It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
(female)

ltb109 HB User
thyroid hormone replacement and increased hair loss

Hello, I have Hashi's even though my TSH has always been around 1, my FT4 is 0.9 (.08-1.8) and FT3 260 (230-4??), my TGab are 389 but TPO <20. I have almost every symptom of hypothyroid and finally convinced a doctor to start me on thyroid supplement. Within 2 weeks of starting Armour 60 grains my hair shedding increased by about 50%, it was pretty bad before! I stopped the Arnour let it get out of my system and after a few days I started 25 mcg of levothyroxine and that same day the shedding increased. Has anyone experienced this and does the increased shedding and overall shedding eventually stop?

Old 06-09-2010, 08:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: thyroid hormone replacement and increased hair loss

Hair shedding can temporarily become worse when treatment starts. It's the fluctuation in thyroid levels that makes the difference, not the med itself. Once your levels stabilize, the shedding should stop.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2010, 04:32 AM   #3
(female)

ltb109 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Hair shedding can temporarily become worse when treatment starts. It's the fluctuation in thyroid levels that makes the difference, not the med itself. Once your levels stabilize, the shedding should stop.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:35 AM   #4
(female)

ltb109 HB User

Thank you for the reply, I may in that case start Armour again. I have also read of people who take both Armour and synthetic replacement. Fortunately, I have a physician who is williing to do what I want. I am a nurse practitioner but thyroid disease is not my specialty.

Closed Thread