It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2009, 04:41 PM   #1
(female)

thyroida HB User
Hair Loss from Meds

Has anyone suffered considerable hair loss after starting Thyroid Meds, and did the hair grow back (how long did it take)?

Old 09-27-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
(female)

Summer2928 HB User
Re: Hair Loss from Meds

Proper medication does not cause hair loss. Untreated autoimmune process itself causes hair loss. If you Google "Autoimmune Alopecia" it will explain to you, how it goes. It is not the meds that causes hair loss, but the disorder in your body.

Last edited by Summer2928; 09-27-2009 at 04:49 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2009, 06:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

I have always had a full head of long hair.....Even in my 50's no hair loss even with my Hashi's and hypothyroidism. I have been lucky.

When they added Cytomel to my Armour in about 3 months I noticed my hair seemed thinner. I have been off the Cytomel now for almost 6 months and my hair is back to normal. I take 4 Grains of Amour now for several years and have had no hair loss with it........

The Cytomel is questionable........ Oleander

Old 09-28-2009, 09:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Low ferritin levels can cause hair loss as well. Check those levels and your vitamin D and B12 levels.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:09 PM   #5
(female)

Oppida HB User

When I was on Levoxyl, I lost hair in clumps- for months. I started on Armour and it immediately stopped and I'm re-growing hair. I saw new growth about 2 months ago and I've been on Armour for about 3 months. Being off the synthetics has really helped me.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:29 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I checked out 'autoimmune alopecia' on the net and it seems to describe this condition as the hair coming out in circular patches, which mine has never done. My mysterious hair shedding has always been uniform.

I'm hypo and have Hashimoto's and went untreated for at least 9 years and my menstrual cycles ended up crazy too. My thyroid doctor believes my hair shedding is related to the thyroid but in any number of ways. Firstly with thyroid issues the bodies metabolic process goes out of whack and it more or less needs to be syncronised all over again eg: this includes proper thyroid targets for T3 and T4, correcting any digestive issues, which are also common with thyroid sufferers, leading to malabsorption of nutrients, hormone issues get out of balance too eg: testosterone excess or imbalance of hormone cortisol and DHEA-S (often thyroid doctors dont look at ALL hormones and especially cortisol levels), low ferritin and vitamin D can also contirubte to hair shedding.

If you didn't have the problem in the first place, and it began when taking a particular medication and then you stop the meds and the hair stops shedding, then i'd say it's most likely your meds.

If, in my case, it's been continous then it can be any number of the things i mentioned. Mine only stops shedding for the two coldest months of winter then sheds more so in spring, but heaviest throughout summer and autumn. It just seems as though the entire telogen phase is speeded up. My hair regrowth occurs without a problem, just cant stay in my head long enough. I have half my hair left, but would be nice to get out of this vicious cycle.

On a side note, i did read somewhere of a connection to our bodies thermostat. I don't feel abnormally cold like a lot of thyroid sufferers complain of. I'm mostly always very warm.

Closed Thread