It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hair Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2004, 12:37 PM   #1
(female)

LMD HB User
Unhappy Help-overprocessed hair, what can I do?

I went to the hair salon on Saturday to have a trim and to lighten my hair a shade or two. The hairdresser used some stuff to loft out the color and kept it on for a very long time. I kept asking if the process was going to do any damage to my hair and they kept saying no. My hair was in and out of hair dryers between taking out the old color and putting in the new color. When I left my hair looked great. It was silky and shiny. The next day it looked like hay and it has since then. I have left in 30 minute conditioners, etc and nothing is helping. I called the salon this morning and they told me to come in for a deep conditioning treatment at no charge. I have read on the internet that over processed hair is dead and no conditioner will change the quality of the hair. I paid two hundred dollars for the cut and the color. What can I do, my hair looks awful and my hair has always been beautiful and healthy. I have always got compliments on it. I didn't even go to work Monday and Tuesday because I was trying to remedy the situation. Does anyone know what I can do and if there is anything I can do to bring my hair back. Also, should I ask for some of my money back? They ruined my hair. I want my hair back to normal more than the money, but I paid a lot of money not to look like this. This is outrageous. I can't figure out why my hair looked okay when I left there on Saturday, but changed for the worse once I shampooed it. Does anyone have any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am so depressed!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2004, 01:52 PM   #2
Veteran

Falynsmommy HB User
Re: Help-overprocessed hair, what can I do?

It sounds like you got a very bad deal at a very high price. I'm a hairdresser myself, and first of all wanted to tell you that all hair is dead, that is why vitamins will do nothing to make your hair grow. Secondly, if you say you've tried conditioners and all that with no success, I would definitely call the salon and tell them you are extremely unhappy. If I were you, I would get my money back. Then I would tell them I wanted it fixed as best as they could. Not necessarily more color, but there are other things they can try. Since I don't know the exact state of your hair, I can't really offer much, but I do know that in cases of extremely damaged hair or extremely over-processed hair, there sometimes isn't too much you can do except wait for it to grow out. Is there breakage? That could be a reason why it is doing what it's doing. And if bleach was used and left on too long, it could definitely have caused hair breakage. Also ask them what they used that day to make it look and feel so good when you left the salon. There are alot of products out there that can make damaged hair look and feel a little better. Good luck and hope this helps at least a little. I know how you feel though. When I was in cosmetology school, one of the students highlighted my hair and turned it gray and straw-like. I was 23 years old with grayish/green hair. I was told by our teacher there was nothing to do because if more color/bleach was used it would have just damaged it further. Again, good luck and keep us posted.

Old 04-14-2004, 03:37 PM   #3
Veteran

Aunt-Bon HB User

I am a hairdresser too and I agree with everything Falynsmom said. If they won't give you any money back they should atleast give you some products for free, like the ones they used on your hair the day they did it. Keep us posted and let us know what they did.

Siobhan

Old 04-15-2004, 05:25 AM   #4
(female)

LMD HB User

Thank you both for your response. I am going tomorrow afternoon for the conditioning treatment. My hair seems burnt. Do you think that I should have some of it cut off, if the conditioning treatment doesn't put my hair back in pristine condition, in which it was, before this whole fiasco. I put my trust in them. As a matter of fact, I had asked both the owner and my hairdresser at least three times if my hair was going to be damaged from all the processes that were being done and every time, I got an emphatic no. Do you really think any amount of conditioning is going to bring my hair back. Oh, by the way, when she started styling my hair, she told me that my hair was in shock. I have naturally curly/ wavy hair and she said it wouldn't curl because it was in shock. What do you make of that. I have never heard of that before, but my hair is still straight besides being burnt five days later. She said the curl would come back after my hair is no longer in shock. I would appreciate any comments and thoughts on all of this so I have alittle more ammunition for tomorrow. I will keep you informed. Thanks

Old 04-15-2004, 01:11 PM   #5
Veteran

Falynsmommy HB User

I have never heard of hair being in shock. It sounds to me like she messed up and is trying to cover her butt. As for getting some of your hair cut, it really just depends on how much of your hair is burnt, or damaged. If it goes to the root, cutting isn't really going to help much. If I were you, when you go in tomorrow, I would tell them, both the stylist and the owner, BEFORE you get the conditioning treatment done, that if it does not return your hair to it's previous state, that you want your money back. If you tell them before, then they can't come back and say something about it afterwards. Also, after the conditioning treatment is done, I suggest you feel your hair, play with it, and maybe even blowdry it yourself. Don't let them put any styling products in it because they may be able to get it to feel silky and smooth once again and pass it off as "fixed", when in reality when you get home and wash it yourself it may feel just as damaged.

When you work in a salon, at least where I work, our ultimate goal is to make the client happy. If the client does not like a service we give them, we will do whatever is necessary to make them happy, whether it be correcting the problem, refunding money, or giving them free products. Thank goodness we very rarely have any of that happen, but I know, as well as any stylist does, that it can. The salon you went to should feel the same way, because all it takes is one person to tell all their friends/family/co-workers about such and such salon doing a bad job, and it can really have an affect on that salon, because those people will go and tell their friends, etc, etc. A person wants to go to a stylist they can trust, and even if that stylist makes a mistake, that person wants to know that everything that can be done to correct it, will be done. I think you should find a different salon, or at least a different stylist, because they should have told you that there was at least a chance that your hair could be damaged after all the processes. Good luck and take care. Keep us posted.

Old 04-18-2004, 10:57 AM   #6
(female)

Cypris55 HB User

My hair is overprocessed too. I've been having my hair colored and highlighted for years. I even bought my own salon hair steamer so I can do a conditioning treatment on my hair once a week -- just like how they do at the salons. But about 3 months ago, I found this product called Potion 9 by Sebastian. Its a cream leave in conditioner. Since I've been using it, my hair has gotten so much better. After about one month of using it everyday, I stopped doing my weekly conditioning treatments because I dont need it anymore. My hair has gotten so much healthier since I've been using it. Hope this helps :-)

Old 04-20-2004, 05:40 AM   #7
(female)

LMD HB User
Angry Re: Help-overprocessed hair, what can I do?

Okay, so I went back to the salon on Friday and they did a deep conditioning treatment. They refunded my twoo hundred and change dollars without me even having to ask for it. They also gave me $65.00 worth of Redkin and Pureology products for distressed hair. They insist that my hair is not burnt or damaged because they said there isn't any breakage. They still claim that my hair is in shock and with the treatments they will give me and using the products they gave me at home, that my hair will return to normal. I don't believe them. I think they are trying to pacify me and maybe hoping for the best. My hair looks like a brillo pad. Even after the treatment on Friday and a few more days of using the stuff at home, I don't see any significant difference. I can't even style my hair. I don't know how I am going to walk around like this for the amount of time it is going to take for it to grow out. I don't know why they won't just fess up and admit that they made a big mistake. My friend went to her salon on Saturday and told her stylist what happened to me and he said that he never would have stripped a brunettes hair. He would have told them to let it grow out. He said he never heard of hair being in shock and that that is a cover up. It doesn't feel dry to the touch, but it sure looks it. The ends on the side of my hair do feel alittle dry or crunchy, but overall it doesn't. My hair is layered so the sides towards the top really look bad. The natural curl hasn't come back either. The best way that I can describe my hair is that of a cave woman or perhaps a person of color who is using some sort of relaxer in her hair. That is the texture. My hair was always shiny, silky, and very healthy. I am suppose to go back this Saturday for another treatment. Any thoughts on all of this. What should I do?

Old 04-20-2004, 06:27 AM   #8
Inactive

maak823 HB User

Unfortunately there is really nothing you can do now but continue to condition it- stay away from heat styling and let it grow. Sounds like to me they are trying to cover thier butts on this one. You can find some clips and such to maybe wear it up while its growing out. Don't let anyone talk you into putting any more chemical processes on your hair- it will only damage it further. Also, don't shampoo everyday- since your hair is so dried out- this could be helpful to allow the natural oils in your hair to come back. I have heard some good things about jojoba oil and camielia oil being a good treatment, but I have not tried this myself. Good Luck to you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD
Okay, so I went back to the salon on Friday and they did a deep conditioning treatment. They refunded my twoo hundred and change dollars without me even having to ask for it. They also gave me $65.00 worth of Redkin and Pureology products for distressed hair. They insist that my hair is not burnt or damaged because they said there isn't any breakage. They still claim that my hair is in shock and with the treatments they will give me and using the products they gave me at home, that my hair will return to normal. I don't believe them. I think they are trying to pacify me and maybe hoping for the best. My hair looks like a brillo pad. Even after the treatment on Friday and a few more days of using the stuff at home, I don't see any significant difference. I can't even style my hair. I don't know how I am going to walk around like this for the amount of time it is going to take for it to grow out. I don't know why they won't just fess up and admit that they made a big mistake. My friend went to her salon on Saturday and told her stylist what happened to me and he said that he never would have stripped a brunettes hair. He would have told them to let it grow out. He said he never heard of hair being in shock and that that is a cover up. It doesn't feel dry to the touch, but it sure looks it. The ends on the side of my hair do feel alittle dry or crunchy, but overall it doesn't. My hair is layered so the sides towards the top really look bad. The natural curl hasn't come back either. The best way that I can describe my hair is that of a cave woman or perhaps a person of color who is using some sort of relaxer in her hair. That is the texture. My hair was always shiny, silky, and very healthy. I am suppose to go back this Saturday for another treatment. Any thoughts on all of this. What should I do?

Old 04-20-2004, 01:29 PM   #9
Veteran

Falynsmommy HB User

I agree with maak. DO NOT let them do any more chemical services on you. The bad news now is that there really isn't anything more you can do, except for the conditioning treatments. I also agree to not wash your hair everyday. Shampooing can strip your hair of it's natural oils and sometimes make it more dry than normal. If you can stand it, try only to wash it every 2 or 3 days. If you normally blow dry your hair, don't, and if you normally use a curling iron/straightener, don't. At least for a while. I know this isn't what you want to hear, and I wish we could help further, but with the damage it sounds like you've got, there's just not much to do. I'm glad the salon gave you your money back, and also gave you some products, but it does sound like they are covering their butts on this one because I have never heard of hair being in shock.

I had a client once who had totally ruined her own hair. She had colored it at home, didn't like it, bleached it at home, didn't like it, then colored it some more. She did all this in the span of about 2 days. When she came to me to fix it, it was so fried there was nothing I could do. I felt so bad for her because she had been trying to let her hair grow long, and at this point it was to her shoulders. We ended up cutting it in a pixie style, very very short. I felt bad but she was desperate because it was so damaged she couldn't do anything with it.

I have two suggestions. Have you ever thought of going short or shorter with your hair? If so, that's possibly something you can try. If that's out of the question, ask around and find a stylist/salon that many people trust, and call them for a consultation. Get a second opinion on your hair. The salon you went to sounds like they are just trying to appease you with giving you your money back and all that, but they messed up. They just don't want to admit it. Keep letting them give you the deep conditioning treatments, as long as they're FREE. If they are charging you for these, get out of that salon. But yeah, I would call another salon and get a second opinion.

Keep us posted because I really want to know how this all turns out. Good luck!

Old 04-21-2004, 05:31 AM   #10
(female)

LMD HB User
Unhappy Re: Help-overprocessed hair, what can I do?

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. I have been thinking about going shorter, but I want to give it a few more weeks of treatments to see if it gets any better. I told you the people at the salon insist that it will. I don't think so, but I guess I am trying to be optimistic so I am giving them the benefit of the doubt. I have started wearing it up and I feel better. It's like out of sight, out of mind. This was the first time that I have ever gone to a salon for hair color so it has really been a trying experience. You think that you are doing something better and it turns out to be such a catastrophe. I don't think I could stand not washing my hair daily. I have always done that. If I was staying home, maybe. I have also stopped using heated appliances of any kind. I'll keep you posted. Again, thanks for taking the time to give me some advice.

Old 04-21-2004, 06:22 PM   #11
Veteran

Falynsmommy HB User

No problem, I just wish I could have helped more. Good luck with everything and continue to keep me posted. I hope everything ends up working out. Take care.

Old 05-03-2004, 08:09 AM   #12

OCBoy HB User

The only 'real' solution to overprocessed damaged hair is to have the damaged bits cut out!

Old 05-03-2004, 08:35 PM   #13

Makodo HB User

I am a hairdresser as well and I stand 100% behind my work, and they shoud as well. they shoud provide shampoo, conditioner, and gloss drops I would suggest matrix sleek line, I can't see your hair but this line of product helps lay the cuticle down and makes the hair shine. I'm sure it would help. I hope the help you.

Old 05-05-2004, 11:14 AM   #14

dragonrider00 HB User

I too have very overprocessed hair and a lot of breakage. I was told to use a final rinse that you can make at home with apple cider vinegar. Hair has a cuticle layer on the outside of the hair shaft. When over bleached, it stands up like a shingle on a roof. They suggested that I take about 5-6 ounces of water and mix a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to stop the breakage and close the cuticle layer on the hair shaft. Possibly needing to repeat this once a week for several weeks.

I have not started this yet but am today. Maybe it will help you too. I will post what my results are.

Closed Thread