It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2011, 09:13 AM   #1
(male)

TimmyM23 HB User
2 Rogaine Questions

Hello everyone, I have two questions on Rogaine.

I am a 32 year old male with Male Pattern Balding. I have used Roagine Foam 5% for about 8 months or so.

Question 1
I have a 2 year old child who, like all 2 year olds, loves to play. If he touches the top of my head can the chemicals from rogaine cause him any ill. I have searched the internet and have not found anything. I try to have him not touch it as much as possible. I wouldnt think so, but would love to hear from others

Question 2
The first 3 months on rogaine foam I had a ton of shedding, then it went away. Now on month 8 I am having another round of shedding. Is this normal? Should I continue treatment?

Thank you!

Old 03-15-2011, 11:56 PM   #2
(female)

Twiz HB User
Re: 2 Rogaine Questions

I wouldnt think as long as you wash your childs hands after she/he touches your hair it shouldnt be a problem.

I use Rogaine and ive never had the shedding that you are talking about...i dont use the foam tho, but i wouldnt think that should happen...maybe go back to the liquid type and see if it stops. ((Hugs))

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
(male)

Stoler99 HB UserStoler99 HB User

The shredding is very normal up to 3 months, then some hair should grow.
Did any hair grow after 3 months?
Have you had any hair growth since using it for 8 months?
If you've had no hair growth, then i would stop using it, especially for the fact you said the hair started shredding again after 8 months.

Last edited by Stoler99; 03-24-2011 at 03:37 PM.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:30 AM   #4
(female)

jgdlee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoler99 View Post
The shredding is very normal up to 3 months, then some hair should grow.
Did any hair grow after 3 months?
Have you had any hair growth since using it for 8 months?
If you've had no hair growth, then i would stop using it, especially for the fact you said the hair started shredding again after 8 months.
it worked for me i didnt have shedding but i startde having facial hair growth so i had to stop using it of course

Old 10-19-2011, 08:23 PM   #5
(male)

ofacto HB User

Though Rogaine probably won't do your child any harm, he probably should avoid touching your head when you have it in your hair as it might cause irritation to a child's sensitive skin. Around 80% of Rogaine is absorbed in the first 2 hours, if you wanted to you could wash you hair out then to avoid your child contacting it.

Also Minoxidil is poisonous to cats, so if you have pets keep it away from them.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:41 AM   #6
(male)

WasFatNoMore HB UserWasFatNoMore HB User

Hi, can not answer your question about any harm to your child. Have you read the package inserts? They might shed some insight. My main concern would be, after the rogain has dried, is that 2 year olds love to stick their fingers in their mouth and get some of the dried residue in his mouth. Perhaps you could wear a baseball cap when playing and of course train him to not play with Dad's hair.

As for the shedding. I do not recall having that problem and I bet I have been using Roagine for about 20 years. I am 53 now. I will tell you this, however, my thinning started at the crown and that is where I apply the Rogaine. I have noticed no regrowth of hair BUT I have not lost any additional hair either. From my experience Rogaine will bascially help you keep the hair you have. It will not give you back the hair you had in high school. But for me, it is worth it.

Good luck on your hair and have fun with the little one!

Old 02-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
(male)

hellouser HB User

As long as they keep it out of their eyes and mouth, they should be fine. However, Minoxidil (the stuff thats in Rogaine) is very lethal for cats, make sure you keep it away from your pets (if you have any).

Closed Thread