HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Hair Loss / Alopecia (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/hair-loss-alopecia/)
-   -   Why is my hair so thin? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/hair-loss-alopecia/941017-why-my-hair-so-thin.html)

natneedsadvice 03-01-2013 11:30 AM

Why is my hair so thin?

Recently, I've been noticing how extremely thin my hair is. Im only 26 and I dont want to end up bald when Im 30. Its not socially acceptable for a woman to be bald, and I dont think I can pull off the sinead o'connor look. I've always had fine hair but at least it there was enough of it so I didnt feel completely uncomfortable in public. Now I can barely style it. I cant seem to cover my scalp, especially when its wet. I try not washing it everyday but it just gets so oily because there's so little hair to absorb it. I dont know if its my diet because I eat fairly well. And I know people who eat terribly and have a full luscious head of hair. I dont notice it falling out all over the place, it just doesnt seem to be replenishing itself. My scalp is also extremely sensitive. I just dont know what to do. Im at my wits end. Ive studied how to style thin hair but these chics all have twice as much hair as I do. It makes me feel worse about my situation. I've developed serious self esteem issues because of this in the past few months. Im waiting for a dermatologist appointment but does anyone have any advice in the mean time?

MargB 03-04-2013 11:05 AM

Re: Why is my hair so thin?

Have you had your thyroid, iron or Vitamin D levels checked recently? It could be due to a deficiency of some kind. Have you been under any sort of stress as of late? Any new medication that you've started taking?

You could start taking some Bioton and Beta Carotene. If you've got oily hair, you might want to try a different shampoo...one that has zinc or Seabuckthorn in it.

I've noticed that my hair has really thinned out over the last month and will be getting my thyroid levels checked (I suffer from Hypothyroidism). I also started taking a new medication for depression that might be the culprit. But...while I wait to get the blood tests done, I'm taking Biotin and have just ordered some shampoo with Seabuckthorn in it to help with my scalp (I too have oily hair and I sometimes get scabs on my scalp that might be as a result of oil buildup).

STLouisgal 03-06-2013 07:01 AM

Have you had your thyroid checked? If you have a family history of thyroid disease, you're at higher risk for having it yourself. Do you have menstrual irregularities such as missed periods? Something called Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) is associated with symptoms such as scalp hair loss, excess body hair, tendency to be overweight or gain weight easily, cysts on ovaries. Of course, it may be something totally different but just throwing out some thoughts as to what it may be. I know how hard it can be to lose a lot of hair. I lost a lot after a hysterectomy.

ladybud 03-06-2013 08:23 AM

Some physiologic things that can cause overall hair thinning: anemia or low iron stores, thyroid problems, B vitamin deficiences, lupus. I would see Dr and ask to get cbc for anemia, ferritin for iron stores, Vit B12 and folate levels, thyroid profile and an ANA if you have any other symtpoms of possible lupus. Taking a B complex vitamin, correcting any deficiencies or hormonal problems may get some hair growth going. I take Biotin supplement, a B vitamin, which seems to help me. Trace mineral supplements may help also. My hair is doing the same from lupus and med side effects. It is very frustrating. I have found using a megagel for styling helps it look fuller.

natneedsadvice 03-06-2013 08:49 AM

Thank you ladies. I have considered vitimin deficiencies and a thyroid problem to be the cause. I have a dermatologist appointment in 2 wks and for sure i will get that checked out. I have never considered my ovaries though and ive always had irregular periods, sometimes Ill go 3 months without getting it. So I will definitely get that checked out too. Im feeling a bit more positive that the problem can be dealt with. Thank you again