It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2003, 09:40 PM   #1

OkieGal74 HB User
8 year old daughter very dry brittle hair will not grow

my daughter has always had very dry brittle hair that won't grow
she is 8 now and her hair barely touches her shoulders
i would love to try anything for her to have long silky hair
her doctor recommended a multi vitamin that has iron in it so she chews a vitamin every morning before school.
i have bought expensive hair products especially for dry course hair
i have looked at hair vitamins but nothing for children
please help
she eats very well and loves fruit so she doesn't snack on junk very often

Old 12-03-2003, 05:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: 8 year old daughter very dry brittle hair will not grow

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieGal74
my daughter has always had very dry brittle hair that won't grow
she is 8 now and her hair barely touches her shoulders
i would love to try anything for her to have long silky hair
her doctor recommended a multi vitamin that has iron in it so she chews a vitamin every morning before school.
i have bought expensive hair products especially for dry course hair
i have looked at hair vitamins but nothing for children
please help
she eats very well and loves fruit so she doesn't snack on junk very often

If she is iron deficient, nothing will grow very well. I was severly iron deficient (pernicious anemia) when I was 10 years old. Because of it, I am much shorter than my sisters and weigh much less. It took me a year of iron therapy and B-12 shots to finally have blood the right color and the correct chemical structure. My hair was dull and lifeless even though it was thick. B Complex vitamins are very good for the hair. They 'feed' the hair folicle with what it needs to produce a good healthy hair: Biotin.

You didn't say if her hair was thin and fine in texture and density, but I am assuming it is. If so, this type of hair is not very strong and does not grow to the lengths you may desire for her - it will break off before it gets very long due to its inner structure. Use a shampoo for fine hair as it contains the nutrients to help prevent breakage. Also, you might try using an 'instant' conditioner such as Infusium 23 which is a leave-in conditioner. It will help to eliminate tangles and leave her hair feeling silky. To add shine, you can use one of the shine enhancers on the market today. Redken has a good one, so does Biolage.

At 8 years old, her hair has not fully developed to its strongest stage, so give it a little more time. You might also want to keep it cut in a 'one-length' style such as a Bob cut. If the hair is more all one length instead of in layers, it will appear thicker.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread