It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2008, 08:58 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

tiredpoet HB User
hair loss from going on or off birth control pill

For anyone who has experienced hair loss caused by going on or off the pill or switching from one pill to another, could you PLEASE share your experience?

How much hair did you lose? Could you see down to the scalp anywhere?

How long did your hair loss last (months, a year, etc)?

Did the texture or feel of your hair change (get dry, brittle, etc)?

Did it all grow back, or at least most of it?

If so, how long did it take to grow back?

Thank you so much for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-01-2008, 03:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User
Re: hair loss from going on or off birth control pill

I lost quite a bit of hair on the pill (Estrostep FE). You could see my scalp, the loss was mostly on top. It lasted for as long as I was on it, 2 years. I always had very thick hair prior to going on this pill and the loss of hair was gradual so I didn't notice right away. I don't recall the texture being any different. It did eventually grow back after I went off of it, but it took a while, maybe a year.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2008, 11:16 PM   #3
(female)

brida HB User

i was on the pill for two years and just went off it last month because I thought i could be pregnant and I started to lose a ton of hair, you couldn't see that i was missing hair from my scalp, but it definately was obvious. it was all over my bed, the floor, my brush, in the drain of the shower, etc. It was gross.

I didn't even realize it could have been that I went off the pill. that's actually why I came to healthboards.

To answer your questions;
-No, I can't see to the scalp.
-So far it's only been a month and a half, but after i went back on the pil (around a week ago) I've been slowly loosing lesss and less hair.
-texture didn't change much, however it is feeling more dry.

Thanks for your help, and I hope I helped you a bit too :P

Old 11-16-2008, 10:47 PM   #4
(female)

kimberlysweet HB User

Well, I'm age 41, and I went off the pill at age 35, I had been on them since I was 14, and I think that my hormones have changed since I went off, and It has not been the same, I have noticed that hair comes out everyday, but not like to where you can see the scalp, but I am hoping it does come back, it does take time, and stress doesn't help either, I have been doing research, and have been reading about hair loss, and I know that grapeseed extract pills, are good for regrowth of hair, and biotin, so I am taking both, and of course it always helps to take a multivitamin, these take time, so give it some time for these pills to work, Im hanging in there, also, circulation of the scalp is a really big thing, massaging the scalp everyday with fingers, and this may sound stupid, but hanging your head over your bed upside down for about five minutes or so is suppose to help circulate the blood for the roots. I also use biotin shampoo and conditioner, the jasons brand, you can get it at gnc. There is also another new product by mane and tail called olive oil herbal gro, olive oil is good for hair too. You get this at Sallys. Hope this helps you.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:38 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

You read about the pill affecting hair loss more and more these days. I've heard also that 60% of females are on the wrong type of pill for them. Most doctor simply give a prescritpion for any old brand and don't look into whether it fits you personally.

The pill also absorbs a lot of your vitamin B's, so anybody on the pill should be taking a multi B supplement.

The pill or wrong type of pill for you can mess up your estrogen, progesterone and testosterone, leading to an excess of one particular hormones. This can lead to hair loss and no amount of taking vitamins or massaging the scalp will fix hormones.

A lot of people don't do a full thyroid checkup which should include TSH, T3, T4 and Thyroid Antibodies. It's not enough getting the results for these tests, but you need a doctor who is capable of reading them. My results were "within range" 8 years ago and the doctor refused to medicate me due to me not being way out of range. I suffered with hair loss for 8 years. I blamed it on so many different things and after 8 years found a doctor who knew his stuff and it was thyroid related after all. Thyroid issues will also cause dull, brittle, lifeless hair.

The thyroid also regulates hormones and your adrenal glands also produce estrogen and the pill alters the way your hormones work so you don't fall pregnant and get your period on time or helps you skip a period, so all in all there are a lot of areas which affect the hormones and you should look at everything and eliminate things one by one. If i were you i would go off the pill for a short period of time so that you can have a full hormone checkup to see if any of your hormones are too high or too low.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:23 PM   #6
(female)

littleopihi HB User

hey! i am in my early 30's and was on the pill for 10 years. my hair started falling out 2 years ago out of nowhere... i have had 4 scalp biopsies to make sure it wasn't lupus or there isn't miniturization which goes along with female pattern loss. Also there is absolutely no bladness in my family including all my grandparents. granted i never had super thick hair but it was still good... so when it started to fall out i paniced! in the past 2 years they did these biopsies spaced regularly with five million blood tests... all they came up with is a huge amount of my still healthy follicles are in the telogen phase (or sleeping)... but usually it's not supposed to last this long so they are thinking chronic telogen effluvium. SO... usually it's caused by some imbalance, hormonal or dietary and stress doesn't help. i was low in ferritin and vitamin D so i have to take those supplements... other than that absolutely nothing and since i work in a hospital with many doctors as my friends now, they have done every test there is =( they took me off the pill in june because many women have hairloss on the pill... unfortuntately (and i knew it would) my hairloss increased exponentially! i knew it would be the horrible "dread shed" they all talk about... it's been 5 months since and it's still literally handfulls... i've wasted MONTHS AND MONTHS of being depressed and not wanting to go out of my house =( it sucked!!!! it is very thin now but you can't see bald spots, thank God! honestly you'll get to a point where you're over hair. and i KNOW it'll come back. unfortunately with chronic telogen effluvium it's self-limiting and comes back whenever it feels like it with or without treatment. but still, it's smart to see a doctor and take vitamins... and not be too brutal on the pulling or chemical treatments of your hair. with CTE it can take up to 6 years to come back... i don't think it'll be that long but i will definitely keep you posted on when the shedding starts to slow down. you too keep us posted... sending positive thoughts your way. take care!

Last edited by ms_mod; 11-25-2008 at 12:55 PM. Reason: correction

Closed Thread