It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
(female)

stressedgirl HB User
low ferritin hair loss?

my ferritin is 13

but whenever i start taking iron supplements my hair falls outway more. wHy is this?

i took floravit for 2 months my hair fell out lotsssss more...............then stopped for a month and am now startng iron citrate and again it started falling out more

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy my ferritin is only 13....i need my hair loss to stop

Old 07-13-2009, 05:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
Re: low ferritin hair loss?

You definitely need to raise your ferritin, but i can understand your stress over losing hair each time you try taking iron supplements. I've not heard about that occuring before so i can't shed any light on that.

Low ferritin is normally a symptom of another illness. Have you had a full hormone evaluation as well a thyroid testing done? Thyroid hormones, even if just a little out, can cause all kinds of issues. Having high levels of testosterone and also a cortisol and DHEA-S imbalance can cause hair loss.

You should get a full hormone checkup, full thyroid checkup and if your doctor could possibly check your adrenals to see how much cortisol they are producing and also your DHEA-S. All of these are important to see what's going on with your cycles, thyroid, adrenals. Whatever is causing it will fix itself once the problem is addressed, or ought to anyway.

If you have seen a doctor, it sound like he/she is missing something as you have already posted about the issue with your cycles and you also have the hair shedding issue. That is what occured to me, the cycles and the shedding hair, then doctors kept telling me i was fine. It took 9 years for me to finally find out that it was my thyroid and adrenal function after all.

With my cycles, to help speed things along, i found myself a naturopath who has helped beyong belief. She's got my cycles normal again and i just take a herbal mix daily though, but once my thyroid doctor has everything in order i shouldn't have to take the herbs. The only other option was seeing a traditional doctor who would have offered me birth control or a hysterectomy. Neither was an option and i find the naturopathic herbs to be the best choice while i'm working on my other issues.

So i'd say it sounds hormonal and thyroid related, but then again, the thyroid is to do with hormones too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2009, 08:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Stressedgirl--Welcome to the boards!

I have never heard of this as a response to iron supplements either. Perhaps it is just a coincidence, do you think? Anything CAN happen so I really don't know for sure.

A low ferritin WIll cause your hair to fall out dramatically, this I do know first hand.

Audrey-B has given you some good advice. Definitely check out your thyroid levels.

Take care. FLFG
Moderate Anemia (resolved) Low Ferritin-- Work in progress! Hiatal Hernia--GERD
Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Old 07-16-2009, 11:07 PM   #4
(female)

stressedgirl HB User

can i post alist of all the blood tests i have done so far and u guys can give me more advice???

cortisol random
340..................................... .(85 - 620)

estradiol
113 Pmol

progesterone
7.6 Nmol

testosterone random
3.0..................................... ..(0.6 - 2.0)

LH

FSH

prolactin

tsh 2.58

T3
4.4..................................(3. 5 - 6.5)

T4
15.3...............................(9.0 - 23.0)

DHEAS
16................................(1.6 - 12)

my cycles are irregular ...these tests were done when i had not had a period for a couple of months

any advice?????????????????

Old 07-21-2009, 05:25 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Hi stressedgirl - Just letting you know i replied to your results in your other thread on the Anemia board.

I just wanted to let you know that higher than normal levels of testosterone can lead to loss of scalp hair. Your testosterone levels are higher than the maximum lab range so i'd say there is definitely something there. I don't know how 'ordinary' doctors would go about treating a higher testosterone, but considering it's interlinked with out of balance cortisol levels and/or thyroid issues, you might want to see an Endochronologist who ought to be able to look at the whole picture............ one hopes!!

Closed Thread