It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
(female)

sillabham HB User
Pls tell me a cure for Alopecia

Ever since I moved here in London,all I hear is people having problems with hair loss......
Most women I know have this problem......Just few years ago I could notice a hair loss and my hair is thin. So I went to a Center where they told me that my hair loss is genetic, plus is called female hair loss pattern.
Maybe is stress,malnutrition and also the water in London.
But the cure is expensive and it wont assure you 100% hair growth.
Can any one tell me more?And pls pls tel me there is a cure to it!

Old 10-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
(female)

Ecurox HB User
Re: Pls tell me a cure for Alopecia

Hi I'm curious, did you find a product to be helpful? I myself have dealt with this issue for the last 15 yrs. it is def a pattern as my hair thin out almost every 6 mths. It grows back and I get a sense of relief...I once used Nioxin hair products and that went really well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
(male)

mc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB User

There are a ton of potential causes of hair loss. Hair loss with advancing age is generally thought to be an inevitable basically benign effect of aging. But besides that, poor eating and stress/frustration often cause or contribute to hair loss. At least if one's under 30, chances aren't bad it could grow back.

If it is gender-pattern hair loss, it may help to lower your testosterone level. (Yeah, even female pattern hair loss is testosterone related.) Eating less fat, dairy, chocolate, and limiting total calories can help lower testosterone. Less processed soy bean products (like edamame and tofu--but not most other soy things) have a testosterone-lowering effect as well.

Interestingly, some studies have shown that one particularly common cause of hair loss may be skin yeast (fungus) on the scalp--specifically Malassezia. It seems fungus might be involved in causing gender pattern hair loss.

I tried a few dandruff shampoos based on a study of 2% ketoconazole anti-fungal/dandruff shampoo for male pattern baldness. (A small study of men showed most under 30 could regrow some lost hair with that anti-fungal shampoo.)

I have found that switching to dandruff/anti-fungal shampoo has minimized my hair line receding (male pattern baldness). I haven't tried a lot of the shampoos available, but I really like Neutrogena T-Gel. It has pine tar for its anti-fungal action. Nizoral (1% ketoconazole) is supposed to be more effective, but the only demonstrably effective shampoo is prescription-only in the US (Nizoral 2%). Ketoconazole shampoo can be too strong for regular use. I believe it says to potentially only use weekly on the bottle (using a gentler shampoo other times). There might be better anti-fungal/dandruff shampoos in the UK.

It also seems to help to minimize dietary and other contributors to susceptibility to fungal infection generally, which makes sense. A more common fungus is candida. You could google "candida diet" to learn more about relevant dietary factors for candida, which are applicable to fungal infections generally. ((Basically it's just good healthy eating but also some specific things like avoiding alcohol, sugar, dairy products, high omega-6 fats (cottonseed, canola, soy, peanut, etc.), and especially avoiding most supplements (including vitamins and a lot of others things).))

If your hair loss could be fungal, it might help to wash bedding better and/or more often. Since learning about this, I always use a little borax when I wash bedding. It's a mild anti-fungal laundry wash additive. Of course some people might be allergic to the slight borax residue left in laundry (!)

So this has only been my experience, which I submit for your consideration. It might go without saying that it may not be applicable at all.

Last edited by mc7; 11-09-2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: cut out parentheses

Old 11-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #4
(male)

Oh and besides testosterone and other hormonal causes of hair loss, there are a lot of nutritional things. Basically healthy food seems to be key.

One thing, antacids with meals (including calcium/magnesium supplements) inhibit metal absorption--especially iron. Proton pump inhibitors may do the same. Iron and other metals are necessary for hair growth (in the usual steady small daily dose from healthy food). At the same time, too much iron or another metal will cause hair loss too. That's why I now think it's worth avoiding supplements and achieving nutrient balance only with healthy food... anything else should only be done with professional medical advice. (Following random supplement suggestions on the internet can ruin one's health--imagine that!)

Another nutritional thing: if the hair loss is stress or anxiety related, it may be due to mineral imbalance, in which case you may want to avoid calcium in excess if it could be. This is a dietary trick to decrease anxiety and lessen the physiological effects of stress. (I unknowingly had high calcium all through my youth from drinking too much milk.)

Processed foods keep increasing their levels of phosphate (because it has preservative value), but in excess, phosphate causes metal/mineral imbalance. That's one more reason I avoid or severely limit my consumption of most processed foods. (Tho honestly I don't know what benefit I notice from this.)

Taking any metal or mineral supplement or most vitamins (besides maybe a simple multivitamin) seems like an invitation to imbalance to me anymore (without qualified medical advice).

Last edited by mc7; 11-09-2012 at 01:35 PM.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #5
(male)

Stoler99 HB UserStoler99 HB User

Unfortunately their is no cure to hairloss.
Hair Transplants are the best thing for getting back lots of hair.
Ofcourse you got to have some hair for a hair transplant.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
(male)

I agree with Stoler99 to the extent that anything is only a partial solution. With advanced age, hair tends to go no matter what is done to try to preserve it. And I should have said, for all that stuff about fungus/yeast/Malassezia. That's only one type of hair loss (that might go unnoticed as one mechanism of gender-pattern hair loss). Of course, it may not be yours. Personally, I would probably only be suspicious of fungus involvement if my scalp itched.

My scalp did itch sometimes (just a bit), so maybe I shouldn't be too surprised that anti-dandruff/anti-fungal shampoo seems to have stopped my hair loss as far as I can tell. It might also be interesting that I didn't actually have dandruff either. That said, it's not like my hair line is advancing back down to where it used to be. It's just not creeping back as it had been. (Of course, it's also possible I'm just living in a fool's paradise and haven't recognized it yet.)

I also do a lot of other things to minimize my susceptibility to fungal infection now too like following a candida diet, which is basically just healthy eating but also some key things like avoiding alcohol, sugar (stevia is ok), dairy products, high omega-6 fats (cottonseed, canola, soy, peanut, etc.), and especially avoiding practically all supplements/vitamins (pills). Probiotics are about the only supplement-type thing that helps to prevent fungal infections (rather than encourages them).

And I imagine you already knew this, but if you didn't: receding hairline & loss from the crown are the male patterns of hair loss, while diffuse loss that affects the crown least is the female pattern. It's interesting that they're opposite patterns, but they're both caused/accelerated by DHT. The most common solutions to male and female hair loss are DHT-blockers: topical (like Rogaine/Nioxin) and oral/systemic (like Propecia). I don't like the high cost and/or side effects of those drugs for myself, so I have not yet tried them. Since considering T/DHT blockers effectiveness, I've allowed small amounts of unprocessed soy back into my diet. And I've thought I might give stinging nettle a try sometime, but I haven't yet. It supposedly blocks DHT and helps fight candida too, so it seems a bit promising.

Reply Reply