It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #1
(female)

rainbowshearts HB User
hair loss

I started losing lots of hair about three months after breaking up with my boyfriend of ten years. He just up and left leaving me with a lot of bills! I am also a caregiver to my grandparent (Alzheimer's), so that can be stressful at times as well. It's been about a year now and the hair loss has been getting worse. I went to the doctor and got some tests done. He said thyroid and iron levels were okay. I always had very thick hair, but now it's pencil thin! Anybody have any clues? The doctor said I had situational depression and just put me on antidepressants (about two and half weeks now). I do not want to be bald. My hair was so dry and thick/ wiry, but about a week ago the texture changed. It's now thinner and a little softer. I don't know if the antidepressants had anything to do with this or not. I am stuck with all these bills and have had no contact with my ex. He's such a coward. Is this severe hair loss stress related or something else? I hate washing my hair because so much comes out now. Will this stop and will my hair grow back or am I going to have permanent hair loss? If it's going to grow back...how long will it take to start growing back? Please help! Thanks.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
(female)

mustlovecats HB User
Re: hair loss

Emotional issues can be a source for hair loss, if your thyroid and iron levels check out fine that's not the problem. I'm not sure about the antidepressants but I read that some can be a trigger for hair loss so if I were you I would steer away from them. I've been dealing with hair loss for 3 years now, on and off but more on than off and is not what it used to be, thick and healthy but still have hair on my head, is more scarce on top and on the sides but I changed my hairstyle and nobody can tell but me. I used to get very depressed by it but I did a lot of tests and nothing seemed to be out of shape only my Ferritin levels were low, once I took iron it got better but for only a few months and now I'm back to square one, turns out I have my ferritin levels low again hence the hair fall is back on. Take some vitamins for hair and try Rogaine for women, these two things helped me quite a bit. Don't stress about it, I know is difficult but it doesn't help. Best of luck to you

The Following User Says Thank You to mustlovecats For This Useful Post:
rainbowshearts (08-14-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread