It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2011, 07:36 PM   #1
(female)

Angeleyes1437 HB User
Hair Thinning/hypothyroidism etc?

I really need some advice and support regarding issues I have been having with my hair for quite some time. I apologize in advance for the length of this post. As a young teen my hair was so thick and hard to manage that it would break combs and I would have to get it thinned with shears just to control it.

At around 20 I started losing my hair evenly throughout my scalp. It became very fine and brittle. I went to my family practice doctor and told him I thought I had a thyroid problem as it runs in my family. My TSH came back fine and he brushed me off that my hair was "fine". It took me years of struggling with my hair to find an endocrinologist who said he could help me at the age of 26 years. He was rated highly on the Internet reviews and only took cash... but I was desperate and my husband was supportive of giving it a shot.

During my search for an endo my OB/GYN "diagnosed" me with PCOS due to irregular periods, or lack thereof.

My endo gave me Spironolactone and put me on Yaz to "fix" my hair even though my hormone levels seemed okay. At the same time my hair dresser suggested we do a regular glaze with Redken EQ shades to plump my hair and make it manageable. The glaze helped a decent amount, but the meds did not seem to work. My doctor kept pushing me to give it more time and it would work.

At 27 years old, I came off the meds last October to get pregnant with the help of Clomid and quickly had a miscarriage. My endo's reply was that it was unrelated to the PCOS and these things happen sometime. I know they do so I took his advice and went back on the Spiro/Yaz meds hoping to try and start a family maybe later this year (2011).

At the age of 28, my last endo appointment this past January my doctor told me that my thyroid numbers showed hypothyroidism. He stated it "could be a fluke" and recommended that we retest in June before taking action. I was not happy with this response as hypothyroidism runs in my family and was what I originally thought was the cause of my hair loss and many other symptoms.

I started researching thyroid doctors and found a doctor right near my house in Brooklyn, NY who specializes in alternative medicine and has been on the top doctors lists in NYC for years. I figured it was worth a shot. He was very knowledgeable, told me that the expensive doctor in Manhattan basically treated me with the most common treatment for PCOS, and did not even fully test my thyroid despite my belief that my thyroid was the cause. He only tested for TSH when T1, T2, T3, T4 and Reverse T3 should be tested as well. He also did not believe that I had PCOS considering I was thin and my glucose/fasting insulin were fine.

Low and behold I have hypothyroidism with normal thyroid hormone but too much reverse T3. He believes this is the cause of my hair loss as well as my irregular/lack of periods and miscarriage. So he told me to come off of the Spiro and Yaz, and to start cytomel (a thyroid medicine). I feel A LOT better already and it has only been about 1 1/2 months! The only thing is that my hair is still shedding a LOT! I literally have a handful of hair in my hand after every shower. Would I see a change already? I just took a 21 day blood test to check my hormones off of birth control, so I'm hoping to get some additional answers on my April 11th appointment. He is also starting to run tests for food allergies and yeast problems to see if that is a problem. Does anyone have any advice or input they can share with me?

Today I was having my hair dresser blow out my hair for me as I just had surgery on my wrist for a kick-boxing injury. She was telling me that she could see a lot of pores that did not have hairs in them, and that I should consider using garlic shampoo and conditioner. I already ordered it online. Does anyone have experience with this? I am so tired of getting glazes every 2-3 weeks just to stop my hair from looking pathetically thin.

I just want to add that my hair is to the middle of my back, and every time I run my fingers through it (if I'm not wearing it curly) I at least have one hair come out. I do not remember that happening when I was younger and do not think it is normal... am I crazy?

Any advice would be great! If you made it this far in my thread I would like to THANK YOU for your time and help!!

Last edited by Angeleyes1437; 03-27-2011 at 07:37 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
(female)

qunitis HB User
Re: Hair Thinning/hypothyroidism etc?

I have the same problem due to thyroid disorder. I have been resarching almost everyday, trying to find an answer, unfortunately there is no easy answer. I know both hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism can cause hair loss, so I have been trying to get my thyroid to an optimal level. Also I have been taking iron supplement to increase my ferritin level, because lower ferrtin level can cause hair loss. Hope you get better, if you have more information about this hair loss thing, please let me know.

The Following User Says Thank You to qunitis For This Useful Post:
Angeleyes1437 (04-15-2011)
Old 04-15-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
(female)

Angeleyes1437 HB User

Thank you qunitis. Just for the record, I have been on cytomel for just over a month. Today I got my AF for the first time in 6 years without hormones (BCP or progesterone). They misdiagnosed me with PCOS and my current doctor said he felt it was all from the thyroid... it looks like he was right!!! Now I finally have some hope that this treatment is working, and hopefully the hair growth will follow. Good luck to you as well... please keep me updated with your progress! BTW, my doctor also has me on Biotin and MSM.

Last edited by ms_mod; 04-15-2011 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Removed quote. Ms_Mod

Old 04-20-2011, 01:37 AM   #4
(female)

Pipsal HB User

Angeleyes...your story sounds so much like mine.

I am 30 and after 6 years of trying to hide my scalp with powders, I succumbed to a wig 4 months ago as there simply wasn't enough hair left to cover scalp even with the thickeners/coverups. I am not someone who cares about my appearance at all, but even I look back at photos and realise I really should have gone to the wig years ago.

My hair started noticeably thinning at 21yrs, although I have never had a 'shed' that I've noticed. No family history (other than my 80+ yr old grandmother who still has about 5 times as much hair as me). Was finally diagnosed with PCOS (hairloss, hormone levels a bit out, irregular periods and weight were the ONLY things that indicated it). Was treated with different things, including Spiro and Diane35 (like Yasmin), but it continued to progress. The hair I do have left now could be described as 'fuzz' - super fine, and almost colourless. It also doesn't grow more than about 8 inches (I used to have hair half way down my back and never got it cut, but gradually over the last 10yrs it has got shorter because it falls out before getting that long).

For over 8yrs my hormone levels have been perfect - even now when I have been off the meds for a few years, yet the hairloss progressed. I have been trying to get the Endo to look at Thyroid for me as it runs in my family too - and when I asked for thyroid antibodies test it showed elevated antibodies, but my TSH was fine. They checked it 10yrs ago and it was fine, but given that hormones etc are all good and still progressing, I though they might look at other possibilities again. I wonder if I even have PCOS or its something else like thyroid....I'd love to hear what tests you got done etc so I might be able to get that done too.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
(female)

Angeleyes1437 HB User

Wow, this is absolutely heartbreaking to hear. I feel so terrible for you Where are you located? Maybe I can send you my doctor info. Basically he had me to a saliva test by Genova Diagnostics to test my cortisone levels and adrenal health. Also the Thyroid testing with TSH, T1, T2, T3, T4, and Reverse T3 through Lab Corp. My problem was that my Reverse T3 was way too high. I can already feel changes in my sex drive and overall well being and we are just in the beginning of fixing me. I just hope my hair grows back and stops falling out altogether! I really hope you can get some answers. If there is anything I can do to help please let me know.

One thing I have to do, also from Genova Diagnostics is a stool test. I keep putting it off, but eventually I have to poop in the bucket- LOL! Keep me updated and thank you for your reply

Last edited by ms_mod; 04-20-2011 at 03:58 PM.

Closed Thread