It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 10:53 PM   #1
(female)

lkat HB User
my pubic hair stopped growing..?

Hi everyone,

I am a perfectly healthy 25 year old female. I eat well and exercise. I have no health problems and the only meds I take are Tricyclen which i've been on for almost 10 years.

Lately, I've noticed that my pubic hair has stopped growing/is growing abnormally. I shave it probably twice a week (downward only), and it comes back in thick. 2 Weeks ago I noticed in 1 spot it wasnt growing back. The hair follicles are still there.. i can see them.. but the hair is just not growing and its smooth. I've shaved it twice since then, and I've noticed maybe 1/3 of the hair grows normally, 1/3 stays at the length its at when i shave.. and then theres the one spot.. about the size of a dime where its not growing at all.

Its all very strange.. should i be worried? or see a doctor? has this happened to anyone else? hair everywhere else is growing normal.

noone in my family has thyroid or iron problems.

thanks
lkat

Old 11-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
(male)

mc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB User
Re: my pubic hair stopped growing..?

Elsewhere people tend to say it's completely normal. They say it has no cause and don't worry about it. That may be true. Indeed there are tons of reasons hair follicles can stop making hair. It could be a sign that a harmless autoimmune reaction occurred there. Some people have a tiny bald patch on their head like this and it's nothing.

But just to conjecture about it, a fungal infection could also possibly be the cause. Itching would be a likely sign of a fungus. Ringworm (and other fungal infections) can cause things like that. And 'ringworm' is actually a fungus not a worm. People can get it (and many other skin infections) from other people and even pets.

If it were fungal, you might find anti-fungal/dandruff shampoo helps. Personally, I like Neutrogena T-Gel. It has pine tar 1-2% as its active anti-fungal ingredient. You might only use it occasionally if it's too harsh. I see Wikipedia mentions tea tree oil soaps might be used too (for fungal skin infections--and that's obviously not necessarily what you have), but they might be harsher. Maybe you might try a yeast infection cream on it.

Incidentally, if there's any chance you got a fungal infection from a pet, it could help to prevent this to wash all your household pets with an anti-fungal shampoo. This could be especially likely if you pets scratch a lot. My dogs didn't have ringworm but they did scratch a lot until I washed them with zinc pyrithione an (weak) anti-fungal shampoo. They practically never scratch now. It's pretty amazing.

Only a doctor can get you the strongest anti-fungal (prescription-only) creams and shampoos. So a doctor can give you the fastest cure on top of a medically informed diagnosis.

Also if it responds to anti-fungal treatment, you might find following a candida diet helps for future prevention.

Finally, bear in mind, I'm a guy. Women might be better informed to tell you this is just perfectly normal or not (and non-fungal or not). Maybe someone better informed is reading? Please don't get worried by my uninformed conjecture.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2013, 05:02 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

shinninglikeme HB User
Re: my pubic hair stopped growing..?

AS you keep the area clean, there are nochances of any fungul infection and loss of hair, but if u do bikini wax there is no growth of hair for a month, But you mentioned you shave that area. So i think You need to wait for a month to not shave and ofcorse keep the area clean and than observe whats happening.

Last edited by shinninglikeme; 06-10-2013 at 05:03 AM.

Reply Reply