It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 08:24 AM   #1
(female)

Sueq254 HB User
Hair loss - need help PLEASE!

Hello,
I'm a 38 year old female with no genetic history of FPB and over the past year & half I have lost about half my hair. The loss has been diffuse with the majority being on the crown. I had half my thyroid removed almost 2 years ago so I assumed that to be the problem. I have had extensive blood tests, TSH, F-T3, F-T4, reverse T-3, thyroid antibodies and all are in good ranges. I tested negative for Celiac as gluten intolarance can cause problems but all good there. I also have burning sensations in my scalp, sometimes it's very painful. Very little itching though. Sometimes some parts of my scalp are tinged pink and other parts look normal. This comes and goes throughout the day but I notice it most at night. It hurts to have my hair in any type of elastic, no matter how loose I make it. Even hurts to lay on my pillow at night. I did find out that my Ferritin is on the low side (39) and my Vitamin D was below the normal limits. I have been supplimenting with these for 2 months as per my Dr's instructions. I also am on my 2nd bottle of a popular suppliment called Hair Essentials. I also take high potency Omega 3 suppliments as this is supposed to help with inflammation. I use sulphate free shampoos and extra gentle conditioners and pretty much baby my hair through careful styling. I have tried gently massaging in pure coconut oil as it's supposed to be good for hair and scalp but no improvement. Still losing hair, still burning areas on scalp, no visable new growth. I see no evidence of any sores or scabs at all, only a small amount of white scalp flaking at the very front of my hairline and that's it. My scalp is obviously stressed and inflamed but I don't know why. I have a healthy diet (eat meat daily, I don't consume much sugar or refined/processed foods, I don't smoke and my alcohol intake is minor. I have had a lot of stress in my life however, especially over the past year. I try my best to deal with it but perhaps I'm not doing such a good job. I really don't know, I'm just trying to examine all the possibilities. I also don't over-process my hair. I get highlights done about every 4 months. I have an appointment to get them done again next week but I'm thinking that since my scalp is inflamed that maybe that's isn't the best thing to do right now and might make it worse. The hair loss started long before the inflamation did. I think I might try some pure aloe vera on my scalp to see if that soothes the inflamation. I have a Dr. appt next week again as I think it's best I see a Dermatologist so I'm asking my Dr. to send me. Problem is who knows how long the wait will be for that and in the meantime I keep losing hair that I'm not re-growing and am in constant pain. The only diagnosis I can can up with is Chronic Telogen Effluvium with trichodynia (burning scalp syndrome). I don't think it's anything fungal as I think I'd be able to see other things like sores, scabbing or scarring but then again I'm not a Dr and can only go by what I've read. There could also potentially be a problem with malabsorbtion. This is consuming my life, every waking minute I'm thinking about my hair, hard not to when you pass a mirror and see it or it's burning. I'm hoping that someone out there is having the same problem as me with the same symptoms and if they have any advice at all. So desperate!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
(female)

iloveeshoes HB User
Re: Hair loss-need help PLEASE!

The same thing is happening to me and I'm 49. I don't know what it could be. I have been to 2 Dermatologist and either one could determine what the problem was, all they wanted to do was treat the symptoms of the inflammation with steroids, too lazy to even show any interest in finding out what the problem could be. I want to know what is causing the inflammation because that it at the root of my hair loss.

My ferritin was low (30) and I got it up to 145 in a few months, but still no regrowth and still dealing with inflammation. I'm stressed all the way out. I'm also dealing with stress and the hair loss has made it 100x worst. I'm trying to calm down and distract myself from the hair loss because it is wrecking my life. I have been dealing with this problem for 2 years and 6 months and still no resolution. Just recently over the past 6 months, my scalp has been hurting and is very tender to the touch (hence the on-set of inflammation) Today I lost about 90 hairs and I'm freaking out. I see major scalp on my temples and front hairline.

I going to have to go back to a strict diet of non-gmo foods. I wondering if it could be leaky gut syndrome. I have to do more research on that, I can't think of anything else. I have also had my thyroid tested, all within normal range, so I don't know what else could be the issue. Even though my hormones are low because I'm in menopause, I see plenty of women in menopause with a full head of hair.

I also would like to know what is causing the inflammation on my scalp because that is the cause of my continued hair fall and non regrowth.

Reply Reply