It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2012, 06:23 AM   #1
(male)

thelastofme HB User
Bald, Scaly, Bumpy patch since childhood

Hello. Here is a link to my scalp condition.
http://i45.tinypic.com/w6zgg3.jpg

I've been insecure and have had limited hairstyles my whole life because I covered this thing. My parents told me it was a birthmark when I was younger...but I noticed recently that it's growing. I never really noticed or bothered to check if it was growing, but it looks like it's taking over more of my scalp and I'm losing more hair. Too ashamed to ask my parents for the truth...seems to not be critical as they have never done anything about it. Wonder if they know it's even there.

I've had it since I was a child for as long as I can remember. Don't think I got it at birth because I don't see it in any of my baby pictures, but it was possibly really small at first.

If you look at the darker less bumpy area, I can tell that's been around since childhood...but the newer bumps I'm guessing developed in the past two years (my best estimate...never really looked at it and observed). Does anyone know what it could be?
I am 22 year old and would love to get it taken care of soon so I can finally be free of this insecurity. I just don't know where to go to address the issue, I'm a bit embarrassed to bring it up to just any physician, and I'm worried about the costs.
Please help.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
(female)

tootired2care HB User
Re: Bald, Scaly, Bumpy patch since childhood

My guess it's a case of "cradle cap" that no one ever took care of. Babies get it and when my kids were little, one daughter got a mild case. I was told to rub baby oil on it during the day to soften and smooth the scales then shampoo at night. Let the scalp breathe overnight but put more baby oil on the morning. This has to be done every day for quite some time, depending on how bad it is. That's fine for babies but at your age, the oil would be unsightly all day unless you can wear a cap. You should not be embarrassed to go to a dermatologist for this as it is very common, but he will probably have you using something just as ooey gooey as baby oil. Hope this helps - google cradle cap and see what you think.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
bald, bumpy, scalp, scaly, skin