It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
(female)

Sticky Deb HB User
Question Menopause, Sticky skin and Hair loss/breakage

I just left my dermatologists office for skin and hair related issues and she told me that I am menopausal. She says she believes that my skin and hair problems may be due to menopause. Are these symptoms seen in menopause?

I have very sticky skin. It started about eight months ago with just my hands and feet being sticky after washing, but has grown progressively worse. It has spread over my entire body and I am now sticky all of the time. My hands and feet are by far the worst. Now there is a sticky, shiny film on my hands. When I shower it takes a good 20 minutes to be dry enough to dress, although I am still sticky.

Also my skin does not absorb anything. I no longer use mosturizer because it just sits on top of the skin and makes it even more sticky. It's the same with deoderant. I use very little and it takes about 20 minutes for it to dry enough to dress.

My skin also feels raw, like the nerves are exposed. It's just a burning itching feeling, of course worse on the hands and feet.

And lastly, my hair is having the same effect. It will not absorb the conditioner and is very dry. It falls out when I wash it, not clumps bur quite a bit. I am not sure if it is falling out or breaking off. But the hair has thinned and there are all of these short crazy hairs all over.

I just need to make this stickiness go away whatever the cause. I hope someone can help. I don't know how much longer I can deal with this before I go nuts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2010, 07:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User
Re: Menopause, Sticky skin and Hair loss/breakage

Hi Sticky Deb,

Do you mean by sticky skin, like sweaty? My skin is extremely dry from this peri and it does itch alot.

As far as the hair goes, yes, I am losing it by the gobs too, especially in the shower. I have not only the breakage, but must be losing it from the scalp because I have the new hair popping out and standing straight up on the top of my head (well at least it's growing back)!!!

I think it's real important at this time to continue to moisturize, both skin and hair. We start losing elasticity during meno.

I started using olive oil on my skin to keep it moist. Between the oil and the hot flashes, you could fry an egg on me in no time!!!!

Missy

p.s. Have you had your thyroid checked lately? It could also be that causing your problems.

Last edited by missy222; 04-22-2010 at 07:26 PM.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User

StickyDeb: Get your hormones tested by an endocrinologist. Some of the things you talk about could be related to estrogen dominance. You might benefit from some progesterone cream.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:33 AM   #4
(female)

Sticky Deb HB User

Missy222,

Thanks for your reply. By "sticky skin" I don't mean sweating. While I have been sweating at night I haven't been sweating during the day. I have had this sticky skin throughout the winter without any sweating. My skin actually sticks to itself. When I wash my hands I use a paper towel to dry them and the paper towel will actually stick to my hands. My fingers stick to the pages of the magazines when reading.

Moisture makes it worse. I have to keep a paper towel wrapped around any glass or soda can becasue my hands will stick to the glass or can.

I take a shower and still don't feel clean because I am so sticky. My whole body is just sticky. It is just so hard to explain.

And the hair, ugh. It is so dry and dead. When I get in the shower and it gets wet it sticks to my skin. When I wash it it gets so tangled it's like it teased it. And it falls out or breaks off, I'm not sure which. I think it's a little of both. It doesn't absorb anything I put in it. I can't use any product in it because it looks greasy, and I have tried everything.

Nice to know I am not the only one with the hair problem. But it seems I am alone in the sticky skin.

I hope to get into the gyn ASAP to see if hormones help. It's is very exhausting to feel this way.

Have a great day!

Old 04-23-2010, 09:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi Sticky Deb,

Wow! I can't say I have ever heard of that during menopause. Did your dermatologist do any testing to see what it may be? I would definetely ask for some blood or skin tests. Are you around any toxins that you might be breathing in? Chemicals or anything that can be hazardous to your health? It seems to me your body is trying to release something through your pores.

Perhaps you can try a steamy shower at first to open up and cleanse your pores and then a cold shower to close your pores up. Maybe that might a help a bit.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

I hope you find an answer, please keep us posted and let us know how it is going.

Missy

Last edited by missy222; 04-23-2010 at 09:04 PM.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:57 AM   #6
(female)

Sticky Deb HB User

Hey Missy,

Thanks. I go back to my GP doc an Teusday and have an appointment with my gyn the next week so maybe they can come up with something. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Deb

Old 04-24-2010, 12:05 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User

Sticky Deb: I shared this with Missy the other day. Maybe you have some yeast built up in your body or it could be allergies. Maybe you need to detoxify yourself.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:50 PM   #8
(female)

Sticky Deb HB User

How do you detoxify yourself?

Old 04-24-2010, 07:30 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sticky Deb: There are many ways you can do it. I think you can look it up on the web. There are foot baths that you can use that work with ions and pull toxins out of you. There are foot pads you can wear to bed for 14 days. Unfortunately I can't name the sites on here for you. There are also some herbal type things that you can do.

I have a friend that has fibromyalgia and sleep apnea and she was getting a hoarse voice and a friend of hers suggested this foot bath that pulled toxins out of you. She did it and she said the hoarsness went away some and she felt more energized and said the water turned red and there was some white foam in it. They told her it was yeast.

We breathe and eat toxins all the time. They build up in our bodies and are one of the culprits for increasing estrogen levels in women. I can't use this method because they don't recommend it for people that have pacemakers or are epileptics and there's a whole list of other reasons I can't remember. It has something to do with the electric charges in your body. See if you can find some info on the web.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:02 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey Deb,

I have my fingers crossed for you too and I'll also say a prayer.

I am just amazed that a dermatologist would say stickiness is a sign of menopause! I have never heard of such a thing!! But then again, as many symptoms that pop up with me, I will probably be sticky next week!

Let us know what happens at your doc visits.

Missy

Old 04-26-2010, 10:40 AM   #11
(female)

Sticky Deb HB User

Thanks guys. I will continue to try and find an answer and a cure. I will keep you posted.

Have a great day!

The following user gives a hug of support to Sticky Deb:
anuc (07-13-2011)
Closed Thread