It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2010, 05:37 PM   #1
(female)

celrelief HB User
Question About Hair Loss on Synthroid

I've been on Synthroid 50 mcg for about 2 months and my hair is falling out like crazy. For those for you who have had hair loss while on Synthroid, does the shedding ever stop? If so, after how long? Should I ask the doc about switching to Armour or another med to stop the loss? I've lost a LOT of hair over the past few years (I think because I've been hypo for a while, although only diagnosed recently) and I was hoping the meds would make the hair loss better not worse!!

Old 06-07-2010, 06:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Question About Hair Loss on Synthroid

People tend to have hair loss when there is a change in hormone levels. In your case, you can be losing because you have changed the thyroid hormone levels.

However, if this turns out to be an insufficient dose (too low or too high), you could continue lose hair until you find the right dose, and then regulate on it. Once you get to the right dose, and regulate, the hairloss should hopefully stop, and the good news is, it should grow back too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
(female)

JC in CA HB User

I've been on Synthroid for 5 years. I had noticed increased hair loss this past winter- and suspected my iron might be low. My endo said the same thing - checked my iron levels and found that I was anemic. He put me on an iron supplement. Six weeks later- hairdresser noticed a lot of new hair growth. So- if you haven't had your iron checked in awhile- I urge you to do so and not explain hair loss with just being hypo.
-JC in CA

Old 06-08-2010, 11:03 AM   #4
(female)

celrelief HB User

@ Reece, I'm only on 50 mcg of Synthroid right now, and my doc wants to wait three months between a dosage change and re-testing. At that rate, I won't have any hair left at all! Is there anything I can do to slow the rate of hair loss down? I'm pretty sure (based on my symptoms) that I'll need to increase my current level of Synthroid.

@ JC, regarding iron and hair loss, I'm post-menopause (had a hysterectomy in 2007), so iron shouldn't be a problem, should it?

Thanks for all your help, everybody!

Old 06-09-2010, 12:58 PM   #5
(female)

JC in CA HB User

cel-
I'm not sure that being post-menopausal eliminates the possiblity of being iron deficient. I would suggest asking your doctor- an iron test might still be in order.
-JC in CA

Old 09-09-2010, 06:11 AM   #6
(female)

canitrythis HB User

I have been taking Synthroid for about a month and have noticed a ton of hair loss. I am hoping it will be like when I lost hair after giving birth. Due the the change in my hormones, and that it will all kind of grow back at once. Does synthroid just kind of make the hair growing cycle "reset?"

Old 09-09-2010, 01:49 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

dhurlbert3 HB Userdhurlbert3 HB Userdhurlbert3 HB User

I'm on 100mcg of synthroid for about 2 wks, not really noticing alot of hair loss. I'm also post menopausaul(?) and have been on hrt for that for 2 yrs, maybe that helps. Let me know if things tend to change.

Closed Thread