It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2003, 07:31 AM   #1
(female)

gf HB User
Question What's normal amount of hair loss?

Help! What's the normal amount of daily hair loss? It seems that I'm losing way too much hair when shampooing and/or brushing my hair. It is really worrying me. When I run my hand through my hair in the shower, somtimes there will be is a hand full. Is this normal? I'm 32 years old. What can I do about this? Are there certain vitamins to take or shampoos to use?

Old 09-20-2003, 09:30 PM   #2
(female)

Naomi101 HB User
I have a license in cosmetology (got it in '86 I think) but never went into hair care, so the only question I can answer is about 100 hairs per day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2003, 09:41 PM   #3
(female)

Naomi101 HB User
Oh, and jojoba oil is supposed to help loosen the waxy plugs that keep the follicles from getting enough air.

Old 09-21-2003, 05:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
I also have heard that losing 100 hairs per day is normal, but would love to know who came up with that magic number!! Personally 100 hairs a day is ok if you have a thick head of hair, but if you already have a thin head of hair then in my books you are in trouble. My hair was average thickness and i began moulting what i thought was an abnormal amount of hair and over a two year period i noticed that my hair was so much thinner. I don't have any medical condition nor am i on any medication. I changed my shampoo to one which doesnt contain laural/laureth sulphates and noticed a BIG difference. I put it down to my scalp possibly being allergic to some of the chemicals in your average shampoos.

If you do a search on this health board for hair loss you should find loads of references to it as it seems to crop up on a regular basis and a lot of people have contributed with a good amount of interesting info.

Old 09-22-2003, 06:07 AM   #5
(female)

gf HB User
Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try that shampoo that doesn't have laurel/laureth. Audrey-B, where can I get it?

Old 09-22-2003, 02:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
I'm in Australia and discovered it in a Pharmaceutical wharehouse type store by accident and now i see it in some health food stores and the particular one i have is sold over the net also. There are a few varieties out there now, but the one i found first and have been using is called Organic Botanicals and the company name is Avalon. I'm sure if you do a search on the net under Organic Botanicals you will find the relevant site and some info on it. It's an American product so i'd say it would surely be distributed widely in the states. Give it a go, but also get checked out medically to rule out any medical conditions.

Old 09-24-2003, 02:40 AM   #7

cs67 HB User
As cliched as it sounds, I had bad hair loss due to stress. I was going through some bad times and my hair reacted. (Like I needed that, on top of everything else...) I used to clog the drain in the shower, it was so bad. So, could stress be causing it? Also, hormonal changes are big culprits. As far as I know, unless it's an allergy, schampoo doesn't cause hair loss. Plus, it's always a good idea to ask a doctor.

Old 09-24-2003, 10:24 AM   #8

radarlitz HB User
I've also read in many places about a loss of 100 hairs a day is a normal average .... but, humans go through shedding cycles too, where shedding of 2x or 3x will be "normal". I don't remember for sure, but I think the cycles are around every 3 months.

Old 09-24-2003, 09:39 PM   #9
Veteran

strand3d HB User
I lose quite a lot of hair everyday, but i think it's pretty normal. I have thick medium lengthed hair and i haven't noticed it thinning or anythign, but i lose a lot of hair when i shower. When i clean my hair out of the shower i can roll all my hair into a ball about the size of a quarter. Then i lose even more thair when i'm blow drying my hair after the shower. I think it's pretty normal. I probably lose a lot more than 100 hairs, but we're all different.

Old 09-26-2003, 09:15 AM   #10

mandmnov11 HB User
Talking

My Thyroid was removed. Check to see if you have a Thyroid problem. This will diffinately cause a great amount of hair loss and thinning hair. So-o-o-o-o sad but this is the truth. Even Synthroid medication harmone replacement after surgery will not give you back your hair that is lost. If some body out there does know any magic potions to replenish thinning hair please speak up, alot of us would love to have our locks back.

------------------
Marilyn Boles

Closed Thread