It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2004, 08:53 AM   #1

masumichi1996 HB User
Unhappy Messed up hair coloring, what to do???

I just colored my hair last night, and it turned out awful. It was fine until I put in the highlights. It is now way too red-orange, nothing like what it showed on the box. And right in the center of the back of my head there is this huge highlight, which I know I didn't do, but I think it turned out that way because my hair is kinda dry there and was originally a little lighter than the rest of my hair. So now it looks really awful. I want to re-dye my hair a darker color, but I know that they say to wait a few weeks before doing so. If I'd do it in the next day or two, how bad will my hair be damaged? And will the highlights be pretty much covered up? Any suggestions on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-08-2004, 10:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Messed up hair coloring, what to do???

Quote:
Originally Posted by masumichi1996
I just colored my hair last night, and it turned out awful. It was fine until I put in the highlights. It is now way too red-orange, nothing like what it showed on the box. And right in the center of the back of my head there is this huge highlight, which I know I didn't do, but I think it turned out that way because my hair is kinda dry there and was originally a little lighter than the rest of my hair. So now it looks really awful. I want to re-dye my hair a darker color, but I know that they say to wait a few weeks before doing so. If I'd do it in the next day or two, how bad will my hair be damaged? And will the highlights be pretty much covered up? Any suggestions on what to do would be greatly appreciated.
Calm down, take a deep breath - then go to your local Beauty Supply. Purchase a bottle of 10 volume peroxide - preferably the 'cream' type and not the 'watery' type. The brand of haircolor is not as important as the 'shade' you choose. If you choose one that says 'warm' in the description, it will contain more red tones. If you choose one that says 'natural' in the description, it contain almost equal amounts of red, orange, green and violet. If you choose one that says 'neutral' in the description, the pigments in the color will not leave you with any unwanted color casts. A 'neutral' color will help to alleviate the unwanted red tones but leave you with some nice highlights, even though they will be darker and less noticeable than they are now. In other words, they will blend with the new tone rather than ending up with monotone hair.

The 10 volume peroxide will allow the new color to be deposited into the hair. If you choose a 20 volume peroxide (or use the one that comes with the color in the box) it will lighten the hair before it deposits the new color. This will allow the color to lighten/fade after each shampooing MUCH faster than using the 10 volume peroxide.

The Following User Says Thank You to Marti For This Useful Post:
rlnmummau (07-22-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2004, 10:01 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

novembre HB User

You may also just want to have a professional hair stylist do it, especially if you're not very experienced with coloring your hair.

Old 01-09-2004, 07:48 AM   #4
Inactive

KimRick HB User
Red face Re: Messed up hair coloring, what to do???

I was in a similiar situation a few years ago. I have blonde hair and pale skin & for some strange reason, I wanted to dye it like a soft brown w/red highlights . I went to the drug store and got a box o' chemicals, took it home and proceeded forward. When I was done, my hair was DARK PURPLE, almost black, with bright red highlights! I looked like I just crawled out of a 6 foot grave!

I lived with it for about a few months & then went to a local beauty supply store and begged one of the employees to help me. She had NO CLUE on what to even say to me, so I finally broke down and went to the hair salon to have them fix it. I actually got pretty p.o.'d because the employees where laughing at me, but it got much worse when the woman had to strip my hair - TWICE!!! After 6 hours & 2 strippings later, I was left with BRIGHT, BOZO THE CLOWN, ORANGE hair!!! Then to compensate for that, she tried to highlight it blonde, which looked like I was struck by lightening and left with white streaks on my hair ! After that she wanted to try something else, but I stopped her because it felt like my scalp was on fire, my eyes were burning like hell, I was afraid that my hair was going to fall out and I told her that if she wasn't planning on shaving my head, to back off!!!!!!!!!!

Eventually, I left it the way it was, conditioned the crap out of it, never used a blow dryer and scarecly highlighted back to the way it was. My daughter, on the other hand, thought it was cool because now I had hair to match hers (she'a a natural orange/red head)!

My advice to anyone that wants to change their hair color: stay as close to your natural color as possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The aggravation just isn't worth it!

Last edited by KimRick; 01-09-2004 at 07:53 AM.

Old 01-09-2004, 09:45 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

This is why I gave her 'exacting' instructions on how to fix her hair. Sometimes, the hairdressers either don't have a clue, don't care, or they're in such a hurry they don't pay attention.

If she follows the instructions I posted for her, she will end up with the color she desires without any 'off-cast'. I was one of many 'tops in the field' of hairdressing and nails for much of my 35 years in the industry.

Sorry that there are so many of you who have had problems with hiar color - it really isn't that hard. If you want to counter-act red, you use an 'ash' based color. If you want 'neutral' tones (no red or no ash) then choose a 'neutral' color. Color is classified as Warm, Cool or Ash. Warm has red tones, Cool is neutral, and ash is green (neither warm or cool). If one were to stick with the 'cool' shades, one wouldn't experience off-cast color.

Old 02-04-2004, 05:01 PM   #6

ash_elizabeth HB User

You know I had this same problem in the summer. I had very light hair at the time, a few shades of blonde, and when I wanted to go back to my natural colour, a medium brown, it went BLACK!!! I've dyed my hair black before so I was panicked knowing how long it would take to get out. My mom's friend was previously a hair dresser, and she got me this system called "elimin 8" it's very gentle, and strips the colour out of your hair, You may have to dye it depending on the colour after stripping is completed, if you ask a hair dresser or beauty supply employee for a gentle colour, it should be fine. I went to the hair dresser about a week after and she told me I had very healthy hair, when I told her what I done to it, she was surprised. I highly recommend.

Last edited by ash_elizabeth; 02-04-2004 at 05:02 PM.

Closed Thread