It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2010, 05:36 AM   #1
(female)

itsmekelly HB Useritsmekelly HB User
Question Levothyroxine Hair Loss Question

Iíve read that Levothyroxine can cause hair lossÖ.how does someone who is taking Levothyroxine know of the hair loss is from the hormonal adjustment or the medicine itself?

Iíve been prone to hair loss in the past due to hormonal issues, after a baby etc, however I havenít experienced hair loss due to any medications before.
I started on the medicine August 1, within 2 weeks I felt GREATÖ..then took a back-slide. I went into the doctors and I needed my dose upped to 50mg, I started that on 9/28. Itís been a week since Iíve been on the new dose and I feel GREAT, better than I have in years. My only complaint is the hair loss.

Also I am an avid supplement taker, so I know Iím good there.
Is there a way to know if itís the medication or just my hormones adjusting? I have to admit itís a little stressful to lose 200+ hairs each morning.

Many thanks!
Kelly

Old 10-06-2010, 05:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Levothyroxine Hair Loss Question

Any change in hormones (not just thyroid) can cause hair loss. Once you are at the right dose, and have adjusted to it, the hair loss should stop. It's not the levo that makes you lose the hair, it's the hormonal flux.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2010, 09:50 AM   #3
(female)

hypo sandy HB User

I found that I lost my hair with levothyroxine. It quit falling out when I changed to armour. When armour changed it's formula I went to compounded thyroid and it is still working great. Just a suggestion.

Great to hear you are feeling better )

Old 10-06-2010, 12:08 PM   #4
(female)

Thank you for your response.

Doesn't Armor give you T3 as well? My T3 is perfect, so all I need is the T4 right?! My FT3 was good as well.

Honestly I'm totally new at the whole Thyroid thing....trying to get healthy and then educate myself

As much as I hate to say this......I'm most concerned with my hair right now
I feel wonderful, I hope it stays this good. But my hair makes me sad.

If I knew it was just the hormonal adjustment making my hair fall out, I can feel at ease a bit.....but I hear lots of folks saying it could be a reaction from the medication itself. I'm so confused.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
(female)

hypo sandy HB User

Yes, armour has T3. I think it was something to do with the levothyroxine. I was losing my hair before I was diagnosed with hypothyroid. When I started levothyroxine I waited 6 months to see if my hair would stop falling out. It wasn't working so I changed to armour. And wallah! It worked for me.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:15 PM   #6
(female)

Oh you are so lucky! That's what I'm concerned with, it being the medication. If it were hormonal only, I know it will fix itself once my levels are adjusted. BUT if it's the medication alone causing the hair loss....YIKES, I don't want to think about what will happen.
I don't have 6 more months of hair to lose, so I'm hopeful it will even out here soon.

Thank you!

Old 01-20-2011, 12:17 AM   #7
(female)

vaniaan HB User

Hello,

Thanks for posting- I have been on levothyroxine what is upsetting is that part of the reason I went on it was to help with hair loss but like you it seems to be causing more hair loss. I'm glad to read that it has happened to others and maybe I will come off it. Due to speak to my Doctor Monday so we will see- do you know why it causes hair loss? Do you have any solutions? I wish I could help but I cant not yet anyway.

Thank god for my cat who loves me anyway sitting right here and purring away. Would I had her nice healthy coat!
Vania

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmekelly View Post
Iíve read that Levothyroxine can cause hair lossÖ.how does someone who is taking Levothyroxine know of the hair loss is from the hormonal adjustment or the medicine itself?

Iíve been prone to hair loss in the past due to hormonal issues, after a baby etc, however I havenít experienced hair loss due to any medications before.
I started on the medicine August 1, within 2 weeks I felt GREATÖ..then took a back-slide. I went into the doctors and I needed my dose upped to 50mg, I started that on 9/28. Itís been a week since Iíve been on the new dose and I feel GREAT, better than I have in years. My only complaint is the hair loss.

Also I am an avid supplement taker, so I know Iím good there.
Is there a way to know if itís the medication or just my hormones adjusting? I have to admit itís a little stressful to lose 200+ hairs each morning.

Many thanks!
Kelly

Old 01-20-2011, 05:48 AM   #8
(female)

Vania,

How long have you been taking Levothyroxine?

Are you taking any vitamins?

Have you been tested to see how your Vitamin D, B and Iron levels are?

I started taking it at the end of July 2010, right now nearly 6 months later...my hair has stopped falling out and is regrowing in.

If you just started Levothyroxine, give it some time......my hair fell out for 3 months. Then it slowly slowed down until it was normal again.

I could have cried most days, hair is so important!

Old 01-20-2011, 06:31 AM   #9
(female)

vaniaan HB User

Yes tell me about it- i have to wear a hat most of the time because its so embarrassing.

My iron levels are low so I also take iron. I didn't know u could test for vitamin B and D shall I ask my Doctor?

I'm knackered all the time so I'm thinking of taking a good multivitamin and then taking more thyroxine probably up to 50mg next month - Have been on 25mg for a bout 6 weeks.

Thanks for letting me know- that is great you don't have hair problem any more- it really is! I hope the same will happen for me.

Vania

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmekelly View Post
Vania,

How long have you been taking Levothyroxine?

Are you taking any vitamins?

Have you been tested to see how your Vitamin D, B and Iron levels are?

I started taking it at the end of July 2010, right now nearly 6 months later...my hair has stopped falling out and is regrowing in.

If you just started Levothyroxine, give it some time......my hair fell out for 3 months. Then it slowly slowed down until it was normal again.

I could have cried most days, hair is so important!

Closed Thread