It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2010, 10:03 AM   #1
(female)

itsmekelly HB Useritsmekelly HB User
Thumbs up Levothyroxine Hair Loss Hope

Hair Loss Slowdown, my story (very long)

I wanted to share a success story. I searched and searched for success stories when I was first diagnosed with hypothyroidism and hardly found any. …especially on hair loss.

The hair loss devastated me more than any other symptom I was having.
Please note, I am not a medical professional of any kind, with no training or medical education. This is just my personal experience.

For the past year, I honestly felt terrible. I had no idea what was wrong, I was tired, wasn’t sleeping, no energy, just wasn’t myself. I honestly thought I was going through perimenopause at 41 years old. However when I spoke to my doctor about it, she thought I was crazy. Honestly I felt like I was going crazy….my monthly cycle was messed up, I wasn’t sleeping, moody, cranky, moody, tired, no energy…moody, weight gain, arms and legs felt weighted down…did I mention MOODY LOL.

So I waited a year for my next yearly check-up….I had good days and bad days but finally it was getting worse. I started keeping track of my monthly cycles, making notes of how I felt etc. I started experiencing dry eyes, nose and mouth on top of everything else.

I really like my doctor, I was disappointed that she didn’t hear me out last year nor even thought of doing a thyroid test. But it’s in the past so I don’t dwell on it.

Before my yearly check-up, I was losing hair. Not a ton at this point but more than what I consider normal for me. Now, I am prone to hair loss…after I had each one of my children I lost a ton of hair for a while and thought I’d go bald.

Fast forward a bit, I went for my check-up and she checked my thyroid among other things. One day later she called (that’s what I call service LOL) and told me my TSH was high and called me in 25mg of Levothyroxine. I was a happy to know I wasn’t losing my mind, that I really did have a medical excuse for feeling so flipping crappy.

Off to the pharmacy to get my prescription. Oh my, did I read this right?! Levothyroxine can cause hair loss….for someone prone to hormonal hair loss, this is not what you want to read. So I called the doctor’s office and they ensured me it would be OK.

I started the very next day on 25mg….after a week I still felt like crap. At the end of the 2nd week, I started feeling good. I had 2 really good weeks after that…..then the bottom dropped out and I felt like crap again. Almost worse than I felt before and my hair started coming out in handfuls. Oh my goodness, losing 300+ hairs one morning was so sad. I bagged it up, yes I sure did LOL. I thought they will never believe me, I’m going to bag it up and date it and prove to them if I have to ha ha ha.

Back to the doctor I went….this time she checked my FT3, FT4 and checked me for Hashimoto’s and total TSH again. She looked at my scalp and even she was concerned about my hair loss. For nearly a month I was losing 200-300+ hairs a day (I continued to bag my hair loss after my shower and yes at one point even counted them <shameful look here>) .

My results were, FT3 GREAT, FT4 bad, Hashimoto’s, negative (YIPPIE) and total TSH bad. So she upped my dose to 50mg…..oh and my hair was falling out in buckets.

One week after my dose upped, felt a tiny bit better. Hair still falling out…ugggg! Honestly how long can someone go without a bald spot. I had no bald spots, but thinning all over my head. Boo Hoo!

Two weeks after my dose was increased I’m feeling pretty good. Hair still falling out though…..now I start to wonder, is it the medication OR the hormone adjustment?!

Nearing the end of week 2, I started taking Zinc, 50mg at night (because it upsets my stomach I take it at bedtime). I have always taken vitamins, but I researched hair loss and hypothyroidism and changed some things around. Below is what I take, again I am NO professional…..some of these I have always taken, some I added recently. I would consult your doctor to ensure you are getting what’s best for you.

Vitamin B-complex (I have always taken) – take after breakfast

Biotin (recently added) – take after breakfast (this is a B-vitamin…but good for hair)

Fish Oil (recently added) – take one after each meal (I try to take at least 2 a day)

Multi Vitamin (I have always taken) – take after lunch

Vitamin C (I have always taken) – take after breakfast

Magnesium (recently added) – take after breakfast

Vitamin-D (I have always taken) – take after lunch

Zinc (recently added) take at night before bed

I noticed my hair loss was slowing down, I was feeling GREAT as well. Yesterday I noticed there was less hair loss, this morning I noticed less hair loss…..so I’ve feeling pretty good about it. I feel it’s hormonal and not the medication. I’m not putting all my eggs in one basket yet…..after I have experienced a few weeks of less hair loss, I’ll feel really good. Now I have to hope for hair regrowth!

I wanted to write this for anyone worried and concern…seeking for hope to hold onto.

I will continue to stop by and post my results….hopefully my hair loss has stopped falling out abnormally. I will keep you posted.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to itsmekelly For This Useful Post:
biggestloser (06-13-2011), colorqueenkathy (07-17-2012), Missy55 (07-16-2012), tx309coco (07-10-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2010, 12:51 AM   #2
(female)

luvmakeup1000 HB User
Re: Levothyroxine Hair Loss Hope

I am so happy you posted this. I am doing the same, just looking for success stories but there doesn't seem to be any only the bad stories not even one person saying their hair stopped falling out even if it didn't come back. Well, I have low iron at 7 and I am borderline hypothyroid, so I am struggling with deciding to take the meds or not. I feel like lots of my problems maybe from being so low in iron so I am for sure taking the iron supplement as the dr. requested but not sure if I should take the levothryroxine if I am only borderline, however I have many symptoms but some are perimenopausal I think also. I have nights sweats and hot flashes too.

Anyways, thanks and good luck.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:45 AM   #3
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmakeup1000 View Post
I am so happy you posted this. I am doing the same, just looking for success stories but there doesn't seem to be any only the bad stories not even one person saying their hair stopped falling out even if it didn't come back. Well, I have low iron at 7 and I am borderline hypothyroid, so I am struggling with deciding to take the meds or not. I feel like lots of my problems maybe from being so low in iron so I am for sure taking the iron supplement as the dr. requested but not sure if I should take the levothryroxine if I am only borderline, however I have many symptoms but some are perimenopausal I think also. I have nights sweats and hot flashes too.

Anyways, thanks and good luck.
Have you by chance tried a B-Complex? I did a search on vitamins good for hypos, and that was one of them. It's water soluble so you need to replenish your body daily of these.

I watched the show 'The Doctors' not to long ago on hair loss. They said ensure you have enough iron, vitamin-b complex, vitamin-d and biotin (which is a b-vitamin I believe). Do a little research....maybe worth checking into. Good luck!!

Old 10-10-2010, 09:59 PM   #4
(female)

luvmakeup1000 HB User

After all the research and your post backs it up....I am going to add the B complex, magnesium, zinc....I already take vitamin C, biotin and fish oil. I did see a dr. said to take the magnesium with taurine (amino acid). Also, need to add L-lysine...I am going to the store tomorrow to get the rest of these and see how it goes. Since I don't know if the hair shed is due to borderline low thryoid or super low iron, I want to try the iron first only thing is it's going to take so long for it to get up high enough for me to tell. I am struggling with deciding on taking the levothyroxine or not. I have lots of symptoms but I also had a hormone test done and it says I am progesterone deficient and it's causing estrogen dominance. So, I may have some of those symptoms mixed in. My skin is so dry, aging by the minute, brain fog, headaches, joint pain, bruising, dry eyes...but I have little kids and all I feel like I do is yell at them, I have no patience and I am always telling them I am tired. I never play with them, I am always in a bad mood, I never have a smile on my face. Now they tiptoe around me and think only Daddy is fun. I am missing these times with my kids because I can't get this crap figured out...I need to be better for them, I use to be a fun and happy person but she's been gone for so long, it doesn't seem as thought I was ever that person.

Anways, I guess I will probably ask other people if they were borderline hypo, if they decided to go with the meds or without.

Thanks for your input.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #5
(female)

I'm still not 100%....and since I wrote this post late late last week, I had 2 icky days. BUMMER. I'm working on week 3 of my new dose 50mg of Levothyroxine. Seems on my good days my hair loss is at a minimum...on the days I feel really crappy my hair falls out more.

I know there is hope and if I get my hormones adjusted I will stop the hair loss, until then we keep plugging at it. It's depressing, walking around feeling like you have PMS 24/7.

The days I feel good are just wonderful, I have so much energy......it's great. I just wish I felt that good all the time. My guess is my dose will be upped again, which is fine if I can feel good!

Old 10-11-2010, 07:49 PM   #6
(female)

luvmakeup1000 HB User

Some good days are better than no good days. You just upped to 50mg, well my Dr. wants me to START at 100 mgs plus 5 mg of another meds I just can't remember the name of it...I feel like that's too high to start at especially if I am only borderline hypo. I can't afford to switch dr.s since I didn't have insurance and just paid all kinds of money to him for his visit and all these tests. I want a few good days too. Just scared to take the first step. Well, I have only been on the iron for a week, so cross your fingers and let me know how it goes.

Good luck.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:31 AM   #7
(female)

I hope the iron works for you. When I go next, I'm going to have her check my iron levels as well.

I went from 25mg to 50mg...and I'm guessing I'll need another jump before it's all done with. I'd heard that within 2 weeks you should feel better and within 3 months pretty good. Well, it's been 2 weeks, I feel OK....but not what I consider 'better'.

Today I woke up feeling better than I did yesterday....however I am a bit more tired than I should be.

I'll keep checking this post to see how you are doing, please do let me know.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:26 AM   #8
(female)

luvmakeup1000 HB User

Thanks, I will let you know and you let me know as well and hopefully we'll have good news eventually for other people in the same situation.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:18 AM   #9
(female)

I started my new dose of 50mg, 2 weeks ago. I called the doctor to see if I could come in earlier than the 6 weeks to see if my numbers are good. She said to get an accurate blood test I need to take the new dose for 6 full weeks (4 more weeks).

When I started this thread, I had 2 EXTREMELY good days with little hair loss. Though it's not as bad as it was, it has picked up since I started this thread.

The doctor ensured me once my medicine is regulated, the hair loss will slow. So I guess time will tell.

Oh and I asked her if she would check my iron levels when she does my blood work for my thyroid readings.

Hopefully by Christmas I'll feel good and my hair loss has SLOWED way down. Untiil then I'll stop by with updates.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:54 PM   #10
(female)

luvmakeup1000 HB User

Sounds good, I'll cross my fingers for the both of us... I have thin hair so hopefully for me in a few months, I will still be able to go places. Good luck.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:15 AM   #11
(female)

luvmakeup1000 HB User

Well, I've been on meds for hypothyroid and have been to 2 other doctors and it has not stopped. My dosage has been tweeked but no change in hairloss. My hair is is now see throughish in the front and temples and I have an actual bald spot in the crown area. I am so distraught. I have been to 3 doctors total and now will be going to my 4th. He says he does't think it's the thyroid doing this, my Dheas was really high and my progesterone was low and estrogen was high, so he thinks actually it's my hormones causing this and he says also my hormones could be mimmicking me having thyroid problems and I shouldn't have taken the thyroid meds but first fixed my hormones to see if it would help my thyroid. Well, the other doctor didn't do any of that and now I'm stuck on thyroid meds that I shouldn't even be on now.

So, now I have to more research (like I'm not on the computer enough looking up hair loss solutions) on how to try to get off thyroid meds naturally and balance my hormones. He wants me to take spironolactone and estrogen pill but I want to take bioidentical progesterone which will help make estrogen. Anways, hopefully I can get this figured out soon. I can't do anything outside now since the sun makes my hair so sparse looking. I have small children that I never take to the park anymore or take to outdoor birthday parties, I have this is controlling my life but it is.

Thanks for the help with information. Good luck to you.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:03 PM   #12
(male)

NeverLoseHope HB User

my goodness, well I kinda hope it is just a minor hormonal imbalance with you. I know people on spirnolactone for elevated testosterone due to poly cystic ovarian syndrome and seems to work well for restoring hormonal levels. You should see if you can't get the Hypothyroid ruled out though. Your symptoms sound very Hypo. Like push to get a T3, free T3, T4 and Free T4 test done as well as the TSH. For me, my hypothyroidism is causing my Prolactin levels to be very elevated and I have read studies saying that high prolactin is related to my low testosterone, low vitamin D, B, and calcium. So, hypothyroidism does seem to be the underlying cause with alot of hormonal issues.

Closed Thread