now so shows how much some doctors these days know.

I had to stop taking my iron supplements about 3 weeks before the blood test because they were making me really constipated and i felt like vomiting after breakfast in the mornings. Now I feel fine after I stopped the tablets and I'm glad I listened to what my body was telling me..

I've always lost a lot of hair so I never thought anything of all the hair I was losing until I realised actual thinning on my head but its only on the right hand side of the head. But Ive actually noticed that I'm losing less hair now (I think) its hard to count the hairs! But when I brushed my hair this morning i only lost 30, I lost a few hairs during the day and I haven't washed my hair since 2 days ago. But in the shower 2 days ago I only lost about 30 as well but I would have lost more during the day. So I think I'm shedding less hair now. Before i was shedding over a hundred a day.

I feel way more healthy because I have been making a REAL effort to eat properly. I just need to get myself to exercise! Thats the next plan of attack.

I'm thinking that i'll probably take an iron tablet that isn't as strong as ferrograd just during my period so that I can maintain my current level of 123 for 3 months, to see if that helps.

I will keep you guys updated on my situation, then maybe i can answer the question that started this thread!

Good luck everyone xxox

Old 04-02-2012, 05:53 AM   #19
(female)

anukrips HB User

hi Jasmine,
I saw your post just today. I am going through the same thing my ferritin was about 5 month ago...i know way too less. I have started treatment with 150 mg ferrous sulfate (45mg elemental iron) once a day long with vitamin D, calcium and B12 as my doctor feels it may be on lower end.

I red your story and it gives me hope...I wanted to check with you how you are doing now since its been a while since your post. Please let me know how long it took for you to get your normal hair back. you would love hear bout your progress and how it happened.

Thanks
Anu

Old 04-07-2012, 01:12 AM   #20
(female)

Jasmine89 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anukrips View Post
hi Jasmine,
I saw your post just today. I am going through the same thing my ferritin was about 5 month ago...i know way too less. I have started treatment with 150 mg ferrous sulfate (45mg elemental iron) once a day long with vitamin D, calcium and B12 as my doctor feels it may be on lower end.

I red your story and it gives me hope...I wanted to check with you how you are doing now since its been a while since your post. Please let me know how long it took for you to get your normal hair back. you would love hear bout your progress and how it happened.

Thanks
Anu
Hi Anu,

I'm still trying to figure out the best way of treating my hair loss and it is all very confusing. I haven't experienced any regrowth, it's probably a little bit worse actually. Because androgenetic alopecia is a progressive condition if it is not treated.

I got to a point that I didn't want to keep taking iron tablets. They made me severly constipated and in the mornings I would run to the bathroom feeling like I was going to throw up. I was worried about whether they were doing damage inside of me to my organs. It took me a couple of months until I stopped taking them to get rid of the naseua. So my iron has been dropping heaps, and now it is pretty low again around 30 To tell you the truth, I'm not convinced that my iron levels were ever low enough to cause hair loss. The trichologist I saw tried to convince me they were and then he tried to sell me vitmains and iron so that he could make some quick coin. I didn't buy the stuff he was selling, I felt like he was just a salesperson preying on vulnerable people who just want their hair back but I am trying to take the iron supplements I get from the chemist when I have my period though so that I don't continually deplete my iron stores. I'm not sure what to do though, because I got to a point where I thought the shedding was a little better when my iron was higher but maybe it was all in my head. Afterall, high iron is supposed to assist in growing hair but not decreasing shedding right?

My scalp is oily/itchy and I did hormone tests that show my testosterone is a bit on the low side, but pretty much all my results are normal except for ferretin being a bit on low side and vitamin d being low. It's probably a number of factors contributing to hair loss but the main one is genetics. Maybe it's true what one doctor said to me, that this is what my hair is supposed to be like in this stage of my life. We can't all maintain the same amount of hair we had when we were in our teens to our twenties, some people do but that's in their genes. Lucky people! But if you actually look around at other girls hair, wide parts are quite common.

So since I've come to the realisation that my genetics are causing my hair loss, you should read 'The hormonally vulnerable woman' by Dr Redmond, I have to make the decision about how/if I treat it. Whether I take Diane 35 which my dr has prescribed to me. I want to take Diane 35 because i have super heavy periods and it would help with that and keep my iron stores high and it also blocks the androgens, so it may help my oily scalp/itchy and stop the hair thinning. I've read on other posts that it does help with hair thinning but it can be an absolute nightmare when you get off the pill.

Girls write that they lose 50% of their hair 3 months after they stop the pill, that it makes them moody, depressed, and have no sex drive. Some say it even makes them shed more on the pill. It's difficult because I don't know how its going to react with my body and I don't know if I am gutsy enough to play with nature and put synthetic hormones into my body. But what other option to I have? Just wait for my hair loss to get worse

Good luck with your hair loss situation. It's so hard to find a doctor that knows anything about hair loss. Hopefully you can find a good one that can guide you the right way.

Jasmine

Closed Thread