It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2003, 06:50 AM   #1

dreamweaver04101 HB User
Post hair loss/ sore scalp

Help..My hair started to fall out quite rapidly over the last two years. I have also had a very sore scalp and lately it has really started to itch a lot. I have seen Drs. over this period of time and was told it's just an age thing. I'm 42. I brought in samples of my hair in hopes that a test could be done to see if there was a fungus or other infection going on but was told that was highly unlikely to be the problem, and so the test wasn't done. There is no history of hair loss in my family back to my grandparents, after that I don't know. Please let me know if anyone else has experienced this problem and what you did to fix it.

Old 03-22-2003, 09:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User
I have also had hairloss in the last couple of months with sore scalp. Did you have blood tests for anemia or thyroid done? My problem was anemia. It's funny but I was being told it was from various things but no one bothered to check my blood. I am now getting treatment and hopefully this will stop the fall-out. Even if you are border-line anemic it can cause hair-loss.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2003, 07:44 AM   #3

dreamweaver04101 HB User
Hi Dorri, Yes I did have tests done for both. I have been the route of vitamins, fish oil, too many doctors to count. For me this has been an on going thing with not much hope of it improving (two years). There are numerous things to try and help the situation like shampooing less frequently, light non weight conditioners, healthy diet, trying to avoid stressful situations, exercise, and a lot of prayer. (lol). Now I am considering some of the old fashioned remedies like rubbing red pepper on my scalp to improve circulation, or standing on my head for a few minutes a day to allow more of the blood to the area. I'm at the point where I would try just about anything for some relief from this problem. Does your scalp hurt in any particular area or all over? Mine is all over.

Old 03-27-2003, 05:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User
Hi, your problem could be hormone imbalance. The problem with that is your body has a mind of it's own, so your hormones flucuate day to day. Sometimes when estrogen levels drop, they no longer oppose the androgens (male hormone) causing them to surge which may create loss of hair on your head and creating it elsewhere. I should ask you, do you have more facial hair lately? If you do, this may be a sign of imbalance between estrogen and androgen. I've read that Saw palmetto counter-acts this androgen, but it takes 3 to 6 months before you will notice the benefits. As for putting red pepper on your head, I believe it's called capsium when combined with alcohol, I tried it and can't stand the smell of the stuff so I gave up on it. ( I continuously reeked) I know how you feel and how frustrating it is to be losing hair. Are you under more stress lately, been ill in the last 3 months or so (sometimes you can lose hair if you were really ill, what happens is the body shuts down all nourishment to the hair folicule, because the nourishment is needed to heal elsewhere and volaa, you get a delayed reaction of hairfall-out occurring 2-3 months later. The same can happen after surgery.
The one thing you shouldn't do, I recently read is to massage your head if you are prone to fall-out. Something about breaking the minute hairs before they have a chance to grow out. I am out to lunch on this one, as I was always taught to grow hair, you need to stimulate circulation in the scalp. Good luck to you and please let me know how you are doing in stopping the fall-out. P.S how much fish oils were you taking?

Old 04-06-2003, 04:12 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
A similar matter was mentioned else where on these boards. I've been worried about more hair moulting than i think is normal, but my husband just says it naturally happens once you are over 30!!!! Well i don't think it's normal and i have regular blood tests to keep a check on my health and all is normal. I eat healthy, dont smoke, have the odd drink and have recently began taking a multi vitamin and omega 3, just incase it helps. I do have very long and fine hair so at first i thought maybe it only looks like a lot was falling out due to the length of the strands, but each time i'd wash it a lot would come out and then again when i'd comb it and then throughout the day.

I read somewhere on these message boards and on the net that most shampoos contain Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and/or Laureth Sulfate and it "may" cause loss of hair. I recently purchased a shampoo called Avalon, Organic Botanicals and it specifically states that it doesn't contain the Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate. I have been using it for a week and i normally lose more than normal whether i wash my hair or not. I got so excited yesterday when i woke up and combed my hair and hardly any came out and throughout the entire day i'd keep cheking for loose strands and maybe five hairs came out in the entire day. Fingers crossed its the shampoo working. Now i'm wondering what the hell this Sulfate is and what it does. Obviously it doesnt affect everybody, maybe i'm just sensitive to it.

Old 04-06-2003, 06:47 AM   #6

dreamweaver04101 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Audrey-B:
A similar matter was mentioned else where on these boards. I've been worried about more hair moulting than i think is normal, but my husband just says it naturally happens once you are over 30!!!! Well i don't think it's normal and i have regular blood tests to keep a check on my health and all is normal. I eat healthy, dont smoke, have the odd drink and have recently began taking a multi vitamin and omega 3, just incase it helps. I do have very long and fine hair so at first i thought maybe it only looks like a lot was falling out due to the length of the strands, but each time i'd wash it a lot would come out and then again when i'd comb it and then throughout the day.

I read somewhere on these message boards and on the net that most shampoos contain Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and/or Laureth Sulfate and it "may" cause loss of hair. I recently purchased a shampoo called Avalon, Organic Botanicals and it specifically states that it doesn't contain the Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate. I have been using it for a week and i normally lose more than normal whether i wash my hair or not. I got so excited yesterday when i woke up and combed my hair and hardly any came out and throughout the entire day i'd keep cheking for loose strands and maybe five hairs came out in the entire day. Fingers crossed its the shampoo working. Now i'm wondering what the hell this Sulfate is and what it does. Obviously it doesnt affect everybody, maybe i'm just sensitive to it.

Old 04-06-2003, 06:52 AM   #7

dreamweaver04101 HB User
sorry bout the last entry, i hit quote on the wrong one.
I have tried many shampoos and conditioners and it never occured to me that it might be Sodium Sulfate. I will try your shampoo out if I can find it in the stores around here. My husband also says it is probely age related, I told him thats impossible because I don't plan on getting any older I'm happy where I am....LOLOLOL

Old 04-07-2003, 04:36 AM   #8

ronaldo1 HB User
Dorri,

what sort of treatment are you getting for your hair loss/sore scalp? I have had hair loss for one year now and I also have pain in the right side of my scalp (like a burning sensation). I have low iron levels but have been told that I am not anaemic. I have been taking an iron supplement however it has not made any difference to either hair loss or scalp pain. How long before I can expect to notice a difference?

Old 05-01-2003, 06:49 PM   #9
(female)

momoftwo1128 HB User
where do you buy this avalon shampoo? and what type do you get. my hair is very brittle and seems to just break out of my scalp. i am quite bald and its getting quite embarrassing. i will try anything but am trying to avoid the wig bit, would much rather get it to grow back. i could always go like sinead o'connor only she had stubble and i am getting down to skin.

Old 05-02-2003, 06:25 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
I think the company who manufactures the shampoo i mentioned is called Avalon, as the label on the bottle says Avalon and then Organic Botanicals, then they have various types eg: lavender, rosemary etc etc.

I came across it by accident at a pharmaceutical warehouse type store here in Australia. It is an American product so i would think that it would be readily available in the States. Do a search on the net under the company and product name (i dont think we're allowed to give web sites out on here).

I'm not certain if my hair related problem is the same as what others may have, but i have noticed a difference. I have always had new hair growth growing through, but using the standard shampoos i'd notice a lot of "baby hair" loss after washing and drying. Nowadays the hairs i lose tend to be the older ones and don't lose as many. I realise it will take a while to probably get my hair back to what it was or close to what it was, but it's a big relief to not be losing as much.

I bought a bottle of it for my mother and she loves it due to it softening her hair. She has very thick hair and the standard shampoos tend to leave it feeling too dry and unmanageable. My husband uses it too, even in his beard. He has fairly sensitive skin and no long gets any redness along his forehead and no dandruff either.

I truly think the standard shampoos are too strong chemically for some of us. There is probably nothing special about this Organic Botanicals shampoo except that it is very likely a lot gentler and less detergenty. It could be due to the Sulfate as most shampoos contain Laurel, Sodium or Ammonium Sulfate.

My mother was born in Europe and always told me how they used to make their own shampoos out of charcoal, but it could only be charcoal which came from burning certain types of wood. She said you wouldnt believe how clean, yet shiny and alive your hair would be.

While on the this subject....is it just my imagination or do so many males tend to lose hair at a very young age these days?

Old 05-06-2003, 05:48 AM   #11
Inactive

jade20012 HB User
if its hurting then u got a problem go see another doctor but dont say anything about ur other doctor let him diaginose ur problem if u tell him about what ur usual doctor said he,ll say the same they all stick together and some of them should,nt even be doctors so check it out with another doctor the other thing u could do is see ur hairdresser see what they say or recommend

Old 05-14-2003, 06:51 PM   #12

Lesvagirl HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by dreamweaver04101:
Help..My hair started to fall out quite rapidly over the last two years. I have also had a very sore scalp and lately it has really started to itch a lot. I have seen Drs. over this period of time and was told it's just an age thing. I'm 42. I brought in samples of my hair in hopes that a test could be done to see if there was a fungus or other infection going on but was told that was highly unlikely to be the problem, and so the test wasn't done. There is no history of hair loss in my family back to my grandparents, after that I don't know. Please let me know if anyone else has experienced this problem and what you did to fix it.

Old 05-14-2003, 07:00 PM   #13

Lesvagirl HB User
Exclamation

Hi i was reading your post on hair loss and a sore scalp. Are you taking an antidepressant or benzo? Hair loss with a sore scalp is a symptom of both.You will have a very hard time finding a doctor that will put two and two together concerning this which sucks but is true.

My scalp started to hurt me like crazy one day and my hair started to fall out everytime I washed it to the point of severe hair loss. For two months I went to doctor after doctor and none could find the cause. Finally I went to Google and put in a search for Kolonopin and hair loss. I found tons of info and people going thru the same thing.

Do not stop taking either drug if you are taking them!!! You have to taper very very slowly so that your body can adjust.

I hope this helps
Les

Old 05-15-2003, 01:17 PM   #14

FleasAndLice HB User
Ive never been to this site before but i thought it might be good to get some help.you people think your to young to be lossing hair well im only 14!!! and im already losing my hair i need help!!im ebarassed to go to school my hair is falling out everyday when i take a shower i see hair all over my hand i get so ******! i already knew my hair was thin but its never been this thin ever! each hair is so thin maybe as thin as this little slash---i can pluck them out so easily. i mean i know im not bald yet but theres a small spot on the right of my forhead thats visible and i think its going to get bigger so someone please help!!!

------------------

Closed Thread