It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2003, 05:34 PM   #1

superfly2658 HB User
Talking Hair loss on lower legs

I have lost nearly all my hair on my legs from the top of my shins to my ankles. Somebody told me it was from wearing socks all the time. How can that be? I see all these products that make hair grow back on the scalp but is there anything to make hair grow back on legs?

Old 03-01-2003, 01:34 PM   #2
(male)

couldbeworsaspose HB User
Talking

Hi,
It's quite possible it is your socks or trousers rubbing your legs.I have an underactive thyroid,and not only is my hair thinning on my head, but also my hair has gradually got thinner on my upper legs.But the lower leg's calfs and shins have just about lost all hair.I'm not saying you have an underactive thyroid; It's just that I noticed your post,and I have not seen many people outside of the thyroid board mention this.
take care
Garry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2003, 06:16 PM   #3

mrclyde HB User
I have the exact same problem.
I won't wear shorts in the summer, and I won't go swimming at public beaches or at pools with people other than my gf and parents.

Have you ever gotten more information on this??
Please contact me at clyde@rogers.com

Old 05-13-2003, 01:17 PM   #4
Veteran

RageOfAngels HB User
I am starting to see this problem too. I am not at all convinced it is from wearing socks or trouser-rub, as it just started happening and I am 40 years old. Anyone else know what causes this?

Old 05-13-2003, 03:26 PM   #5

mrclyde HB User
I wish I did.
I am thinking of calling a hair replacement doctor and see what can be done. I'm only 28...but I've had this for many years. It's made me so self-conscious.

Old 05-16-2003, 10:28 AM   #6

romantico HB User
I'm 34 & have the same problem! I actually tried evening primrose & this seemed to help a little.I even tried asking a hair transplant doctor & he said it could be doen,but there would be little holes all over your legs(he said my legs would like a golf ball)I have tried Minoxodyl(Rogaine)& all this did was dry my skin out(The Doctor said there is no proof Minox will grow back leg hair)I'm thinking about just waxing it(although my girl friend LOVES hairy legs on men)Try this site.Go to the message board (Open Topic) & ask more detailed questions if you like.There might be someone there who can help.
[url="http://www.hairlosshelp.com"]http://www.hairlosshelp.com[/url]

Old 05-16-2003, 09:53 PM   #7

Mary49 HB User
I am 49 and for the last 20 years I have not had hair on my legs. I wear long pants most of the time. I think the hair no longer grows in because of the rubbing all the time.

Old 06-27-2003, 04:01 PM   #8

RodrigosVictoria HB User
HI!
Don't know if anyone is still reading this post or not, but my father lost the hair on his legs quite a long time ago. He has recently been diagnosed with Diabetes. He also had extremely cold feet/pore circulation. I have cold feet most of the time, but not signs of diabetes yet. The combination of the hair loss and the cold feet, however, is a strong sign of poor circulation to the lower appendages. It might be worth getting a blood sugar level test, just to be sure.

Old 09-05-2003, 10:59 AM   #9

lwe HB User
Possible causes of hair loss on legs include:

1. low adrenal function (ask your doctor for a cosyntropin stimulation test, and to check DHEA-S)

2. peripheral vascular disease (PVD)

3. hemochromatosis (check ferritin, transferrin, TIBC, transferrin saturation)

Closed Thread