It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2011, 09:34 AM   #1
(female)

StayGolden HB User
Just relating... Hair falling out for about 4 years now :(

Hey,
I am only in my mid twenties and my hair has been coming out a lot when I wash it and when I run my fingers through my hair I get a lot of strands coming out. I don't go bald the hair always grows back but it is thinning and not full like it use to be. I was addicted to coloring my hair..I colored all the time until one time my hair was like straw and another it turned to mush. So about two years ago I cut all my hair off I mean completely so I could start over. When my hair started to grow a little the hair loss started again. I do have very bad dandruff that will not go away. I don't know if thats why but my eyelashes come out a lot too so IDK. The dermatologist said if was telogen effluvium but I don't think so it has been going on for way too long..they sayunfortunately some ppl may have it for years..well hope this will help.

I hope it is ok to post this definition Wikipedia says:"Telogen effluvium is a scalp disorder characterized by thinning/shedding of hair resulting from the early entry of hairs into the telogen phase.[1][2]
Emotional or physiological stressful events may result in an alteration of the normal hair cycle.
Telogen effluvium may be caused by eating disorders, fever, childbirth, chronic illness, major surgery, anemia, severe emotional disorders, crash diets, hypothyroidism, and drugs.[1][3]
Diagnostic tests, which may be performed to verify the diagnosis, include a trichogram, trichoscopy[4] and biopsy.[3]"

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User
Re: Just relating..Hair falling out for about 4 years now : ( Telogen effluvium

If you live in an area where the water is what one calls hard water-has lots of chemicals in it-check into getting a water softener. I recently had the same thing happen to me and was tested for thyroid, which can also cause it. The test came back in my favor and my dr. told me the same thing happened to him, so he had a water softener put in his home and his hair grew back within one month.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:33 AM   #3
(female)

Chunnie HB User

Hi, I can relate to your situation. I am going thru the same thing now since Nov to now (pushing 3 months). It is horrible to see your hair coming out. I also get my hair colored every 3 months to include highlights which helped make the hair look thicker. Chemicals are not good for the scalp although I have read on a web site with a famous hair designer here in Pgh that he recommends a great cut and coloring which pumps up the hair (staying with the same products used, some stylist may use different products each time which can cause an allergy) I have been to so many doctors, and Endocronologist, a dermatologist and ended back to my PC, my PC said to just use baby shampoo, buy a wide tooth comb and no conditioner for now. When your hair is wet it stretches so after shampooing and can be pulled and fall out easier, what I do is pat dry my scalp with a towel and then I brought a two sided comb, one side with super wide teeth I comb with that side then the other side of the comb is still wide teeth but not as wide as the other side then comb my hair with that side of the comb, let it air dry somewhat then use a hair dryer set on the cool setting. No hot devices to be used, no curling irons or straighteners. Your scalp and follicils have to rest and heal. I feel also that I have TE only because the hair that falls out is tapered at one end and the other end feels like there is a little bulb. I have been feeling the vellus hairs (tiny, invisible hairs) falling on my face which causes me to constantly swipe my face to see if any fall out on a white piece of paper, but I can never see them. I'm also feeling like my eyelashes are falling out. My Dr had to put me on an antidepressant as I am so stressed out about the fallout, it helps...Everyday I force myself to shower as I stopped taking baths due to seeing all of the hair around the tub going down the drain, so shower, don't bath as it helps with the stress of seeing the hairs. I have my good and bad days, I also have times where my scalp burns. Did you get any bloodwork done? Don't spend alot of money on false products that say the hair will grow back, I've been there, just baby your hair and scalp for awhile and try not to get obsessed with the internet like myself I was diagnosing myself with everything imaginable...find a good vitamin for hair...stay positive...hopefully we can get thru this

Old 01-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
(female)

Chunnie HB User

Hi Danabarb: I agree with you...actually, my husband started complaining that his scalp was burning....on the search for a water softener this weekend...thanks for the tip

Old 01-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
(female)

Chunnie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayGolden View Post
Hey,
I am only in my mid twenties and my hair has been coming out a lot when I wash it and when I run my fingers through my hair I get a lot of strands coming out. I don't go bald the hair always grows back but it is thinning and not full like it use to be. I was addicted to coloring my hair..I colored all the time until one time my hair was like straw and another it turned to mush. So about two years ago I cut all my hair off I mean completely so I could start over. When my hair started to grow a little the hair loss started again. I do have very bad dandruff that will not go away. I don't know if thats why but my eyelashes come out a lot too so IDK. The dermatologist said if was telogen effluvium but I don't think so it has been going on for way too long..they sayunfortunately some ppl may have it for years..well hope this will help.

I hope it is ok to post this definition Wikipedia says:"Telogen effluvium is a scalp disorder characterized by thinning/shedding of hair resulting from the early entry of hairs into the telogen phase.[1][2]
Emotional or physiological stressful events may result in an alteration of the normal hair cycle.
Telogen effluvium may be caused by eating disorders, fever, childbirth, chronic illness, major surgery, anemia, severe emotional disorders, crash diets, hypothyroidism, and drugs.[1][3]
Diagnostic tests, which may be performed to verify the diagnosis, include a trichogram, trichoscopy[4] and biopsy.[3]"
Hi Golden....funny you should mention eyelashes, I've noticed where my are thinning also...are you using a wide tooth comb? I've read that when your hair is wet, it stretches and using a fine tooth comb can aggravate the hairs with the pulling, so I brought a two sided comb, one side with super wide teeth, I use that side first, then the other side with not so wide teeth and I use that second, then lastly...I use the finer teeth comb...it helps with the tugging....I've been thinking about getting it cut shorter, it is now just past my ears and going really into a pixie cut....still debating...it would be less stressful not to see the longer hairs fall out but....today was not such a bad day....but the scalp is still burning....in using just baby shampoo with no conditioner was causing my hair to look more like straw and drying...so I used tea tree conditioner and it seems fuller today....I find that using some conditioners are too heavy and make my hair look greasy and not as fluffy...I'm on the hunt for this new stuff called Intra Force by Redken check it out when you can....how long do these bouts last for you at a time?

Last edited by Chunnie; 01-17-2012 at 01:01 PM. Reason: I misspelled her name...sorry

Old 08-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
(female)

StayGolden HB User

Well my hair is still shedding, but I take a good hair vitamin called Ultra Hair Plus...Hope one day this stops!!

Reply Reply