It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 11:46 PM   #1
(male)

MrLuck51 HB User
Alopecia Areata

My eight year old daughter has been diagnosed with Alopecia Areata. It started with a small patch of hair missing at the top of her head. Now, she has multiple patches of hair missing all over her head.
Are there any known cures for such a bacteria? It's really painful for me to watch my daughter go through this at such a young age.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:12 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

meljh HB User
Re: Alopecia Areata

Hi,

has your daughter gone for blood test to confirm the cause of Alopecia Areata? If you check the term Alopecia Areata in wikipedia, the cause is unknown, but definitely not because of bacteria/virus. It could be genetic as well.

If it's a bacteria or virus attack on the scalp, it is easier to treat and reversible. I have a 7-yr old pupil who had sever hair loss resulting in baldness on the crown of her head, and she is diagnosed with virus attack. After almost a year, her hair is growing back healthily.

The reason why I asked about blood test is because I'm also suffering sever hair loss over a short period of time, and is still shedding hair seriously everyday. That is why I'm also checking the forum for answers. My dermatologist diagnosed me with alopecia areata (autoimmune problem) and put me on a strong dose of steroids. I stopped taking steroids after 6 days because I felt weakened by the steroids. A blood test revealed that I'm low on iron, so I've just done a more detailed blood test, hoping for answers. I refuse to take autoimmune as an answer, so I'm going for blood tests to find out what's wrong, whether I'm low on iron, vit B12, etc...

Usually hair loss is an indication of poor blood circulation to the hair. Try taking food that is good for hair, which could help with hair regrowth.

Last edited by ms_mod; 01-13-2013 at 08:18 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2013, 07:19 AM   #3
(female)

greeneyez 1966 HB User

my daughter has it also she lost her hair at age 10 shes now 22 and it hasnt grown back she will get patches that will grow but only too fall out again theres no treatment for this and they dont know the cause shes had all the blood tests and everything came back normal its just one of those things that happen .i wish your daughter luck my daughter had such a hard time the kids teased her too the point where we had too home school her its such a aweful thing for a girl my daughter has too wear wigs it took some time for her too get use too them but now shes older and it doesnt bother her shes excepted that its not gonna come back and she deals with it ..good luck too yas both

Last edited by ms_mod; 01-13-2013 at 08:21 AM.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:42 PM   #4
(female)

LilOldLady HB User

It's not a bacteria, it's an immune system disorder. When I had it it was eventually cleared up with steroid shots to the scalp.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:24 AM   #5
(female)

Wanda88 HB User

Did your hair texture change? My hair was straight and shiny and now its's very dry and brittle, sticking out and breaking off. I had a thyroidectomy in 2011 and I'm thinking it's because of this, but none of the doctors know what to do for me. I'm devastated.

Reply Reply