It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 07:34 AM   #1
(female)

fearofbears HB User
Unhappy Depressed and desperate 26/f

Hi everyone. I've experienced unexplained dramatic hairloss over the past 8 months to a year. I believe from going on birth control twice and taking the plan B pill. I had a full hormonal panel and blood test done and everything came back normal. My dermatologist said it is telogen effluvium and that It will grow back. I do see small regrowth at my hairline, but not enough to gain what I lost. (40% of my hair). The regrowth does not seem miniaturized. The loss is all over , diffuse, but most obvious to me around my hairline and bangs, it's pretty sparse. There is no hairloss in my family. My mother did lose hair once after her father died in her 20s.

Is this normal with telogen effluvium ? Will it get better ? My dermatologist said it should feel more dense by the summer, te shedding seems to have subsided ( I was initially losing around 200+ hairs a day, now I lose about 100 or less )

I'm so depressed its all i think about. I guess I'm looking for reassurance. I'm te only 26 year old female I know going through this. I feel like an unattractive freak.

Thank you for all your help.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
Re: Depressed and desperate 26/f

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearofbears View Post
Hi everyone. I've experienced unexplained dramatic hairloss over the past 8 months to a year. I believe from going on birth control twice and taking the plan B pill. I had a full hormonal panel and blood test done and everything came back normal. My dermatologist said it is telogen effluvium and that It will grow back. I do see small regrowth at my hairline, but not enough to gain what I lost. (40% of my hair). The regrowth does not seem miniaturized. The loss is all over , diffuse, but most obvious to me around my hairline and bangs, it's pretty sparse. There is no hairloss in my family. My mother did lose hair once after her father died in her 20s.
Is this normal with telogen effluvium ? Will it get better ? My dermatologist said it should feel more dense by the summer, te shedding seems to have subsided ( I was initially losing around 200+ hairs a day, now I lose about 100 or less )
I'm so depressed its all i think about. I guess I'm looking for reassurance. I'm te only 26 year old female I know going through this. I feel like an unattractive freak.
Thank you for all your help.
Hi fear of bears, welcome to healthboards! My bf had this happen after each child, yes, hormones, But, it happened again in menopause. In my experience, when drs take my blood to check for hormones i got the impression that they really didnt know what the results meant. Just said normal but couldnt interpret what was high or low unless the lab told them on the report. My friends dr sent her to an endocrinologist, a special kind, a reproductive endocrinologist, even though she wasnt there to have baby!lol Anyway, she told her that she had a very low thyroid, her estrogen was very low, testerone (females should have a little) was too low, to eat eggs every morning b/c albumin has to do with the make up of the molecular structure of the hair,gave her estrogen with testosterone in it, thyroid medicine & she has new hair about 3" long & 5" now. Her other hair she puts up in a clip, so the part that shows looks thick.(she always wore a big clip like the kind for thick hair, the small ones showed she had very little hair, the big tortoise shell type that you cant see through the holes very
well even when she had very little hair) Other drs told her the tellogen ?, but didnt check her pituitary, just checked estrogen, progest & part of thyroid testing & called it a full hormone panel & didnt do anything but say normal. I hope this helps & if you can only see endocrinologist ask for TSH & all the thyroid panel numbers like t1,t3,t4,t7 (not sure all or right) & all the female hormones including testo, & the dr also said to her that a hormone test is only a snapshot of what is happening @ that time only, it
could change in an hour.I hope this helps & remember that you are wonderfully & beautifully made! Thank you, gmak

Last edited by gmak; 11-18-2012 at 08:25 AM. Reason: typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
(female)

fearofbears HB User

Thank you. I have had my thyroid, testosterone, iron, etc checked. Everything was in the normal range. :/

Old 11-18-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Quote:
Thank you. I have had my thyroid, testosterone, iron, etc checked. Everything was in the normal range. :/
Was it an endocrinologist? B/c if not its like I said, drs dont know how to interpret results, imo. See an endocrinologist anyway & get tests redone, thats what bf had to do. They just say normal b/c lab said normal range, cant interpret results as they compare one to another.Sort of like, if you add red & blue you get purple. They say purple, but what shade of purple matters when one hormone tells another to secrete. Like pituitary tells thyroid to secrete which thyroid hormone & how much. The ratio & proportion, thats how endocrine system works and drs that treat strep throat, broken arms & metal in eye or a ob/ gyn that does hystetectomies
& delivers babies, they dont specialize in & work only in this endo system
area day in day out, all they do. See?

P.s. i saw my friend that is my sister suffer like you are & if i sound upset about the drs its directed to this not to you, ok? I cant even say how much this endocrinologist meant to her, b/c it changed her life. She doesnt ever have to think about hair ever again. I want that for you.

Last edited by gmak; 11-18-2012 at 11:19 AM. Reason: ps

Old 11-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Dear fear of bears, if you dont have thyroid issues, what did they dermatologist say about the tellogen? Did he say it would get better with time, b/ c maybe it will just take a little more time, it took my friend 9 months to see a change that wasnt sparse, but it is great to see new growth anywhere isnt it? We rejoiced with singing, over every step along the way.lol Of course, you want it as fast as possible. But, your saying you do have new growth? Maybe a little more time. Its not wrong to want to act young and look young when you are young. I know that you think its so ugly, but its really not so noticable to others as it is to yourself. Did you ask the dr if using minoxidil was ok & wouldnt hurt new growth? Because ive even see it @ the dollar store very inexpensive. Do you know if that would help?Please all is not lost, he said it would come back & it will come back! It grew back for your mom.Genes are so complicated, barely understood compared to the amount there is to discover. One lady @ my church had big bunches come out leaving golf ball size alopecia on her head, her mom had it@ same age, it grew back as pretty & thick as ever.

Last edited by gmak; 11-18-2012 at 11:31 AM. Reason: typos

Old 11-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #6
(female)

fearofbears HB User

The dermatologist said it would get better by summer. I guess I just Want to be sure it's a temporary thing. It's making me sick thinking about it and I feel like it is taking a toll on my relationship.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
The dermatologist said it would get better by summer. I guess I just Want to be sure it's a temporary thing. It's making me sick thinking about it and I feel like it is taking a toll on my relationship.
Hi fearofbears, She felt it did on her marriage too. But, he would have paid anything for it to be better. Minoxidil, or rogaine generic is that possible? What does your beautician/ hairdresser say? Bf got a bob & still wore the clip. When hair blowdried it looked thicker. If not my place then please excuse my questions.How is it affecting relationship? Thank you,gmak

Reply Reply