It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2010, 06:40 PM   #1
(female)

thyroida HB User
Hyperparathyroidism and Hair Loss

Has anyone with a Parathyrod issue suffered hair loss? I've lost about 1/2 of my hair over the last year- could this be related to Parathyroid? TSH, Free, and antibody levels are normal. Vit D is low w/ elevated calcium

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
(female)

parathyroid HB User
Re: Hyperparathyroidism and Hair Loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyroida View Post
Has anyone with a Parathyrod issue suffered hair loss? I've lost about 1/2 of my hair over the last year- could this be related to Parathyroid? TSH, Free, and antibody levels are normal. Vit D is low w/ elevated calcium

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
(female)

parathyroid HB User

I was recently diagnosed with primary hyperparathyroidism due to a benign tumor (adenoma) in one of my parathyroid glands. I have noticed sudden diffuse thinning of my hair over the last 3 months. The hair has also gotten very dry. I am scheduled to have the tumor surgically removed in another month.
Did you have your hyperparathyroidism treated yet? Did your hair grow back?
Thanks.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:36 PM   #4
(female)

parathyroid HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyroida View Post
Hello thyroida,
I am 44 years old and have been experiencing rapid hair thinning over the last 4 months. I was also diagnosed recently with primary hyperparathyroidism from an adenoma in one the glands. My hair seems to be much thinner in diameter and lifeless. The thinning is diffuse. I am not sure if this is at all related to my hyperparathyroidism. My doctor doesn't know either. I was wondering if you have had your hyperparathyroidism treated and if so, did it help your hair condition?

Old 08-15-2011, 08:21 AM   #5
(female)

Dixzeland HB User

I too have hair loss and thinning. After I take a shower and comb my hair out, strands of hair follow. Then throughout the day, hair strands fall out all day long. My surgery is in Sept., so hopefully it will stop doing this and return to normal.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:31 AM   #6
(female)

parathyroid HB User

Hi Dixzeland,
Sorry to hear you are going through the same thing. Did you have hair thinning prior to your diagnosis? Did your doctor tell you if the hair thinning is related to the hyperparathyroidism? I went online to the parathyroid.com and parathyroid.org websites and they both mentioned hair thinning as a symptom. However, I can't find much literature on this subject like there is for thyroid hair loss. Are you doing anything right now to help with the hair loss?

Old 09-17-2011, 08:00 AM   #7
(female)

ThirstyMagnolia HB User

Dixzeland-- I noticed you said in another post that you had parathyroid surgery in Sept'11. Wondering if you noticed any difference with your hair loss yet?

I too have copious hair loss every day. It's been worse this past 2 years. My hairdresser even noticed. My thyroid and other female hormones are normal so I do believe it's due to my Hyperparathyroidism. Thanks.

Last edited by ThirstyMagnolia; 09-17-2011 at 08:02 AM. Reason: to add re: my hair loss.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:04 AM   #8
(female)

Dixzeland HB User

Since I'm only 1 week post op, I haven't noticed any changes yet. My hair stylist told me to take Prenatal vitamins, so I started on them yesterday. I guess it wouldn't hurt, hopefully it will help. Good luck to you

Old 09-17-2011, 10:52 AM   #9
(female)

parathyroid HB User

Hi Dixzeland,
Glad to hear that you have had your surgery. I am having my surgery on the 20th of September ( in 3 days). I'm a little nervous. How long did your surgery take? Are you feeling better now since your surgery or is it too early to tell? I think that it takes about 3-4 months after surgery before you will notice a change in your hair condition (according to Dr Norman's website).

Old 01-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #10
(female)

maltesegirl1980 HB User

hi I am 31 and I am on seizures medication it called keppra and now my hair is falling out I have lost over 50% of my hair, and I cry when i have to wash it and I want to know what can I do ....

Old 01-10-2012, 05:47 PM   #11
(female)

parathyroid HB User

I would definitely talk to the doctor who prescribed you this med and ask about its side effect profile. It may or may not be related to this med. If it could be, then maybe the doctor can find an alternative medication. In the meantime just make sure you are eating a well balanced diet, taking a multivitamin, biotin supplement.
Hope that helps.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:47 PM   #12
(female)

parathyroid HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixzeland View Post
I too have hair loss and thinning. After I take a shower and comb my hair out, strands of hair follow. Then throughout the day, hair strands fall out all day long. My surgery is in Sept., so hopefully it will stop doing this and return to normal.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #13
(female)

parathyroid HB User

Hi Dixzeland,
I was wondering if your hair condition has improved since your parathyroid surgery. Is your hair growing back to normal?

Closed Thread