It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2010, 06:39 AM   #1
(male)

bg77 HB User
will there ever be a real cure for baldness?

32 YO male. Started losing my hair to hereditary MPB at 17. Had only a horseshoe of hair by age 25.

I've been shaving my head Vin Diesel style since then and most of the time I like it.

However, I've tried Rogaine as well as those shampoos/topical sprays that supposedly clean the DHT out of your pores (Nioxin it was called). Nothing worked one iota.

I've heard there's some stem-cell type research going on...

Does anyone think that there is a realistic chance in the next decade or so of either a "cure" - that replaces hair with GROWING hair, (not a sewn-on wig like Hair Club) that will STAY and not fall out again, or a treatment effective enough to more or less grow a full head of hair that may need maintenance treatment to remain full? I don't mean growing 14 hairs back, I mean a real head of hair?

Old 04-30-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
(male)

1965_Bruce HB User
Re: will there ever be a real cure for baldness?

I have the same condition, although I'm older than you. My dad was bald up the middle except for some hair left on the sides when he died at 54, so since its hereditary I think I'm headed (no pun intended! ) down that road. I don't like it. I'm over 40 now and my hair on top is so thin that it is nearly impossible to comb it and make it flow into a style because there's not enough of it. So it stands up and frequently looks like I don't comb my hair - sloppy. Its really getting me down. I have some hangups about age and body image. I think that the full sides/bald top makes me look even older.

I have not tried those remedies like you mention because I really don't think they work.

The thought of shaving my head has entered my mind but I just don't know. I'm not in a relationship so I don't have the woman for the "moral support" on the whole hair loss issue. I look at actors like Bruce Willis and women think he's super hot even bald. I don't know how I'd look bald - my fear is that I'd look worse than with the thin hair.

In addition to your question about future treatments, can anyone give advice on shaving it? pros/cons? any particular way, or completely off? I've been going to a barber and I don't think he's too knowledgeable on that. My hair on the sides and back of the head does grow pretty well so if I shaved it how would I maintain it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread