It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

salty HB Usersalty HB User
Anyone Have a Fibroid & It Has Caused Hair Loss

Hi. I am desperately trying to figure out why my hair has been thinning for months.

I am hoping it may have something to do with a fibroid that I have (which will be removed next week), but I have had it for a long time and the hair loss started only months ago.

Has anyone experienced this?

Thank you,
Salty

Old 02-20-2009, 03:51 AM   #2
(female)

angabeth HB User
Re: Anyone Have a Fibroid & It Has Caused Hair Loss

Hello, one of the most common reasons for hair loss is iron deficiency anaemia. Make sure that your doctor checks your iron stores ( ferretin) as well as Hb. If your fibroid has caused heavy periods I am sure this is the cause. You may need iron tablets to get your stores back to normal. If not, ask to check on your thyroid function. Your hair will regrow if you correct anaemia or thyroid deficiency.
All the best with your surgery,
Regards, Angela

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Angela, I am waiting for my blood test results that they take before surgery (I'm sure my ferretin will be included in that even though they are just basic tests, right?)

What is Hb? Will that be on general bloodwork?

The problem is I have been trying to get someone to read the results over the phone and my prim. care said he was busy with patients and would mail me the results. They probably won't arrive until after my surgery.

I am going to try my gyn. on Monday to see if someone there will read them to me.

I am so tired of this hair loss...it's really getting me down. Today it's really coming out. It's scary.

I have brand new iron tablets here that my father just got following an operation.

I know you aren't a dr., but I hope it won't hurt to take one. They are 125 mg., called vitron-c.

I'm going to take one/day until the operation (or until someone tells me I'm not low) and see what happens after that. I've just got to do something.

I will have my gyn. test my thyroid during my 2-week follow up appointment. It was fine in Oct., but I don't know now.

Thank you so much for writing back and for wishing me the best for surgery. I appreciate that.

Salty

Old 02-22-2009, 01:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

If you have a fribroid, then most likely your estrogen is also high, which is an environment that fibroids just love.

If you have high estrogen it can also be likely that your other hormones are out and you could possibly have high testosterone/low progesterone.

If the hair loss is solely due to low iron levels, it can take a while to build up your reserves, depending on how depleted they are and it also depends what your low iron is a symptom of.

I had low iron and later found out about my fibroid. My periods became much lighter after i took a herbal mix from a naturopath and it still didn't fix my low iron and i was on a high dose iron supplement. In the end i found out that i did have a thyroid problem all along, when back in 2000 i was told that i didn't.

Often when all your hormones are messed up, be they thyroid, adrenal or other hormones, hair will shed and until the hormone issue isn't corrected you will keep shedding.

The problem right now is finding out what precisely is causing the hair loss. Like the other poster said, checking for anemia/low iron is a good start. Most doctors wont include ferretin. A lot of times you need to ask for it. The same with the thyroid, they must check TSH, T4, T3 and Thyroid Antibodies. Most doctors only check TSH and this is how people go undiagnosed for years and years.

It's usually best to check your levels prior to self supplementing, but the dosage of the iron pills you mentioned is fine.

With the fibroid, if you do have estrogen excess, removing the fibroid wont fix the estrogen excess. it will help your periods, until the fibroid/s decide to grow back as they do love a high estrogen environment. Might be a good idea to find out where you are at with your hormones to prevent/minise future fibroid growth. I've left my firbroid for now and am working on my estrogen problem.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B, I can't thank you enough for writing.

So i have this straight, when I go back to my gyn. after the operation, i should have my ferretin checked, my TSH, T4, T3 and thyroid antibodies and my testosterone and progesterone...right?

I need to write it down for him.

I know i had my TSH, T4, and T3 tested in October and they were fine, but I don't know about the rest and I don't know how they are right now.

The hair loss started around the time i started taking 50,000 iu vit.d. I was 35 on a scale from 1-100. I have read that people go on vit. d for hair loss so I don't know.

What are your doing to fix your estrogen level?

Thank you so much Audrey-B,
Salty

Old 02-24-2009, 01:09 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Yes, get your doctor to check all those things. The other problem i have encountered is that a lot of doctors tell you that you are fine if your lab results come back "within range", but you could still be suffering symptoms. That's like me with my Hashimoto's thyroid issues. I had the symptoms 8 years ago but due to falling "within range" i didn't get any help until last year.

Have you had your Vit D retested? If you are on supplements, your doctor should be retesting you to see whether you are absorbing well or hardly at all.

For my excess estrogen my doctor is trialling me on the supplement called Indolplex (DIM for short). I have to get retested soon. He thought just being on thyroid and adrenal medication might help sort my hormones out but it's not doing much for my estrogen at this stage.

It's a difficult process and you have to do so much of the detective work yourself, until you find a good doctor who knows what is what, what to test, how to interpret the lab results, how to relate your symptoms to your results. It's very hard to find someone that dedicated, but you have to keep looking and in the meantime do as much research on your own.

Hope all goes well

Old 02-26-2009, 10:18 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Salty - just thought i'd mention something i came across when i was doing more research into my excess estrogen. There was a symptoms listing on mild, moderate and severe symptoms if the estrogen is in excess for too long. The symptoms were so very similar to thyroid symptoms that i was amazed and it also listed "hair loss". This is why i don't think i will halt my hair shedding until my hormones are where they are supposed to be, not imblanced as they are now.

I saw my naturopath today and she said if we can get the estrogen lowered that the fibroid should not grow any bigger or would actually shrink. If the estrogen gets lowered then it would actually help my thyroid and adrenal situation too and in turn help with my monthly cycles as well as help my hair shedding.

With estrogen it depends where the dominance occurs. If it's in the uterus it can lead to uterine firbroids/tumors, heavy/ irregular periods, menstrual cramping, endometriosis, hyperplasia. Overstimulation of estrogen of the breast tissue can cause tenderness, swelling and fibrocystic breasts. If it occurs at the liver you are more likely to see weight gain, constipation, cyclical headaches/migraines, depression, mood swings, fluid retention and low libido to name the major symptoms.

So you see, it's kind of complex. If you visit your doctor and give them a few symptoms they will likely put you on some medication or other (like antidepressant or sleeping pills), or change your birth control pill prescription, yet the problem will still persist if it's a hormone imbalance. Actually BC pills are often a big culprit as they contain estrogen and if your estrogen is high they will only help raise it higher. Some of the new pills around now are estrogen only pills, which doesn't help matters. This is likely the reason so many people are noticing hair shedding these days, especially when coming off/on BC pills. Not to mention how metabolism of BC pills by your liver requires extra Complex B Vitamins, magnesium, Vit C and Zinc.

This is why anybody would think that the classis thyroid-like symptoms would relate to thyroid only, but the more i look into it and discuss it with my doctor the more it appears it can be other hormones, not just the thyroid which can cause the symptoms. There mightn't be a thyroid problem but if hormonal imbalance is left to get out of control, excess estrogen can cause thyroid and adrenal issues to arise as they all affect one another. It become rather like what came first, chicken or the egg.

I hope this gives you some food for thought. In the very least, the replies received so far should give you a range of possibilities for your symptoms, especially hair loss. I'm not sure whether you are on birth control pills or whether you have had your hormones checked out, but thought i'd add the information anyway. If you are going for any form of hormone testing then morning is the time to go, not lunch time or afternoon.

Best of luck

Old 03-01-2009, 08:10 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B., I'm thankful for you...I know you are going to help me get this right.

I was operated on and my surgeon found the fibroid was intertwined with my intestines and my colon and resting on my bladder. He said it was a mess.

He also found a cyst in my fallopian tube that we didn't know was there.

I kept telling him before the operation and afterwards about my hair loss...it's getting much worse, Audrey-B.

He said we will check my hormones and the vit.d level and I said I would also like my ferretin checked and thyroid tests run again.

I said my estrogen may be high because otherwise i wouldn't have had that fibroid...he said my hair loss could be from stress...(i knew that but i don't think that's it).

Then he said if all tests are okay i will have to see a dermatologist. This didn't make me feel any better because I think he should be able to figure it out and stick w/me until he does. My emotions are all over the place...i am crying as i type this...

i would think i would then go to a hair dr. (trichologist) instead of a derm. Do you agree?

I thank you for the added information. This hair loss is really scaring me. My hg was on my bloodwork and it was fine, but you were right, the ferretin wasn't on there. I'm not taking the iron so that i can get an accurate reading.

He said we have to wait to do the hormone tests on the 3rd day of my period (whenever that comes).

I see him in 2 weeks, but have a 6 week recovery.

I'm afraid that things will be within the normal range and then where do i go from there?

I also stopped the vit. d and cut back to 2,000 mg per day. 21 weeks was enough.

Please stay with me through this.

I can't thank you enough.

I will write again soon. The nausea is bad from the pain pills and the pain is much worse than i expected.

I had to get on the boards to see your reply.

I hope both of us can get straightened out and the hair loss will stop.

Hugs,
Salty

Old 03-02-2009, 01:45 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Salty - sorry to hear you are so upset, but times like this will pop up from time to time. It's good to have a bit of a cry as it releases your anxieties, just dont dwell or let depression set in as that isn't healthy and wont help matters and your doctor will be saying it's all from depression. Doctors are so great at picking an easy target an running with it. I too kept being told my hair loss was due to stress. I even went to see a Dermatologist and she said it was stress, not to worry, it would stop. A word of caution with Derm's, they are not ALL qualified in dealing with hair loss, only some are, so be careful who you see, if you go to see one.

I know mine is definitely hormone related, either my thyroid or excess estrogen. all other avenues have been exhausted. Hormones are most difficult to settle and you do need a good doctor to work through it with you.

You definitely need to get your ferritin checked as well as your Vit D retested. For some people Vit D climbs slowly. Any chance you can go see another doctor if this one becomes unco-operative? Don't waste years with a doctor who doesn't take you seriously. Only you know when something is not right with your body and you should trust your instincts. As i've said before, it took me 8 years to get to the bottom of all the issues i was suffering with and 8 years is way too long.

If your doctor refuses to work with you, i'd be visiting a Trichologist as at least they will order ferritin testing and any other testing connected to hair loss.

My other question would be, are you on birth control? Birth control depletes your B-complex, Vit C, magnesium and zinc. Being low in these nutrients can cause symptoms of their own. You need to be careful of BCpills as some of them are estrogen only and if you already have excess estrogen this will only compound the problem.

You also need to start chanelling your energies into doing some online research. Being armed with information on these things is what you will need when seeing your doctor. Don't let your doctor push you around either and force you into seeing it his way. If need be, you are better off finding someone better who is further away. I travel one and a half hours to see my doctor. It takes up my entire day and i have to miss a day off work, but it's worth it. At least i know he wants to help and isn't lying to me.

You take care and i hope you have a speedy recovery from your surgery. Hopefully your doctor will be willing to run the relevant tests.

Hugs to you too. things will get better

Old 03-02-2009, 06:21 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B, sorry i can't write more...i'm so nauseous...just wanted you to know i'm not on birth control and haven't been for more than 15 years.

I'll write more soon.

I appreciate you being there for me, i really do.

Hugs,
Salty

Old 03-05-2009, 02:11 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B, do you think it could be medicine-related? I've been on lexapro and klonopin for many years.

I would think I would have had trouble with my hair either after first taking the drugs or somewhere along the line, but after all these years?

I'm afraid my gyn. isn't going to find the cause.

Hugs,
Salty

Old 03-11-2009, 03:32 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Salty - i've never heard of lexapro and klonopin. What are they for? It can be medecine related, you just don't know. Depending on the medecine and it's ingredients, some people can see hair loss soon and sometimes it can occur much later.

I'm still inclined to believe that it's either related to hormonal issues, thyroid, low iron, or lack of certain vitamin/minerals or lack of protein. You really need to find out what you could possibly be low in eg: ferretin, Vit D, iodine. You also need to know the situation with all of your hormones eg: estrogen, progesterone, testosterone and thyroid hormones eg: T4 and T3 and whether you have any Thyroid Antibodies.

The fact is, the moment something isn't right on the inside, it's our hair, skin and/or nails which show the effects.

Unfortunately it's often a long road which involves lots of research and mostly dedication. Hoping you feel better soon

Old 03-18-2009, 10:27 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B. I'm having all those tests done now. I had most of them on the 3rd day of my period. The progesterone will be on the 23rd day.

Something was put over my incision that burnt me. That is why I am in double the pain. My gyn was alarmed and has me returning to him again tomorrow.

I was almost given bactrim by IV until the nurse read the ingredients and noticed ampicillin was in it. I am allergic to all cillins.

I am hoping my gyn will tell me what really was put on me. He said it was a reaction to the tape. I know it was not.

I will keep you posted with all these tests. I had him run all the ones you said plus more.

Hang in there w/me please. I'll write more when I can and answer more of your questions.

Thank you so much!

Hugs,
Salty

Old 03-21-2009, 10:51 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

You must have had a reaction to whatever they put on the incision. I'm glad your doctor is willing to run all the other extra tests. It's good to check everything out and then you can start the process of elimination. The only problem is when some doctors say your tests are fine, yet they aren't. A work friend is in this boat at the moment. She did a hormone saliva test which showed her testosterone and estrogen to be extremely high. Her doctor then sent her to a hormone doctor, but this doctor doesn't believe in saliva tests and sent my friend for a blood test. When the blood tests came back she said they were all "normal". She doesn't know what to do now as the saliva and blood tests totally contradict one another.

Hoping you feel better soon

Last edited by Audrey-B; 03-21-2009 at 10:52 PM.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:34 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you for being there. I'm still in pain and the burning is unreal. I see him again on april 9.

Hugs,
Salty

Closed Thread