It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Loss / Alopecia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
(male)

UName HB User
Angry Hairloss at 17... Help

I have divided the post into three different sections for easy reading... please read through.

Symptoms:

Hairloss… well duh
My pillow has some, but is not covered with loads of fallen hair;
Brushing a hand through my hair usually leaves a strand or two, going up to 3-4 on a bad day;
My scalp gets oily about three days after washing, and dandruff is a constant annoyance - NOTE, I don't have lots of dandruff, just enough to itch and make my hair fall; Singular strands are thinner than others;
There is no hairloss on any other part of my body;
The pattern is similar to [(Google Images: 'male pattern baldness explained'), first pic, the guy pointing at his head]
although my hair is longer and thicker, the pattern is almost (if not entirely) identical.

History:

I noticed about a year ago... The first thing I saw was my hair being thinner at what would be the very top of the parietal bridge. Then I noticed that brushing a hand through it would leave fallen strands on my palm more often than not - sometimes going up to 5 strands per pass.
As my hair used to be pretty thick, and I have plenty of body and facial hair I dismissed the idea of balding, thinking my hair was simply in its telogen phase - believing I had avoided the bald genes.
Unfortunately though, it seems I was wrong
As time passed by, the hairloss had lost intensity, and while my hair was thinner than before, I believed the process had stopped.... It hadn't.
It reoccurred this winter, when dandruff invaded my scalp (which I don't think I had before). Maybe it was the dry air, unstable temperature, genes, nutrition... I don't know, but along the annoying itching came the ever-frightening hairloss.
Having changed multiple shampoos with no results, I eventually came across an expensive 'Head&Shoulders Anti-Dandruff Hairfall Defense' bottle with a neatly printed due to breakage (in what appears to be the world's smallest font) on the side.
While the hairs simply fall off rather than break, my scalp (though itchy) stopped dropping off as many strands as before.
And then, after a month or so... BOOYAH!!! Hairloss again!
So here I am now, using the same ‘Hairfall Defense’ shampoo, staggering with hairfall along the way.

About:

I am looking for a way to slow down, if not entirely stop the process. As I am only 17, and my body's still developing, I wouldn't like to use any hairloss prevention drugs with nasty side effects.
I'm looking for a natural way to at least slow it down (because being bald at 25 isn't the same as having no hair in your teens).
Also... how do I stop the dandruff?
I would use cosmetics if they were available where I live, but given the scarcity and prize of most products, I'd rather stick to natural remedies.
So... nutrition, lifestyle, special hygiene... I'd accept it.

Please reply, and thank you in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Hairloss at 17... Help

You might try taking a B complex vitamin every day and extra Biotin. It seems to help maintain hair. If your hair loss seems diffuse (all over head) you might get your thyroid and ferritin (stored iron) levels done to see if you are anemic or have thyroid issues.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #3
(male)

UName HB User

Okay, thanks. But what about overall nutrition and shampoo? Do I stick with the same Anti Dandruff product (which doesn't seem to be doing a very god job, as my hair starts itching soon after washing)?
Will switching to another shampoo further irritate my scalp, or will it be okay to start using normal shampoo again?
Also, do you mean biotin supplements or just food rich in biotin?
btw, will getting a haircut benefit my hair, as the strands wouldn't have to deal with extra weight (my hair is rather long-ish)? Speaking of... Does short hair conceal or amplify the bald spots?
Thanks

Old 07-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

You might try just a gentle baby shampoo. Dandruff shampoos often contain salicylates, like aspirin, and some people are allergic or sensitive to salicylates, so their shampoo actually makes it worse. If your scalp is dry, shampoo every 2-3 days. Biotin supplements are easiest to take, available OTC. If this is male pattern baldness, you probably won't be able to stop it. Rogaine for men topical solution may help keep what you have but it only works as long as you are using it. A generic is ok. I don't think length would matter too much unless hair is really long and you pull it back in a ponytail. I would not do that. You can do a test for sensitivity by putting a small dab of shampoo on inside of forearm and leave it. If it gets red or itchy, you are sensitive to it and should change.

Last edited by ladybud; 07-28-2013 at 02:37 PM. Reason: added

Old 07-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #5
(female)

Lindyrosette HB User

My son experienced hair loss through radiation and he uses Alpecin shampoo for thinning hair! It helped alot!

Old 07-29-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
(male)

UName HB User

Quote:
you might get your thyroid and ferritin (stored iron) levels done to see if you are anemic or have thyroid issues.
I've always been borderline anemic, but I doubt it's that - as it's been a constant condition.
Quote:
If this is male pattern baldness, you probably won't be able to stop it.
I am just trying to slow it down, at least ‘til I'm out of college, I know you can't fight genes. Still though, the balding pattern seems to be different than that of my father and grandfather - As they'd started losing hair from the very top of the head, while my pattern starts from the flanks. I am also way too young for it (unless baldness happens earlier with each generation). Also, doesn't the thickness of my <insert manly, Viking adjective here> facial and body hair mean I have good hair?
Quote:
Rogaine for men topical solution may help keep what you have but it only works as long as you are using it
I sure hope they have that where I live. And what do you mean while I’m using it – why would I stop?
Speaking of… I haven’t used any shampoo this week. I’ve been washing my hair with water every two days – and the dandruff and itching are gone. Oily, yes. But I believe I have stopped the hairfall to a solid extent
Now I am skeptical about using shampoo at all – which I know I have to.
Quote:
he uses Alpecin shampoo for thinning hair! It helped alot!
Thanks for replying. I hope your son is ok. Is it something like a baldness-prevention remedy, or just a shampoo – I’m asking so I know whether to go to a store or a pharmacy.
Thanks

Reply Reply